What's new

Dorm Room Suggestions: MMG or Paradigm? (1 Viewer)

mackie

Supporting Actor
Your call on taking your Rotel pre-amp. You can put that somewhere safe, and you can hook it up to your computer.

Mackie's are generally well though of, and they have an extremely flat frequency response. The benefit of using your computer as a source is that there are a lot of programs with EQ's in them. This lets you tailor the sound that you get. If you like bright, you got bright... If you like warm, you got warm...

For less cash, KRK and M-Audio get good reviews too.

Aaron Smithski

Stunt Coordinator

I agree with Craig 100% on this one!

A couple times a year my wife's bank throws a party at a local multi-function center here in town. I was put in charge of the sound system since I'm known as the 'audio guy' to all of her employees.

Since there is plenty of action on the dance floor, a very loud and reliable setup is needed. General rowdiness is the order of the evening -- meaning lots of people getting drunk :D -- , so I choose to leave my best gear at home.

I use two pair of Tannoy 8" Dual-Concentrics wired in parallel and powered by a bulletproof early nineties 90 wpc Yamaha receiver. The Tannoys are high-passed at 70 Hz with an Audio Control Richter Scale crossover, and the lows go to a Yamaha 200 wpc amp running a stacked pair of horn-loaded 12's. The Tannoys are 92 dB efficient, so they do not need much power to get loud.

This system has been known to crank for 7+ hours straight with the volume on '11'...without a hint of stress to anything except the listener's eardrums! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks