What's new

Donner Superman 2 SE (merged thread) (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
fanofthau said:
If it was in the script, then it should be in the Donner Cut.
Without it, the Donner Cut is not truly Donner's vision (just like the blank bullets scene)
Donner's cut would not be the entire script put on film. Nearly all (if not all) movies have some scenes trimmed out for pacing or the scene didn't work the way they wanted, etc.

fanofthau

Grip
Real Name
Nicolas
Possibly.

But you can't really believe that Donner would have wanted the lame East Houston Idaho stuff. I'm pretty sure that he would have had the CGI villains rule the world scene if he hadn't been fired. It's an important part of the film. I can't believe that all the world leaders would simply surrender all their power just because some Idaho town got trashed.

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
PeterTHX said:
Hopefully if they do it the VFX won't be as bad as what they did for the Donner cut. They were just awful. "Superman I" had better VFX using 1978 tech.
Yes, CGI villains rule the world scene would have to be in the style of the 70s.

James Phillips

Stunt Coordinator
It's a shame Warners couldn't have stumped up a bit more cash for it, though. It's not like it would have had to cost a fortune. If the BBC can knock out first class model effects for Doctor Who every week on a small budget, there's no reason why this scene couldn't have been economically produced, as well.
It only needed some model effects, a bit of rotoscoping of Zod and co, a few body double shots (which they did for Reeve), and some 70s stock crowd footage. The bloke that dubbed Terence Stamp could have provided a new voiceover, and the scene would have been pretty near to how it would have been if Donner had shot it in the first place.
Still, it's a minor miracle this cut of the film exists at all, so I can't complain about it too much. :)

Tim Moore

Auditioning
Don't know which thread is best to say this, but having finally gotten around to watching the Donner cut (after I was begging for it so long!), though have to say I did hold out to get it in HD...
A huge massive big thank you to all involved in making this happen!
Wow.
Not sure how to feel about it really. I love it, but it's certainly quite a different film. It's going to take a little getting used to.
What stuns me is just how much footage there was, and how much had been reshot by "the other guy". It's quite weird in places as it's a case of watching the film you know but something is just different, and of course it's because the same scene but shot by someone else.
The test footage and bits of CGI don't bother me at all. They work pretty well. Much of the new footage is fantastic. Some a little rough around the edges, where perhaps at the time would have been polished off had it made it into the theatrical release. Some perfect though. Everything with Brando is excellent.
A sense that things are missing of course because of knowing the other version so well, but nothing really major sticks out. The ending I'm not so sure, but then I never really bought it in Superman either. It looks great though regardless.
Anyway, once again, many thanks.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I'm impressed with the restoration and I welcome the chance to see Richard Donner's original vision. It's a viable and entertaining Superman film. But I still have the same complaint with his version that I have with Lester's. Lois should become pre-occupied with exposing Superman / Clark's identity, and their relationship should have remained platonic. I wish the film makers had gone down a different road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks