What's new

Donuts!!! (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
There's a place (in my town), that has the most INCREDIBLE donuts! I was bragging about them to the people I work with (since I work quite a ways from home and they don't know of this place).

Anyways, they were (obviously) skeptical about my boasting since so many people boast about great donut places. Well, I brought in a box and let me tell you, everyones jaws were on the ground. They couldn't believe how awesome they were!

Now, everyday, they bug me "When are you bringing in donuts!!!!" - I feel like a crack dealer - LOL

So, come to find out, Epicurious has them listed in their top 10 Best Donut Shops in the US! :eek:
http://www.epicurious.com/restaurant...s/donuts#nells

If any of you CT-ites want awesome donuts, Neil's NY Style Donuts ROCK!!!

Seriously, I used to eat their Jelly donuts with a knife and fork. They're massive and hefty! :emoji_thumbsup:

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale

Hah, that's hilarious.
Hey everyone, if you want great New York style doughnuts, go to Connecticut :laugh:

I also hear they have great Chicago style deep dish in New Mexico...

Sorry, I'm sure the doughnuts are pretty awesome. In fact, this thread and the souvlaki thread are making me very hungry. :D

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I guess it does sound funny, but the New England area (especially around CT) is so tightly compact that it feels like one big region. In fact, the people in the South Western quarter of CT refuse to acknowledge that they belong to New England. To them, it's little NY.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Tell me about it Jeff :angry: - When I wear my Patriots apparel (to work), people give me crap about not being a Giants fan...my response is always "Uh, the last time I checked, CT was part of New England!!!!" :D

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Mmmmmm... forbidden donut....

People in the suburbs and other culturally bankrupt areas of the Puget Sound region are always going ga-ga over Krispy Kreme (a mediocre donut at best) but those of us who live within Seattle know that the place to go is Top Pot.

Local Starbucks shops have recently begun selling fresh Top Pot Donuts daily. Since my office is in the SoDo neighborhood (south of downtown, surrounded by warehouses and sports stadiums) my choices for morning coffee are extremely limited. (I would choose Vivace or Torrefazione, if I could.) The presence of Top Pot Donuts at Starbucks locations means that my morning pastry is of higher quality than the coffee!

Tommy G

Screenwriter
I'm surprised that Lake George's Suttons is not on that list. Their Apple Cider Donuts are to die for!
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

I'm sure the fact that they are light-years better than most of the crap that was available is a big part of it. I live in Tulsa, where there are no other national chains so when Krispy Kreme rolled in to town about 2 years ago it was a godsend.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
David, do you have Dunkin Donuts? I would take DnD donuts over KK any day.

I once asked a KK lover why she liked them and she said "They're lighter than Dunkin Donuts. DnD donuts are too heavy" :confused: What??? Too heavy? They're donuts! They're not supposed to be good for you :D

It's like light beer! It's not what beer is supposed to be! If you like it, that's fine (I'm not going to judge you on that) but if you go around saying that darker beer is awful because it's heavier than light beer, than I may have an issue. :D

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
When KK donuts are allowed to reach room tempature, they're just okay donuts. Fresh out of the oven, they seem to have a similar effect to crack.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
ditto. when you can get a donut right off the production line ... it's gonna change your world.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell

Krispy Kremes don't come out of the oven , they come out of the deep fryer.

Being the good southern boy that I am I can't stand Dunkin Donuts. I really don't like any cake donuts. They are just too dense for me. That's the reason why I've always loved the light, yeasty sweet goodness of Krispy Kreme.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
But all donuts are kickin' when they're fresh out of the grease. KK is no different than the others in that respect...the big difference here is KK serves them hot and fresh. Most places don't, but if they did, KK would seem like nothing special.

Just like the little donuts at the carnivals (Like at the 'Big E') - They are KICKIN! because they are hot and crispy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks