What's new

downmixed dvd-a or stereo pcm for beatles? (1 Viewer)

matthewRaz

Stunt Coordinator
i usually listen to hi-rez (mostly sacd) by selecting the stereo program (i have a stereo setup). but the "love" dvd-a of the beatles only has a stereo mix in pcm. the downmix in dvd-a is significantly quieter than the pcm stereo (as downmixes always are) - should i just turn the volume up on the downmix?

cwhite

Second Unit
The reason it's quieter is because you're not listening to the 3 other channels. There is no 5.1 folddown stereo mix on the DVD-A. If you want stereo, the PCM tracks are your only choice.

matthewRaz

Stunt Coordinator
my player is doing the downmix. since i have my mains set as large and center, surrounds and sub set to off i get all channels through the main l and r out. multiouts aren't used. dvd-a, multichannel and downmix indicator lights are illuminated on the player (yamaha dvd-c750 universal changer).

the question is about the sound quality of the high rez downmix with the amp's volume turned up compared to the stereo pcm at "normal" volume.

thanks for the help.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Do you want to know which sounds better? Have you tried it? I wouldn't see an advantage listening to a downmixed 5.1 when there's a stereo PCM track available, though.

matthewRaz

Stunt Coordinator
i was hoping to get the facts before trying to compare. it's hard enough doing a/b tests with instant switching let alone stopping, switching audio programs then level matching.

the advantage would conceivably be that the downmixing (blending of channels - not downsampling) the dvd-a program would be a significantly higher resolution than the dvd program.

it would be the same advantage as the format dvd-a over dvd.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
So, if you know that the DVD-A track is higher resolution than the stereo PCM track, but is lower in level...it sounds like you're asking if your volume control will effect the sound adversely?
I've compared the DVD-A and DTS 5.1 mixes at home and prefer either to the stereo tracks.

matthewRaz

Stunt Coordinator
alright i'll just decide for myself.

i guess i was wondering if whatever makes a dvd-a downmix quieter makes the pcm program preferable.

i've always wondered this as the player always defaults to the multi-channel program. i listen, then select the stereo program. it sounds better, but i don't know if its just the volume boost.

thanks for the help.

FeisalK

Screenwriter
whatever is making the DVD-A program quieter is the dynamic range. its ok to TURN IT UP! :)

perhaps the downmixed 5.1 also retains the dynamic range and hence its quieter than the stereo PCM

we're too used to highly compressed CDs without dynamic range and everything is LOUD.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I think you're right with the latter, a volume boost will always make something sound better in an A/B.
I think the re-mastering itself has far greater impact than which format you're listening to it in, even the cd (kept in my car) sounds fantastic...I want more Beatles re-mastered like this!

matthewRaz

Stunt Coordinator
i'm a little doubtfull about the disparity being just more musical compression on the dvd-a program.

i'm listening to the mix-down on my akg k701 headphones through a dedicated tube headphone amp - very revealing setup - cranked much higher than any other sources i listen too. sounds great - maybe less harsh than some of the remastered stuff on the yellow submarine "songtrack."

got to hear the whole catalog when its done - but what are the chances any of it will be hi-rez? i say little chance.

i agree the recording (impeccable here) and remastering have most effect. by far. i've got well done stuff in lossy format that sounds FAB.

so hard to judge - even if i had an spl meter - any difference in level, note, or a stray emotion can affect perception more than bitrate.

that said - this dvd-a sounds great

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks