What's new

Donna Reed Show Season 2 - May 5th (1 Viewer)

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Everything "startles" me nowadays! In popular culture, I've seen everything deteriorate over the years.

Who ever dreamed that hand-held cameras and dim lighting would be considered an "improvement"? (They used to be considered signs of amateur films.) Who ever dreamed that "reality shows," obviously faked, would be desired over well-written and acted shows?

Actually, I stopped watching network television many, many years ago. It seems like a nightmare to me. Give me Donna Reed any day.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Originally Posted by Joe Lugoff

Everything "startles" me nowadays! In popular culture, I've seen everything deteriorate over the years.

Who ever dreamed that hand-held cameras and dim lighting would be considered an "improvement"? (They used to be considered signs of amateur films.) Who ever dreamed that "reality shows," obviously faked, would be desired over well-written and acted shows?

Actually, I stopped watching network television many, many years ago. It seems like a nightmare to me. Give me Donna Reed any day.
Amen to that! Between jitter-cam, dim lighting, too many commercials on bugs all over the screen, I'm surprised anyone puts up with what's on TV nowadays. You can have it! If it weren't for TCM, I would have cancelled my DirecTV subscription years ago.

I hope Donna Reed goes the distance.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Originally Posted by Joe Lugoff

Yeah, I'm pretty much right there with you Joe. Network TV today just doesn't offer much of anything that appeals to me, unless we count sporting events, news or things like nature shows on the Discovery Channel.

On another front, I will be a tad bit picky and say that I'm very disappointed to see the huge change in packaging from Season 1 to Season 2. I'm kinda a stickler for how things look on my shelves, and these two sets don't look anything alike. No matching features at all. So I may take all the discs out of their packaging and place these in space-saving dvd wallets/folders. Normally I'd have placed these right next to my FATHER KNOWS BEST sets, but S1 and S2 just don't match with each other at all. I know. I know. Very petty of me. And it is the content that counts.

Gary "I'll dive into these in the next day or so" O.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
In this case, I don't think it's petty at all. The packaging looks cheap to the point that it looks like product from one of the public domain companies. I hope the cheesy looking design doesn't negatively impact sales. If I hadn't preordered it, I don't think I would have pulled it off the shelf in the stores. It doesn't look like anything I'd want to spend more than $8 on. I'm afraid there won't be many blind buys with packaging like this.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Originally Posted by Rob_Ray

In this case, I don't think it's petty at all. The packaging looks cheap to the point that it looks like product from one of the public domain companies.
Yeah, I hate to say it but it the case and artwork really do make it look cheap. Heck, it is cheap! I just hate that they couldn't follow the same template on the side of the case so that the two season sets would match on my shelf. But it looks like a completely different series, so all those are coming out of their casing (Seasons 1 & 2).

Gary "oh well, the most important thing is the show itself" O.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Sitcoms Online has their review up. To the reviewer's credit, he pretty much hits on every single issue we've discussed in this thread. Final review score is 3.5 out of 5 and the reviewer gives the set a rating of "recommended" for all fans of family sitcoms.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I finished season two last night and I have to say that I absolutely loved it! The Stones are one affectionate family. I don't think I've ever seen so much kissing between family members in a sitcom!

One thing I am wondering about... As pointed out earlier in this thread, the final episode of the season is about one minute shorter than the others. Since it revolves the Stones adopting a stray cat (and the consequences of that action) do you think when this originally aired it may have included a PSA-type message for the Humane Society (or something along those lines) with cast members and that's where the "missing" minute may have gone?

Greg2356

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marc
Bravo Gary!!!! I think you might have truly hit upon the reason as to why the "Cool Cat" Episode was one minute short! I did think about the shorter run time of this particular episode from time to time, but I just couldn't figure it out!

Thank you for giving us such a logical explanation regarding this subject of the shortened episode, "Cool Cat." Now, I can once again sleep at night!!!! lol Seriously though, I believe you have most likely discovered the answer to this question as to why this Episode had been shortened. Very Good Thinking!!!!!

As for myself, I have only four more episodes to go concerning this second season of "The Donna Reed Show." And I have been enjoying the episodes from this truly 'Great Show' Immensely!!!! I LOVE this 'Show' to the UPMOST!!!!!

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
I must be in the minority in preferring the second season art to the first. Not that either season's covers would win any awards for creative design.

I suppose that the second season art is more simple and retro compared to the first for me.

Originally Posted by Rob_Ray

In this case, I don't think it's petty at all. The packaging looks cheap to the point that it looks like product from one of the public domain companies. I hope the cheesy looking design doesn't negatively impact sales. If I hadn't preordered it, I don't think I would have pulled it off the shelf in the stores. It doesn't look like anything I'd want to spend more than $8 on. I'm afraid there won't be many blind buys with packaging like this.

Jay*W

Second Unit
Originally Posted by Michael Rogers

I must be in the minority in preferring the second season art to the first. Not that either season's covers would win any awards for creative design.

I suppose that the second season art is more simple and retro compared to the first for me.
I agree with you, Michael. Not that I like to major change in box style, but the art seems to fit show better to me.

Jay

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
I pinned down the appeal to me a little bit more now that I thought about it. This art reminds me a bit of the old Dell/Gold Key TV comics. The ones from sitcoms would often have publicity stills (sometimes colorized) on a solid color background and a title. This cover makes me think of those comics.

Originally Posted by Jay*W

I agree with you, Michael. Not that I like to major change in box style, but the art seems to fit show better to me.

Jay

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I see season 3 has been announced.

Isn't that the season with the episode that has Johnny Angel being sung? Wonder how that will turn out.

Greg2356

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marc
Season Four of "The Donna Reed Show" is where this episode is shown entitled, "Donna's Prima Donna" featuring the "Johnny Angel" Song. I can't wait for that season to be released since even 'Nick at Nite' never aired the Fourth Season of "The Donna Reed Show!"

I hope Virgil Films and Entertainment promotes this Season 4 to the hilt since I believe this particular season of "The Donna Reed Show" will sell very well indeed, especially if people are made aware that this lesser aired season is coming out on DVD!

Anyway, here is a link to Season 3 of "The Donna Reed Show" which tells about the 'Special Features' that will be included on this Third Season Release.

http://www.virgilfilmsent.com/store/product.php?pid=350.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
The Wikipedia entry for the show said it was a season 3 episode. That's what I get for using Wikipedia as a source without confirming it myself with an episode guide. :)

Thanks

Greg2356

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marc
Actually-- now I think about it, 'Nick at Nite' did air One Episode from the Fourth Season of "The Donna Reed Show" entitled, "Mouse at Play" with Guest Stars Cloris Leachman and John Astin. But, this is the one and only episode that 'Nick at Nite' ever aired from this Fourth Season.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks