Donnie Darko: Director's Cut DVD - Coming Soon!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Scott Weinberg, Nov 3, 2003.

1. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

I scanned through a few of the other Donnie Darko threads and I think I'm the first one to bring this up. Here goes:

The full (and rather lengthy) interview with Richard Kelly can be read at About.com

2. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell
    I don't see anything about Kelly confirming that a DVD of this will be coming at all, no less "soon." He only mentions preliminary negotiations about a theatrical release. This seems a bit premature to be in the Software Forum just yet.

DJ

3. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

My mistake. I misread some of it and just assumed it would be a DVD-only re-release.

If anyone feels this thread should switch over to the Movies Forum, I wouldn't disagree.

4. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I'd love to see a re-release. I wonder when or if it'll happen.

5. Vincent_P

Vincent_P Screenwriter

Theatrical RE-release? Isn't DONNIE DARKO still playing midnight shows in New York City? :)

I really love this film. Listening to Kelly's commentary during the deleted scenes on the DVD, it's obvious that a lot of the cuts were NOT done by him to "better the film", but were forced on him by a contractually-bound running time agreement with the distributor (a wonderful scene between Donnie and his dad comes to mind as a scene that never should've been cut). While 20-years-later-"Hey-lets-add-stuff-that-we-cut-for-good-reason-just-to-make-another-buck" so-called "director's cuts" tend to annoy me (cough*cough*theexorcist*cough), I'm all for letting Kelly expand his wonderful debut film to match his original intentions.

Vincent

6. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

7. Steve_Knutzen

Steve_Knutzen Screenwriter

Definitely one of the best movies to come out in the past five years. I'd love to see Kelly's original vision on DVD or in the theater.
    Thanks for the link Scott.

8. Randy Schissler

Randy Schissler Stunt Coordinator

So is this just the deleted scenes from the existing
    DVD added to the movie? I don't remember those scenes answering that many questions.

--Randy S.

9. Michael Alex

Michael Alex Extra

10/4 is apparently the UK release date for the director's cut. For details, check dvdtimes.co.uk.