What's new

Down to 2 tv's-which one?! (1 Viewer)

JasonFour

Auditioning
Hey guys! My never ending quest for the right TV continues. I've now eliminated RPTV's--I want a TV I don't have to worry about and PQ is priority one.

So I've narrowed it down to 2 sets-very different-I can get either for about 1000 CDN$ taxes in. So I figured I'd take any and all input.

The first:The Sony KV32HS500...a great 4:3 tv with a picture I just love--so sharp and detailed. Only hesitation is when watching widescreen DVD's on this tele the picture ends up quite small.

The other:Philips 34PW850H...a 16:9 tv so my widescreen DVD's look nice and large but the picture on this sets looks a bit 'soft/fuzzy' to me. I spent a half an hour messing with settings but could never kick the softness.

So I'm undecided--I want to trade up from a 27", but do I go wide or standard. I watch mostly standard (digital) cable and play xbox so it would seem 4:3 would be the way to go, but with the 16:9 the image on DVD's seems so much bigger. Also, I'm sticking to direct view because the picture is unbeatable but then I feel like I'd be choosing a (slightly)lesser picture for a few more inches if i went for the philly.

I'm leaning towards the sony-best picture I've seen and I've hit every electronics store in town, and I suppose 16:9 on a 32" is still much bigger than 16:9 on a 27". However I have a feeling with the widescreen the extra 2 inches actually translate to more in terms of picture size.

Oh the joys of spending large sums of money, and committing to a TV for the next several years.

thanks in advance
JASON

(also posted in the SPOT forums)

John S

Senior HTF Member
Well, 16:9 source displayed on a 4:3 is certainly a better size trade off than 4:3 source displayed on a 16:9.....

I went with a giant 4:3 myself, I just could give it up.lol My real HD 16:9 stuff is fantastic on it. Lots and lots of formatting options with the full res native widescreen mode of the display.

Best of luck with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks