What's new

Done with Home Depot, from now on it's Lowe's (1 Viewer)

Peter Burtch

Stunt Coordinator
I always have adjusted (read, lowered) my expectations regarding who's going to know what @ HD. That's just a function of the average education level/breadth of knowledge of the English language of many of the employees they hire. It's no surprise given the low wages/modest experience required for many (not all) of the front line folks. I guarantee that only one out of six could even spell 'soldering' correctly, let alone tell you that it's derived from Latin ;).

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I like Home Depot better in general. That said, ever since Katrina sent wood prices skyrocketing, the quality of what you find at Home Depot has really dropped. I often find I have to go through an entire pile of boards to find one that isn't cracked. Lowe's has a more diverse range of quality for its wood at the locations I shop at, so I can almost always find enough decent boards/sheets to finish a particular job.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I prefer Home Depot. PLus they have self checkout. Since both stores are next door to one another, it's really just which one I prefer.

Jason Kirkpatri

Second Unit
The quick checkout works in other stores that I frequent, but our HD quick checkout YELLS out the instructions and is seemingly on a 3 second time delay. Unfortunately, the head cashier that is assigned to supervise the six self-checkouts is seemingly always engaged in a conversation with another employee or ignores you.

The other grociers (i.e. Superstore) get the self-checkout right. I can fly through menus and not be YELLED at by some machine (PLEASE SCAN ITEM...NOW! - well, d'uh).

Once HD gets the self-checkouts right, I'll still ignore them as I'm tired of messing around with getting help from the employees.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I just went to Lowe's the other day. They had what I needed (3/8" exterior plywood) and were able to cut it down for me. All that with great CS, very friendly and happy people, the saw guy even chatted with me while doing his job along with a very cute Lowe's girl.

Home Depot can't touch the CS that Lowe's gives and I'll go, even spend more, to support a better place to shop.

As for the quality of lumber, Lowe's wins hands down, HD's is for the most part, crap.

If you go to Lowe's, at least the one by my house you don't need self-checkout because you won't have to wait in lines, there never are any.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Home Depots around me are really hit and miss. The "Urban" Depot near my place of employment in Philadelphia has terrible service. Typically there is one real checkout open and 4 self checkouts with (2) attendees. The line are usually backed up 15-20 people deep as the self checkout system constantly has errors or fails to read an item requiring assistance. I know it would be quicker to check out if they would just place the 2 attendees on normal registers and let them have at it.

I also agree with the point that Lowes has nicer wood, especially if you are looking for something trim grade. Lowes only downfall at least in my area, is they are not as convenient to my work or home location.

J

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
here's a hint: next time you have to carry stuff, carry it on the ROOF of your mini.

you'll find there's more room on top there...

htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
so... the problems you guys are experiencing... are they due to a
lack of staff?
lack of training?
lack of inspiration?
poor attitudes?

what do you guys feel is the worst of those problems?

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Generally everyone at the Home Depot's I visit are extremely friendly. They may not have all the answers but I don't expect them to.. should I?

Alex S

Second Unit
Ron I couldn't agree more with you.
I've never liked HD. There's never anyone around to help you, there only one or 2 check out lines open at a time, the store is filthy and if you ever had to return anything good luck. There's only one register and about 15 people on line waiting.

A new Lowes opened about 5 minutes from my job. It's great.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
All the above less the lack of training, most at HD had the right answers to my questions, that's never been a problem but everything else on your list has along with keeping items in stock. The last several trips items on my list were not to be found. "Out of stock" was the answer I was given and to return in a few days to check back. I'm sorry but as huge as those stores are there's no excuse for running out of a common products.

Also, HD needs to find out where Lowe's gets their lumber from and get if from that same source, it far exceeds the crap that HD carries.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
I'm a Lowe's/Target/Costco sort of guy. It seems to me that Home Depot/Wal-Mart/Sams go together similarly.

My local Home Depot looks like a frickin' flea market most of the time- just like the Wal-Mart. I *hate* that. Nonetheless, I occasionally find myself there, because they have more products. But, I tend to go to Lowe's first.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks