What's new

Don't you hate it when people talk during moves, especially at home??!?!?! (1 Viewer)

NathanP

Supporting Actor
Ok, Ok, I need to vent.
I'm so sick of my Dad talking during movies, I think I'm going to stop having him come to my HT..
For instance:
During "Enemy at the Gates" he thinks it's so cool to name all of the weapons, airplanes, and tanks.. He knows way to much about military..
During "Jurrassic Park" He names all the dinosaurs!
He's been to Russia a few times and he like to talk about his trip during certain movies as "Hunt For Red October" !
And he talks back to the movie!
Especially JFK in "13 Days"
Nathan

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
It sounds like your dad loves movies. You have to find a soft way to tell him to cut the chat but not inviting him to your HT does not sound like a really good idea to me.
------------------
Link Removed
15354t.jpg

------------------
My Favourite Movie

Brad_W

Screenwriter
On the rare occasion I go and see a movie at the theater (or at home) with my dad, he talks or says embarrassing things. As annoying (bold for stress) as this is, I just appreciate the fact that my dad will watch a movie with me. I flat out ignore his silly comments or agree with him if he asks me a question. The worst part is that we both have bad hearing (in my opinion) so when the two of us go to see a movie together it gets ridiculous. My point is that appreciate the time you can spend with your dad watching a movie, regardless of how annoying it is. Some fathers won't spend time with their children (a parental debate for another time) and yours sounds willing to "hang out" with you at least on that level. My dad is actually the one that started/piqued my interest in movies and I appreciate that. I'm married and don't live near my folks so maybe this is easier for me to say than it would be for you to do. But at any rate, just some food for thought.
edited to say that did you notice your thread title states, "Don't you hate it when people talk during moves..." I hate it when people talk during karate moves. :)
------------------
"I was born to murder the world." -Nix (Lord of Illusions)
My Home Page http://www.geocities.com/masternix/DVD.html
My List O' DVDs:
Link Removed
[Edited last by Brad_W on October 17, 2001 at 11:18 PM]

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Maybe you could make a "Shhhh" type sign and post it prominently in the theater? That way he will get the hint and not be offended by being singled out.
------------------
Rich
"A) You can never go too far and B) If I'm going to get busted it is NOT going to be by a guy like DAT."
My Website
[Edited last by Richard Travale on October 17, 2001 at 11:12 PM]

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Yes, talking during movies really ticks me off. Unfortunately, it's not cool to strangle your relatives. Duct tape, maybe?
biggrin.gif

------------------
He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
-- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Nathan i know what you mean...
My dad doesnt do that EVERY movie, but about 1 in 4 he does that... it gets real annoying too, its like 'umm, yeah i know, i know what they're saying!', or he like says what the character's gonna say next... 'uh dad, okay we get it.. you're psychic'...
rolleyes.gif

My mom like asks questions right at the beginning of the movie when obviously they;re gonna explain it later on... just annoying...
Ohwell...
------------------
The So Family Home Theater!
http://www.multimania.com/sonick182/ht/index.html
You're all entitled to your opinion, but you're all wrong!!! - Paul Dalmine

Eric Scott

Second Unit
Unfortunately, it's not cool to strangle your relatives
Link Removed Link Removed
Reminds of the Harry Chapin tune, Cats in the Craddle.
I always insisted that my sons keep quite during movies. Now, if I so much as let out a peep, they tell me, "Shut up, Dad!"
------------------

Deane Johnson

Supporting Actor
One of the best solutions I've seen posted on this forum was to stop the movie everytime someone says something and ask "What did you say?" After a short time they will stop talking because they don't want the movie repeatedly stopped.
Deane

KevinW

Stunt Coordinator
I'll watch any movie with my father AS LONG AS it's not a war movie or western. He's a history buff and a overly proud Vietnam veteran. If you've seen The Big Lebowski, my father is almost as bad as John Goodman's character.
My brother and I love to finish one of his stories that we've heard over and over. Ya'll know what I mean......Yeah yeah Dad, we know, this happened and then this, up hill, both ways. We get it, now hush! :rooleyes:

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
That is what the 'pause' button is for. Just sort of hang on to the remote and when he starts up, press it.
Glenn

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Here's a common habit that I hate: when people repeat what was just said, emphasising their appreciation or importance of the line. Or stating obvious things.
Example:
The Irish guy in Braveheart says, "I told you, it's my island."
Fellow viewer says, "Hah! He said 'It's my island,' 'cuase the Irish guys joined their side!"
Yes, dick, I heard what he said!
Ugh, people are so stupid.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Talking at the theater is nearly inexcusable.
Talking at my HT depends on the atmosphere. If it's the first time screening of a film for the majority of my guests, I ask that it be treated as a movie theater. However when a bunch of old friends get together to watch This Is Spinal Tap, or Monty Python and the Holy Grail, man let the talking commence!

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
As Carlo said, it depends on the atmosphere.
I solved the talking issue the day I got my HT. I just turn the volume up so loud that talking to one another is difficult. Everyone sits down and enjoys the movie.
Unfortunately, it also caused problems. People made passing remarks to my wife that "Ryan sure turns the movies up loud." One even added to that, saying, "You can't even talk to each other, it's so loud." Yeah, that's the point.
My problem is, I enjoy watching movies with others. It's more fun than watching them alone. So, I have to accommodate people. I turn the volume down a little and don't bitch when they talk. Otherwise, the next time I ask them to come over and watch a movie, they decline. It's hard to share your HT with others when you've got an elitist attitude. I mean no harm by that statement: I've got the same attitude. I just have to tone it down when guests are over.
One (yes, only one) of my buddies "gets it". When he's over (or I'm at his place), the volume is loud enough to knock pictures off the walls and we just sit there and enjoy the movie.
It's hard to watch movies with my parents. My father will sit and enjoy a movie with me with very little talking, but my mother is more interested in spending time with my 4 year old daughter. Doesn't matter if she just spent the past 48 hours straight with her; she just can't get enough. She'll leave 15 minutes into the movie to go play Candyland. Then she'll come back half an hour later wanting to know what she missed. (!) My wife, at least, watches movies with me on a regular basis. She likes the volume set low and is quite particular about which movies she will watch, but she enjoys the HT as much as I do, which is great.
------------------
-Ryan (http://www.ryanwright.com )
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Buklis
It's fun to watch movies with others, but it's really annoying when they ask what happened right after they spent a couple of minutes needlessly rambling.
I need a way to rig up one of those "Silence is Golden" intros you see at the theatre before the movie starts.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
If a movie is based on a book that my Dad has read, he'll almost always make comments on what's different and what's been changed, and what's the same, or sit there and try to explain the backstory that the movie doesn't get into. Usually we tell him to just let us watch the movie, but I certainly did appreciate it the first time we watched Dune.
Of course, on the flipside, I wispered "ohhh, that's new" to him umpteen times when we went to see Star Wars Special Edition.

Polo Chavez

Auditioning
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was ruined for me when I went to go see it at the theater. A couple of punk asses yelled out at the movie and thought that they were being cute. Sucks. The worst also did not happen in the theater, but outside of the the theater, when my brother and I were waiting in line for the premier of Episode 1, he had to go use the restroom. No big deal. When he came to the line, he looked a bit flustered, but did not tell me anything. After watching the film and on the drive home, I told him that it I was surprised that Darth Maul was killed. He told me that it was already going to happen when some dumb asses who saw it before us, mentioned it in the restroom while he was in there.
People, c'mon, what happened to courtesy?
frown.gif

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Personally, I think there is no way to get quality viewing of movies when you watch them with parents, so I think we should just view this activity as spending time with the parents, and not as a movie-watching exercise. You should join in, and volunteer comments about the movie, turn it into a MST3K event. I say this because most parents don't "get" the "pay attention and shut up" aspect of HT. And since they brought me into this world, I cut them slack, and I think we all should do the same, or stop spending time with them in terms of watching movies.
------------------
PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks