What's new

Dorm Room Suggestions: MMG or Paradigm? (1 Viewer)

ian_u

Agent
Hey Everyone,

I'm pleased to announce that I'll be going off to UCLA next year, though it will be a somewhat bittersweet departure. The bitter? I'll have to forego the theater experience and switch to two-channel music because of the ever-present space issue.

The sweet? I get to condense the entire value of my current setup in to a single set of music speakers.

What would you guys suggest for a college dorm room? I'm looking for speakers with an ebay value of up to $1,000 that would be suitably sized for a dorm room.

I've been considering the very reasonably priced MGMC1 speakers, but am afraid that their extreme directionality wouldn't really fit my needs (sitting 6" from them").

I've also been considering the paradigm studio 40's, which seem to be very highly regarded for their price range.

Based upon your own college experiences, which do you think would be most suitable? Feel free to suggest any alternative speakers.

Thanks

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
You need to think through this carefully ... When you are 40 years old, you want to have some GOOD college stories to tell. I say, get a pair of circa 1985 Klipsch Cornwalls and have some FUN !

ian_u

Agent
haha, or a nice pair of klipschorns

honestly, I think they would take up half the dorm room itself, but great idea otherwise.

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
We actually had a pair of Electro-Voice S-15's, Altec Model 14's, Klipsch Pro La Scalas (depending on which year) in a dorm room, and ran chains from the ceiling beams (behind the drop ceiling) which hooked into the handles, keeping the speakers well off the floor.

GREAT for parties, easy to put out the window for outdoor stuff like frisbee, baseball, and generally annoying the campus security and faculty.

AND ... They took up no room.

MUCH better memories than having a pair of Advents ... ;)

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
By the way, if you are determined to behave in a responsible fashion, you might look into some pro-audio monitors ... specifically engineered for near field listening. :)

ian_u

Agent
Well, going in that direction I might as well get a set of JBL SRX pro speakers. I suppose this does raise a very valid question. Do I want to get as close to sonic perfection as $1k can buy, or simply rattle the building for three floors in each direction? I shall ponder.

In the meantime, keep the suggestions coming.

ian_u

Agent
Craig, do you have any suggestions for specific near field monitors? I looked into these in the past, but forgot about them as I got into home theater.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Craig:

I hear ya....but if the kid wants quality to go along with the quantity, those little Gallos can do the job. I just auditioned them yesterday.....they play plenty loud. The CDT tweeter is very highly regarded and has 180degree dispersion. They'd be perfect for near field listening, too. Just cross them over at 80hz and let the SVS handle the rest. :emoji_thumbsup:

ian_u

Agent
alan, they look like bose, they smell like bose, but do they sound like bose? yes, I'm ignorant.

I've seen their gallo nucleus reference speakers in some of the highest end audiophile systems I've seen, but how would the due's compare to the studio 40's or MMGM's if wall mounted?

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Sheesh ... Throw a pair of Tannoy 800 Dual Concentric monitors into that room with the SVS... THAT would be cool, and would ROCK ... and STILL sound GREAT ... and Ian won't need a pink razor to shave ... ;)

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Ian, they are NOTHING like Bose. I don't like them as much as my Maggies, but I suspect you won't be completely satisfied with the MC1s in a dorm. Maggies need some room to breathe to sound their best. The Paradigms (I've owned Atoms, Minis, Monitor 5s and 11s, Studio 20s and 100s) are a good safe bet......you may want to stick with that idea.

Another reason I think the Gallos would work well is because you can get them up on the wall and save space. You put some box speakers in that room and it's going to get crowded quick.

ian_u

Agent
yeah, wall mounting is what I'm doing now and was considering. I have a set of nice b-tech bookshelf mounts that can hold just about any mid to large speaker monitor, so the studio 40's still remain in the lead.

the gallo name is prestigious... but craig does raise a point with the pink razor bit...

refining my search to that direction, paradigm studio 40 vs B&W 705 or CDM1? any comparable bookshelf speakers?

looked into monitors and found the mackie HR824's, which look nice. not sure if I want to abandon my rotel equipment for a set of powered pro speakers though.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
The B-Tech brackets are awesome.....I have a pair of those, too lol. I used to use them for my Mini-Monitors when I had them in back as surrounds. Definitely a good choice for a bracket.

If you want a box up on the wall, also check out Monitor Audio, Soliloquy, Energy, PSB, and Axiom.

I don't know if you can swing the Energy Veritas line, but that is one line of speakers I thought clearly bested the Paradigm Studios....and I love Paradigms.

ian_u

Agent
the energy veritas 2.2 is very swingable. does anyone contest this as one of the best sub $1k (ebay value) speakers?

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Ian - Take the time and check out Sweetwater, then look at some of the companies Alan mentioned ... just remember, when people are in your dorm room, and ask what the speakers are ... how you want to answer THAT question ... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks