What's new

Down to 5 VHS Titles (1 Viewer)

Quint van der Vaart

Second Unit
I only own about 3 tapes :

The Lion King (DVD coming this year Yippie :D)
Star Wars (Sigh)
Idiana Jones (DVD propably coming this year)

The rest I sold over the years or just gave away to friends.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
I just refuse on principal to buy a Pan and Scan only DVD.
Fullscreen (or non-OAr)is the right word. I don't believe CHRISTMAS STORY was panned or scanned.

The term pan and scan refers to when a TV transfer ads artificial pans and scans to try and show different parts of the picture.

Say for example two people are in a frame and the TV frame can only show one. In the scene, they may create an artificial pan to show the other person in the frame. It is used mainly in widescreen films (2.35:1 is the most noticable).

You really can't use the term for most 1.85 or lesser films where they just cropped off the sides or opened up the matte and there were no artificial pans created. I know the term gets thrown around a lot, but they are very different things.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
You really can't use the term for most 1.85 or lesser films where they just cropped off the sides or opened up the matte and there were no artificial pans created. I know the term gets thrown around a lot, but they are very different things.
Very well said (IMO), Jon. :)

I, myself, have no problem at all with a Full-Frame/Full-Screen version IF it's NOT P&S'ed. If it's just two mattes being removed and we're not losing anything on the sides, I don't see it as too big of a snafu.

But that P&Sing on 2.35 ratios *does* indeed drink through a straw big-time! (Su*ks, that is to say.) :)

Sean Campbell

Second Unit
I still have my old Star Wars tapes ( pre special edition ) which I hope to transfer to disc as soon as I get myself a DVD recorder.
Anything else I still have is mainly stuff I recorded off tv over the past 10 years ( mostly animation such as Pinky & The Brain and Tiny Toons ).
The vast bulk of my old VHS collection is now divided up amongst several of my friends.

Gary_O

Stunt Coordinator
With the exception of Disney and other family themed movies for the kids. The only VHS videos I still own are:

Indiana Jones Trilogy (which I'm hoping I'll be able to get rid of around October or so this year)

The Sure Thing (which I'll be able to get rid of in August)

Sleeping With The Enemy

Nobody's Fool

Brad Hood

Agent

Point taken, but I watch all of my movies on a 16:9 TV. When 16:9 (God willing) becomes the standard, what then becomes of the term "fullscreen?" Perhaps non-OAR is the best term.

At any rate, I own almost no Christmas movies because someone decided they should all be "formatted to fit your screen." Well, not MY screen.

Brad

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
I, myself, have no problem at all with a Full-Frame/Full-Screen version IF it's NOT P&S'ed. If it's just two mattes being removed and we're not losing anything on the sides, I don't see it as too big of a snafu.
Same here. I bought a laserdisc player over 10 years ago mainly for letterboxing, but with a lot of titles, it isn't such a big deal if it isn't letterboxed. At least not enough of a problem to refuse to buy it.

This morning I was flipping around cable and JOSIE AND THE PUSSYCATS was on. The last time it was on I noticed it looking a bit different and compared it to the widescreen DVD. For the full frame transfer they just removed the matte. There was a lot more picture information at the top and bottom, only in a couple shots was anything lost at the sides. So, if this were released full frame only, it wouldn't have been all that much of a problem.

But then on the other hand you have something like THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY. That uses all the widescreen space and would really suffer not letterboxed.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Too many to name. I still own about 150 VHS tapes.About a 1/3 are movies-the rest are TV shows,Anime,cartoons,old rare stuff,etc

I have movies on VHS that I dont think is worth a DVD purchase, but I keep in case I even want to watch it.

Rob T

Screenwriter
I still have about 100 tapes and a VCR. The tapes don't get used at all anymore, but the VCR does.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Heh, I'm not that far down. I'm close to around 10 VHS titles, but compared to where I was this time last year, that's a good number.

Ever since I saved up for my Comp DVD Recorder, I've been converting the stuff that will never be on official DVD and selling the tapes on ebay. The stuff I've taped off TV is being converted to low quality DVD and trashed or traded in the tape trade curcuit.

Of course, I'll still be keeping some TV Taped stuff for the memories. I wish I didn't ditch the first tape I ever recorded around 1983 or so a few years ago because of space limitations, but who would have known I'd have a DVD recorder now...

Tapes I still have left:
Garfield TV Specials: 5 of them
Star Wars Trilogy : Original Theatrical WS Version

And about 6 or so TV Taped tapes. That's it.

BarryS

Second Unit
In addition to the tons and tons of recorded-on tapes I have (which I still use sometimes to recorded movies from TCM or Fox Movies), I have these on VHS:

Star Wars Trilogy (Widescreen)
Star Wars Trilogy Special Edition (Widescreen)
Raiders of the Lost Ark (Widescreen)
The Die Hard Trilogy (Widescreen)
Jurassic Park
MTV's The State: Skits and Stickers
Dog Park
The Blair Witch Project
The Bishop's Wife
Aladdin
The Birth of a Nation
Frenzy (Hitchcock)
Vincent and Theo
Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things
The Mackintosh Man
George Carlin Live-What Am I Doing In New Jersey?
George Carlin Live-Carlin On Campus

Some of those I got free or really cheap from the video store I work at.

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor
my vcr has been broken for months, but I still have many vhs tapes, i will hang onto star wars even after it comes out on DVD, and I will be keeping hook as it has been autogrpahed by Robin Williams.

StephenA

Screenwriter
I only have 3 left, the Star Wars original trilogy. The down side is that they're pan and scan. I haven't watched them in 2 years, and probably won't ever again since it seems like they'll be released on DVD this fall.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I still have at least three hundred VHS tapes, mostly classic horror and rare films from the thirties and forties that have never been officially released on any video format, and are unlikely to see a DVD release.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
The main thing I have left on VHS are a couple of episodes of George of the Jungle (not the live action movie, but the cartoon, with Super Chicken and Tom Slick). I hope this makes it to dvd someday.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Great Movie Stunts and the The Making of Raiders of The Lost Ark
Steve Martin Live
Mighty Joe Young
Bill Cosby Himself
Mystery Science Theater 3000: The complete series (200 plus tapes, all recorded from broadcast)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I still have Billy Joel -- Live from Long Island on Beta. And, I just hooked up my Beta VCR to my home theater featuring my new WS Hi-Def Samsung. Young Billy (from 1983) never looked better! Great concert! Kick-a** audio!

Does that count? :D

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
I have about 5 or 6 left, apart from the WS SE Star Wars Trilogy, I have a BBC documentary on Joseph Campbell, author of Hero with A 100 Faces which is fantastic and a documentary about Alec Guinness from the BBC as well

:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks