What's new

DOOM III: Gold news & Half Life 2 min req. (1 Viewer)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I finally beat it. Damn that game's intense.

My overall impression is that it was great game, but I'm not quite sure if it's one of the best. My major quibbles with it mainly involve the repetative nature of certain things, mainly the two boards Alpha and Delta labs. If they only had one section each, that would've upped my impression of the game (although that's pretty high right now). It got to be a chore to go through those boards. They should've put horns on the Hell Knight, but that's a minor quip.

And while it's old school gaming in a sense, it's a double-edged sword: It provides some cheap frights, but some of it is quite silly (e.g. walls that no engineer would put in).

Things jumping out of walls and enemy ambushes do cause me to jump, but damn the only thing that got me to get my hairs to stand on my neck were the damn Cherub babies. I don't know what it is, but it freaks the hell out of me. I've seen screenshots of these guys and not break a sweat, but if I don't shit my pants when I'm playing the game. Granted they're weak, but there's something about their eyes and the way they shriek that probably get to me.

I can understand what you're trying to say, but I really have to disagree with this one. I think the atmosphere and ambiance of Doom3 harkens back to the Alien/Aliens movies. The anticipation topped off with a payoff helped quite a bit. If I did make the Armageddon comparison, it would be more kin to just running around and shooting at everything with no sense of mood whatsoever. I like Michael Bay films (there goes my HTF cred...), but I just don't see the comparisons. The storyline had its elements exposed at the right time with well-divided time for action sequences.

Jonathan Carter

Supporting Actor

That's ok, I like Michael Bay films also so you have a defender if needs be.

The comparison between Alien & Armageddon I was trying to make was that Armageddon was all looks with not much depth and a pretty weak story. Alien had decent looks but the movie was far better as far as pacing and storyline went.

So yes, Doom 3 does have great atmosphere (like Alien, so maybe I made a made a bad comparison in that regard) , but that's about it. The actual gameplay and story were pretty weak in my book.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the game for what it was, but it wasn't anything revolutionary, which it was hyped up as being, and I'll have forgotten about it in a week. Unfortunant since it cost me $50, but oh well, Half-Life 2 is around the corner to right id's wrongs ;) .

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
I finally installed this game late last Sunday night after a few hours of Far Cry (stuck on the 19th of 20 levels) and was very impressed. It is without question, the scariest game I have ever played (and I'm only at the begining - I'm looking foward to Hell!). It also looks pretty darn good on the "low" settings on my P4, 2.2, 512, 64 MB NVidia video card. The only thing I really dislike is having to switch from flashlight to guns because it always takes me too long to do so.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I don't know why this strikes me as hilarious, but every time there's a cutscene, doomguy (the marine) has the least incredulous face of anybody facing the horrors of hell. I know if I saw half the things in this game my fast would contort into a frightening visage, and I'd shit my pants. But not tough doomguy. He sees Pinky (the big dog demon) and has this expression of, "Oh great, a dog demon. Well, gotta kill it".

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member

The description somehow brings to mind 2 folks:

Dante from Devil May Cry
Guts from anime series Berserk

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Been playing Doom3 and enjoying it. Took a little bit of tweaking to get it real nice on my middle of the road PC, but it is a cool game. Can only play maybe 1-2.5 hours any given night, too dang scary to play any more.

But I have to say I think with all the build up and resources of id, Doom3 should have cost $39.99 instead of $54.99. It is a good game, but it's no Halo, GTA3, or Zelda. There isn't a lot of replay value in the game that I see, or clever side quests/rooms to explore on another Mars Base visit. Plus with the volume they knew they would get on D3, that price point would have been very doable. Compounded with the fact that they will license the heck out of the engine (rightly so) to recoup money for several years, $54.99 seems to be based mostly on profiteering.

When I bought it I used $15 in Best Buys coupons, so it did cost me $39.99 incidentally. I'm happy with the gaem at that price, but had I paid full retail I might be a bit disappointed.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I am disappointed now that I've beaten it. :) What else is there to do? I don't dig the multiplayer as much.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
I just picked up an nVidia 6800GT Overclocked (BFG Tech) this weekend and MAN, does this card ever rock Doom III. I was just playing it on ULTRA 1024x768 and it was extremely smooth with the occasional hiccup. HIGH detail works absolutely perfectly.

Before this card, I had to crank down the detail significantly, even on my Radeon 9800 pro. The game looks great and runs very fast. Does anyone know when the first non-id games are coming out with this engine?

As a reference:

HP Pavilion
AMD 2800+ cpu
1gig ram
nVidia 6800GT

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Sweet, what PSU do you have?

As far as the engine goes the only game I know that will use the D3 engine is Quake 4. I wish more people would use it, and make it more efficient while at it!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks