What's new

Downgrading to 5.1 on a $1000 Budget (1 Viewer)

JustinP

Stunt Coordinator
I've owned a pair of Paradigm Studio 60's (v2) for the past year and a half, and I really have never been truly satisifed by them. I run them with a Denon 3802 receiver, and I've always found the sound to be annoyingly directional -- the soundstage never seemed to disappear, I can always tell which speaker I'm hearing more.

That said, I'm looking to sell the 60's in the near future, and replace them with a new speaker package on a $800 to $1000 budget. I'd either like to get a 5.1 speaker package, or get two new mains (maybe with a center) and a sub.

I know there are many internet brands out there offering fantastic deals, but I'd appreciate it if someone could include brands I could audition at B&M outlets as well. Additionally, I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion for a

ChadLB

Screenwriter
A new SVS is $600 so that leaves you with $400 on speakers and well that isn't much money for the other 2/3/5 speakers.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
And if you want a sub with a bit more than the ELT sub, you might ask about the surcharge for upgrading to the UFW-10.

JustinP

Stunt Coordinator
Should get about $800 for the 60's. I appreciate the internet suggestions, but I'd really like a recommendation that I could audition in a store or hi-fi shop near me. What's worth auditioning in this range? I know Polk has a package (6700?) in the $900 region, what about Klipsch, DefTech, etc? Are there cheaper offerings from a hi-fi company like B&W I could afford, maybe used? Suggestions are appreciated.

DonJ

Second Unit
Justin,
To be honest it sounds like a lack of tuning skill rather than a bad setup.

JustinP

Stunt Coordinator
Don,

That could be. What would you suggest I do? I originally bought the 60's with the goal of creating a system geared toward music that would also do well for movies/tv. However, I've noticed that my listening habits are like 90% Movies/TV and 10% music. So I thought I could cash out the speakers and get a better package for HT. That said, any suggestions as to what I should audition?

BryanZ

Screenwriter
The B-Stock Rocket ELT currently goes for $725 plus shipping. Before you sell your speakers, play around with their placement. Seems to me that is more your problem rather than the speakers themselves.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I agree with DonJ, the Studios might also be lacking a little in the realm of power with the 3802 (depending on room size and volume, setup etc...). They ARE sensitve to room placement, and this can be a very large factor in how they sound. If you are not entirely happy with the 60s, then going down to something like the Polk 6700 would be a HUGE mistake.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Justin,

Since you go to USC, you are welcome to visit my place in Manhattan Beach to hear my Ascend set up.

www.ascendacoustics.com
www.ascendforum.com

How big is your room? How close is the "listening position" to your Studio 60's?

The Studio 60 is a nice speaker. Maybe there are placement issues that are causing the problems.

Nhan_H

Second Unit
You can request an audition for the internet brands from an owner near you. Just go to the respective forum and request one. Or go to Audioenvy.com.

If you must go brick and mortar, paradigm offers some really good stuff (although nothing in the $1000 range for a 5.1 system that could be better than your current setup, if you chose to add to them). Maybe something from Klipsch or JBL or Energy or PSB????

For the same money, I'd definitely consider any of the internet brand mentioned above over what you can get at the stores.

DonJ

Second Unit
I would play around with the placement and also the balance on your receiver. It took me a while to get it perfect. I would also use a good CD to do the setup. Get a sound track like the LOTR and Linkin Park to do the set up with. Using these types of CD makes it easy to tell if you have the balance right or not, hence when you get it right the music will fill the whole back wall.

I running HK AVR320 with Monitor 9’s and you would be hard pressed to tell one speaker from another. Just keep trying.

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
I really like Klipsch, I run them with a Harman/Kardon AVR-230 reciever and I can't get enough of them. Some people say they are too harsh but personally I think they are very good, and movies really come out in bright detail. The vocals are very very clear, and not at all put behind a larger drivers or a subwoofer like some speakers manage.

Of course, to each his own opinion, check out a hifi shop, for $1000 you're not gonna get the best, if you sell you 60's as suggested for $800 or so then you just now have a budget of $1800 which is more than enough for a nice HT system with bookshelves or smaller floorstandings. I know Polk, Klipsch, and Infinity should be within the price range. Not top line stuff, but there are so many types out there just listen to 'em all.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I am not an audiophile or a speaker expert, but I agree that some additional tweaking may be a wise move before you sell the Paradigms.

Could you explain your room dimensions, furniture set-up, wall materials, flooring, speaker distance from walls, and speaker distance from listening position?

All of these things can impact the sound. Even a little "toe-in" can change the sound stage significantly.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter

Audioenvy is limited in the brands that are represented, it is best to post in "open" forums such as this one, or go to the respective forums.

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
I had a pair of 60s v.2 hooked up to my 3803 for awhile. I recently got a pair of used Marantz MA-500 monoblock amps for them. They opened up beautifully. I am extreamly happy with the soundstage of the 60s.

I think if you got a good 2 or 3 channel amp with your budget and tweaked your setup a little bit then you would be much happier.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
As for where to get the B-stock ELTs, just go to www.av123.com products, then B-stock. There were some listed yesterday and earlier today but they appear to be gone now.

Justin,

Please, before spending more money on speakers play around with the placement. To me that seems to be where your problem lies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks