What's new

double duty speakers (1 Viewer)

floorguy

Auditioning
Real Name
rob
I have a room with a flat panel plazma on one wall and a 120 inch screen on another. is there a way to switch speakers so one tv seating area uses two front speakers left and right and the other uses them as left front and left surround??? i have run two speaker wires to each location...

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
There are a couple of ways this can be done.

In an ideal world, you would have two ways of setting "calibrations." So, for example, you plug the sound-source for the plasma in via the digital connection, and use an external decoder for the projection connection. Then the sound-calibrations exist depending on the source-selection. (This assumes an analog 6-channel input.)

A much less elegant fashion would use two different receiver/processor/amps. Each would be configured for one orientation. And then there'd be a magic-box with a whole bunch of switches, dual-throw, dual pole at a minimum, with a center-off for safety, allowing you to select which speakers are connected to which amplifiers.

Would you be using a 6-channel system that you just completely rotate 180-degrees, or would it just be the mains/surrounds that would "flip," with different center-channel speakers?

Anyway, I'm having a hard time coming up with a way that having two sets of wires going to the speakers themselves would be useful.. unless they're outfit with something like Speakon connectors, and have a selector switch for A vs B on them already, at which point you'd need to visit each speaker for selecting it's feed.

Leo

floorguy

Auditioning
Real Name
rob
leo thanks for your input, i guess i was thinking it was a s easy as getting a reciever with a duel set of speaker posts and an a/b switch thus the two speaker wires to each location and yes it is a 6.1 system with two center speakers and it is set up with the two areas 90 degrees to each other.I guess i have a lot to learn.. i guess i realy dont need both systems to be 6.1 or your solution with two receivers isnt so bad.. the speakers would be as follows, front left would also be right front and left rear would become left front, and so on and so on... the projection system is the main system and the flat screen was an after thought anyway...thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks