What's new

Donna Reed Show Season 2 - May 5th (1 Viewer)

Elena S

Supporting Actor

Yeah, I was disappointed to see this as well. I was looking forward to picking it up in a few months.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

That's interesting that you mentioned Mother's Day
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
I watched "Dough-Re-Mi" last night on Disc #1 and I have to watch that one again with Mom :laugh: She's a retired Piano Teacher so she'll love that episode.

rcbrad

Agent
Real Name
Rick
Yes, that is the first thing that I thought of when I heard about the delay.
Well, I guess I will wait for the November (hopefully) sale. I always discipline myself and buy my TV DVD'S on sale. It just means having to wait for the right time!

Greg2356

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marc
Yes, I am excited that The Donna Reed Show's No. 2 Season is almost here!!!!! Just another Four Weeks!!!!! Whoopie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hated waiting since I was all ready to receive my Pre-order around May 5th!!!! I sure will be Happy if Season 3 comes out and if the Never Syndicated 4th Season comes out which Donna Reed's Children now do own, I will be Totally Ecstatic!!!!!

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I gobbled up season one and am thrilled that season two is nearly upon us! As much as I like FKB (which is a LOT) I think I may like The Donna Reed Show even more! I can't wait to dive into this set.
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member

There are no "never syndicated" episodes. All of the episodes were syndicated at one time. It was only 2 decades later, in the 80s, when Columbia cut the package down by removing about a hundred episodes.

Elena S

Supporting Actor

Perhaps the poster meant "uncut" episodes that are available? Or is unaware that they were once in syndication.

Greg2356

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marc
Yes, I know the Fourth Season was Syndicated on ABC Reruns that were edited for daytime, but that was when The Donna Reed Show was still currently on the air on the ABC Network at night with new episodes as well. I meant that in my area at least after the summer of 1966 when The Donna Reed Show went off the air and the ABC Daytime Reruns went off as well, I didn't catch the Fourth Season being shown in reruns anymore in my area. But, I guess it was shown in other areas. And it was probably shown in the Los Angeles Area and surrounding Areas as well because when I went to Disneyland with my family, we saw lots of old shows in our Motel Room that we hadn't seen for years!

I do know very well about the 100 Episodes that have been missing from "The Donna Reed Show" with the Fourth Season included among these Missing Episodes. Two years before The Donna Reed Show aired on Nick at Nite, they were airing The Donna Reed Show again in my area in which I supplied all of the Trivia Research on this show so that the hosts could present it every Weeknight just before The Donna Reed Show aired on our Local TV Station at 7pm. Also, I did the Trivia Research for Father Knows Best, Hazel and Dennis the Menace. There were a lot more seasons of Hazel that aired at that time. And if I had known what I know now about Hazel's 2,3,4, and 5th Season Color Episodes being held back because of legal issues that are being disputed regarding who owns the rights to this show, I would have recorded all these Color Episodes from Hazel when they aired in my area. Since my Mother just loves the First Season black and white episodes of Hazel that Sony Pictures put out on Home Media.

Donna Reed's Children have the Family Trust Rights to Seasons 1 through 5 concerning The Donna Reed Show, but do not have the rights unfortunately to Seasons 6,7,and 8!!!! Other Share Owners have the rights to these last Seasons of The Donna Reed Show :frowning: Paul Petersen says it is because of Music Rights. I am grateful that Nick at Nite was able to air the Eighth Season of The Donna Reed Show before it too got caught up in legal right issues! And I am so glad the Children of Donna Reed now have the Legal Rights to the Great Fourth Season that includes a missing 39 Episodes from this Great Sitcom!!! At least I do hope the episode, "Donna's Prima Donna" with the "Johnny Angel" song is included among the other Episodes from this particular season!!!!

Greg2356

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marc
Correction: I had meant in my last post that The Donna Reed Show episodes were shown in Edited Daytime Reruns on the ABC Television Network. They of course weren't as yet Syndicated!!! Sorry about that!!!!!

The reason I had gotten the idea that the Fourth Season of "The Donna Reed Show" was Never Syndicated is because I had called Columbia Pictures in about 1984 asking them about these 100 Missing Episodes from the Fourth, Sixth, and Seventh Seasons. The person I had talked to at Columbia told me in no uncertain terms that 100 Episodes from "The Donna Reed Show" were Never Released by the ABC Television Network for Syndication. They told me this after I had enquired about the missing episodes from the Sixth and Seventh Seasons of The Donna Reed Show which had featured Bob Crane.They got very uptight when I had mentioned Bob Crane's name!

chadHobbick

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chad
What is that rumour? I've seen the film, but don't recall that part.

I never realized there is so much red tape drama around certain seasons of my favorite shows which is preventing the release from coming forth.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
What's this about the 2d through 5th seasons of "Hazel" being in legal hell?

Is the "Dennis the Menace" series also in legal hell? I've read the real Dennis hated his father, and if he's the heir to the whole mess, that might be the end of it.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey

in the movie, towards the end of Crane's career, he's talking with his agent about the rumor that he was fired by Donna Reed after she saw some of his photography.

Greg2356

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marc
Sony owns the rights to the Jay North "Dennis the Menace" TV series, but it will have to first get past the red tape issues with the company "King Features". I don't know exactly what the negotiating problem is that has held back this beloved series from being released on DVD for such a long period of time! This series had such an excellent & sharp pristine B&W Picture Resolution on every episode when it aired on Nick at Nite! It had a consistently Clearer Picture than all the other Sitcoms that appeared on Nick at Nite. If they had used "Legend Films" Advanced Coloring Process to Colorize this Classic Show, I bet it would have appeared that this series had always been in color!!!! I had heard they colorized one episode of "Dennis the Menace" as an experiment, but that was many years ago.

As far as "Hazel' goes, I saw on a website as I was surfing the Net one night that Hazel's subsequent seasons were in the middle of negotiations regarding a copyright issue. Also, a few years ago when TV Land had this show on, they could only acquire the Rights to Season One. I am going to try and find out more information about this... If I succeed, I will be posting again on this subject concerning the "Hazel" TV Series.

Greg2356

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marc
In the late 1960's, I happened to see an episode of Gypsy Rose Lee's Talk Show, and Bob Crane was the guest. Gypsy made a snide comment regarding "The Donna Reed Show" something to the effect of that they were going to make another series about the 'Stone Family Characters' called, The Stones in the Stone Age. Bob Crane replied, "Hey, don't make fun of that show, I was on that show for Two Years!" And with the serious look on Bob's face you could tell he sincerely was defending "The Donna Reed Show". Gypsy Rose Lee just sort of put her head down since Bob Crane responded negatively to her joke.

I maybe wrong, but I personally think Bob Crane just got an offer he couldn't resist in getting the chance to star in his own series which of course was "Hogan's Heroes." I am sure that Donna Reed understood this as well... I think Bob Crane had the upmost of respect for Donna Reed since I have heard that she was such a warm and sincere person. But, Paul Petersen did have a negative experience with Bob Crane during Bob's run on "The Donna Reed Show" in which Paul explained about this on Stu's Shokus Radio Show which aired on December 29, 2008. According to Paul Petersen, Bob made it his business to hit on every girl that he knew Paul was interested in at that time... Paul said by the time Bob Crane left "The Donna Reed Show" he had already worn out his welcome.

So who really knows for sure, what things did or didn't happen when Bob Crane was on the set of "The Donna Reed Show." All I remember is that Bob Crane did a very fine job when he was on that show. I remember in the sixth season when they were reminiscing about the first time Alex introduced Donna to Doctor Dave Kelsey played by Bob Crane, and Donna didn't like him very much because unbeknownst to Alex, Dave had tried to hit on Donna when she was helping Alex out as a part time nurse in the hospital. (Donna Reed did play a Part Time Nurse from time to time on "The Donna Reed Show") Anyway, Dave didn't know as yet that Donna was Alex's Wife, and Donna had already decided that Dr. Dave Kelsey was a Womanizer. (Gosh, I wonder where she got that idea from? lol) So Alex eventually brings Dave home with him to have dinner with him and Donna, so Dave can meet Donna's Friend Midge in which he eventually marries. Midge has trouble containing her great enthusiasm about meeting Dr. Dave Kelsey because she desperately wants to marry somebody, but she finally agrees to take Donna's advice in not appearing to be too anxious to meet Dave. Well, when Dave first comes to the Stone's House for dinner, Donna greets both Alex and Dave at the Front Door with Midge standing behind the Front Door. Donna shoos Midge away, so Midge not knowing exactly where to go, haplessly decides to hide in the Entrance Hall Closet. Donna lets Alex & Dave in asking Dave if he would like to lie down before dinner and at the same time tries to push both Dave and Alex upstairs since she wants to get Midge out of the Hall Closet. Then Donna attempts further to get Dave and Alex up the stairs by asking Dave if he would maybe like to shave, and that Alex could give him a fresh blade. Dave reply's, "Well, I uhh - I could take a bath!" I started to laugh so hard when I heard that line!!! And Bob Crane had delivered that line so perfectly!!!! "The Donna Reed Show" did seem like a different sitcom when Bob Crane was on it. I am not saying that the show was better with Bob Crane than it had been in previous years, but just different...

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
TSoD verified the new release date for S2 for next week 07/28 . I had that date on my spreadsheet earlier. I think I remember TSoD posting something earlier about it with that date as a probable release date.

Anyway, it's in time for the DD sale

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Originally Posted by Jeff Willis

Gary "that set will be my last order with the current sale" O.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks