What's new

Donnie Darko...a very strange movie (1 Viewer)

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
Bryant,

Why not let those of us who enjoyed it be? Your second post said nothing that your first post on the subject did not already say and say better. If our holy grail is an empty coke bottle, so be it. It is all in the eye of the beholder, after all. You don't have to agree with it. But I don't see how calling out those who may love it, such as with your previous "Good grief..." comments add anything at all to the discussion.

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
This film did not require intellectual muscle.

What requires more intellectual muscle? Having to have a film explained to you or having to come up with your own interpretation or explanation for the events that happended in the film?

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
What requires more intellectual muscle? Having to have a film explained to you or having to come up with your own interpretation or explanation for the events that happended in the film?
Amen! There is alot of value and entertainment in a "popcorn flick". It's nice to kick back and just be fed eye-candy. But, I don't want that all the time. When a film like Donnie Darko comes along...it is a god-send mainly because it isn't easily explained or understood. It requires viewer participation to comprehend and follow. I gravitate to the unusual and "bizarre" films just for that very reason.
Bruce

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
When a film like Donnie Darko comes along...it is a god-send mainly because it isn't easily explained or understood. It requires viewer participation to comprehend and follow. I gravitate to the unusual and "bizarre" films just for that very reason.

I couldn't agree with you more. I guess that's why I've been such huge fan of David Lynch. Another reason these types of films appeal to me is that they seem to capture the very essence of our dreams and nightmares. How often can you immediately, if at all, explain everything that you see and experience in a dream?

On another note, can someone please tell me the name of the song that plays while Donnie and Frank are speaking to one another in the theater? The listings for the soundtrack at IMDB (and the end credits) are as follows:

"The Killing Moon"

Written by Will Sergeant, Ian McCulloch, Les Pattinson and Pete De Freitas

Performed by Echo & The Bunnymen

Courtesy of Sire Records/Warner Music U.K. Ltd.

By arrangement with Warner Special Products

"Lucid Memory"

Written and Performed by Sam Bauer and Ged Bauer

"Head over Heels"

Written by Curt Smith and Roland Orzabal

Performed by Tears For Fears

Courtesy of Mercury Records Limited

Under license from Universal Music Enterprises

"Lucid Assembly"

Written and Performed by Ged Bauer and Mike Bauer

"Ave Maria"

Written by Giulio Caccino and Paul Pritchard

Courtesy of Associated Production Music LLC

"For Whom the Bell Tolls"

Written by Steve Baker and Carmen Daye

"Show Me"

Written by Quito Colayco and Tony Hertz

"Notorious"

Written by Simon LeBon, Nick Rhodes and John Taylor

Performed by Duran Duran

Courtesy of Capitol Records

Under license from EMI-Capitol Music Special Markets

"Proud To Be Loud"

Written by Marc Ferrari

Performed by The Dead Green Mummies

Courtesy of Marc Ferrari / Master Source

"Love Will Tear Us Apart"

Written and Performed by Joy Division

Courtesy of Warner Music U.K. Ltd.

By arrangement with Warner Special Products

"Under the Milky Way"

Written by Steven Kilbey and Karin Jansson

Performed by The Church

Courtesy of Arista Records, Inc.

Courtesy of Festival Mushroom Records Pty Ltd.

"Mad World"

Written by Roland Orzabal

Performed by Gary Jules and Michael Andrews

It would seem that it would be Ave Maria, but it doesn't sound like any form of Ave Maria that I've ever heard. Could someone please help me figure this out? If it is Ave Maria, which performance is it and what album can I find it on? Pretty, pretty, please.......

Bryant Trew

Second Unit
:rolleyes
As I explained with Pi, there are films that require intellectual muscle in order for you to comprehend it, and there are films like DD that are simply incomprehensible. Most incomprehensible films are trashed because they aren't as visually compelling as DD. The real question IMO is whether the writer/director intended to make a film that was impossible to comprehend, or if he just wrote a really crap story. That's the real question that potentially identifies the genius you are all so quick to label him as.
This was no Pi.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Bryant,
Thanks for clearing it all up for me. Now I know that when I watch Pi I need to have my brain on at full power and when I watch anything else, I can just switch it off because no other film is up to the standard of Pi and therefore, no other film has depth or meaning. Umm...in case it's not clear: :rolleyes
Bruce

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
John, I never said or implied to shut the thread down.
You obviously don't understand the futility of coming to a thread discussing a particular film, with what seems to be no intention other than to dump on it. I have no idea what discussions are going on around the web regarding this film. This is the only area on the web I visit that regards film. I saw Donnie Darko last week and was glad to find others who want to discuss it. I'd also like to point out that that this forum has rules against contributing to a thread with the sole intention of dumping on it.

This isn't a thread on Pi.

If you want to start a thread on how stupid this film is, go right ahead.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
If you want to discuss a film other than the stated subject of this thread, please start (or join) another one. Thanks for your cooperation.
Michael Reuben
HTF Administration

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Dwayne,
I don't own the disc, I just rented it last week. I want to buy it, but it may be a little while since I'm not even sure I can get it locally. If no one has answered your music guestion by the time I have it, I'll try to give you an answer.
Why don't we follow Michael's lead and leave Bryant's misdirection to the side. There was some good discussion going on here, but once Bryant joined in it has pretty much gone down the tubes.
I was exploring the Donnie Darko web site on Saturday and found some interesting things. I, for one, am having a good time dissecting this film. :)

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
I was exploring the Donnie Darko web site on Saturday and found some interesting things. I, for one, am having a good time dissecting this film.
I think most people are as well. I don't know if you have if you have gotten the oppurtunity as of yet, but I believe the whole text of "The Philosophy Of Time Travel" is on the disc. You flip through the pages using your remote. I just glanced over it, but I believe there are some major clues there. If you are buying this disc at a store, make sure you go to Best Buy. I couldn't find this disc anywhere else.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
I'll have to check out the disc tonight. I still need to watch the film again but I doubt I'll get to it before Wednesday...

I also have really enjoyed thinking about the film and I will weigh in more once I can watch it again. From a point of dissecting the film, which commentary is better to listen to?

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
This reminds me of a brief conversation between Roger Ebert and David Lynch before the Academy Awards last night.

Ebert told Lynch, (something to the effect of) "MD is a fascinating film. I didn't understand all of it, but it was fascinating. I understood it emotionally though."

To which Lynch replied (something to the effect of) "Well then, exactly. You understood it perfectly."

There are many people who consider lesser known films like (among many many others) 'Begotten' and 'Tombs of the Blind Dead' to be classics and worthy of praise, despite their both being relatively slow and plot-thin (and in begotten's case, almost unwatchable). So why are they praised?

IMO if you are solely judging a film based on your ability to make logical sense of the plot then you are working with a pretty narrow criteria. The use of Iconography, mood, pacing, emotional consistancy. The themes Redemption, the existential dilemma, coming of age. Believe it or not, there are some people out there who feel that Donnie Darko accomplished all of this beautifully.

There is nothing wrong with dissecting the movie's time travel and character motivation aspects, but it really engaged me on an emotional level and never let me down in that respect. And besides, the music (Joy Division, The Church, Echo, et al.) was f***ing inspired.

Cheers,

Joseph

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Joseph,

I agree with you. In fact I had said something along those lines several posts back. The tough thing is, that is awfully difficult, if not impossible to discuss. I certainly related with Donnie many times.

Dan_Jones

Stunt Coordinator
I definitely loved this film; just a very original piece of work from a first-time writer/director. I can only hope it finds its audience in the home market as it clearly failed in theaters.
I just wrote a review of the DVD here if you'd like to check it out :)
Great film IMHO.
From a point of dissecting the film, which commentary is better to listen to?
The Richard Kelly commentary with Jake is the more informative of the two I believe.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
all i can say is wow.

any movie that opens up with echo and the bunneymen can't be half bad...to add joy division is just an absolute topper!

i'm just bummed that i spent three bucks to rent it when i KNOW i'm just going to end up buying the dvd anyway. it definitely sounds like the commentary will help figure this one out.

just some random thoughts/questions:

i'm a little confused on the time-line issue. when exactly did the story "start". was it the beginning of oct, or was it at the end and then the portal kicked open?

i figure frank was sent back to help donnie fix all the pending wrongs, but i'm not really sure. i definitely don't think he meant donnie any harm?

at the end, when donnie smiles and laughs in bed (right before the engine drops)...to me that was a conscious decision on his part. but, doesn't that mean he was basically commiting suicide? that kind of bummed me out...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks