What's new

Doris Day Shows Remasters Destroyed? (1 Viewer)

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Paul Brownstein's TV Classics (the same company that put out the great Dick Van Dyke Show sets) had restored and remastered Doris Day's two 1970's TV specials and some of the negatives of her 1968-1973 sitcom for release on DVD.

Now, according DorisDayTribute.com (which I trust as they have some ties to Doris and have been instrumental in releasing some of her audio product through Sony), the DVDs have been abandoned indefinitely, as the remasters were destroyed in a fire, and the cost to begin again is too prohibitive.

Does this strike anyone else as a bogus explanation? I have worked in the accounting end of this industry since 1989 and have NEVER seen a professional company, like Mr. Brownstein's, not have extensive insurance to cover the cost of a disaster like a fire.

Either the originals were destroyed, or they decided there wasn't a market for the DVDs, which why not just say that? Anyone else just think that sounds fishy?:frowning:

Anyone have any info on this?

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Paul Brownstein's TV Classics (the same company that put out the great Dick Van Dyke Show sets) had restored and remastered Doris Day's two 1970's TV specials and some of the negatives of her 1968-1973 sitcom for release on DVD.

Now, according DorisDayTribute.com (which I trust as they have some ties to Doris and have been instrumental in releasing some of her audio product through Sony), the DVDs have been abandoned indefinitely, as the remasters were destroyed in a fire, and the cost to begin again is too prohibitive.

Does this strike anyone else as a bogus explanation? I have worked in the accounting end of this industry since 1989 and have NEVER seen a professional company, like Mr. Brownstein's, not have extensive insurance to cover the cost of a disaster like a fire.

Either the originals were destroyed, or they decided there wasn't a market for the DVDs, which why not just say that? Anyone else just think that sounds fishy?:frowning:

Anyone have any info on this?

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
Destroyed in a fire? Why weren't the remasters (I assume DLT tapes?) in a vault?

Must have been a really good, hot fire to reach them in a vault.

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
Destroyed in a fire? Why weren't the remasters (I assume DLT tapes?) in a vault?

Must have been a really good, hot fire to reach them in a vault.

JeffWld

Stunt Coordinator
Given Brownstein's reputation, he probably had them stored in a cardboard box. Also: did the "fire" only attack Doris Day material, or was there any mention of other materials that were affected?

JeffWld

Stunt Coordinator
Given Brownstein's reputation, he probably had them stored in a cardboard box. Also: did the "fire" only attack Doris Day material, or was there any mention of other materials that were affected?

Mark To

Supporting Actor
I looked at the site and the story is attributed to "Unconfirmed Sources". If you are really worried about this then I would get a number for the company and phone them directly.

Mark To

Supporting Actor
I looked at the site and the story is attributed to "Unconfirmed Sources". If you are really worried about this then I would get a number for the company and phone them directly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks