What's new

Donate money left over from server purchase to Disaster Relief? (1 Viewer)

Marianne

Supporting Actor
This is just a suggestion in the light of the terrible tragedy. It is understandable if it can't be done for whatever reason. We can always raise money in the future for whatever else the forum needs.
I would suggest the Red Cross www.redcross.org.
------------------
Marianne
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here,
this is the War Room Home Theater Forum!"

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
Great idea, seeing how the server needs have been met it would be a nice gesture from the internet HT community to donate.
Wes

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I think this is a great idea. Like you said, HTF can always raise more money later if needed.
I was one of those who were late with a donation, due to timing of my paydays. I had intended to send in a donation to HTF anyway this week, but yesterday I decided that the money I had earmarked will go to the Red Cross instead. God knows I love the HTF, but there is more urgent need elsewhere.
Peace.
------------------
RainHTFpic.jpg

"People always clap for the wrong things." - The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
Anyone in the Vancouver, BC area interested in meeting up? If so, click here.
Please sign the online petition against Warner Brothers' recent non-OAR releases. Click here.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Although we are all horrified by what has happened in NYC and Washington we donated the money to the HTF, not to the Red Cross. I think the money that was donated to the HTF should stay with the HTF.
Now before anyone freaks on me, I've already donated blood and money.

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
What a great idea, Marianne! I agree one-hundred percent. The donation could be made in the name of the HTF membership. In other words, it would always remain with HTF (in spirit).
icon14.gif

------------------
The Dark Tower
jamaris1.jpg

Roman Polanski's - The Fearless Vampire Killers?

Steve Owen

Second Unit
I agree with Gord. Ron and Parker would only be asking for trouble if they diverted the money from its intended use (I think it entanglements like this is one of the reasons they were reluctant to accept donations for so long).
That said, I think it would be really cool if they changed the "HTF Donation Drive" banner to a "Red Cross Donation Drive" banner with a link to the Red Cross donation page . At least for a little while... maybe a couple weeks.
Secondly, everyone who donated generously to HTF for the new server certainly should pledge to donate to the Red Cross as well. It's really the right and decent thing to do, I think.
-Steve

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I, honestly, was just about to post a similar thread here, but Marianne beat me to it.
Ron and Parker, I think that it would be nice if you would donate even part of the extra money that was donated (over the $5,000 goal) to the Red Cross in light of the events of this week. Paypal has set up a page where they are taking donations for the Red Cross. 100% of the monies collected are going straight to the Red Cross - Paypal is waiving any and all fees they would normally charge. The URL for Paypal's Red Cross donation page is: http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr...relief-outside .
Amazon has a similar donation drive going - they are also waiving their normal fees: Link Removed .

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I don't agree that they would be asking for trouble.
When the money was donated to HTF, it was donated with the thought in mind that HTF would use it as they see fit. Yes, the original intent was for Forum improvements, but now there is a greater cause at stake. I cannot possibly imagine anyone complaining that the money would be misused by donating it to disaster relief.

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
With all due respect to Marianne, and not trying to be harsh but....what's stopping the same individuals that gave to HTF from giving to a disaster fund? Nothing! If anything perhaps HTF can encourage members to give to that fund but I don't think the monies contributed to HTF should be touched for any other reason than originally intended.

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
I agree with Reginald. Just because the HTF doesn't have a relief fund donation drive, it shouldn't dissuade you from giving.
Perhaps you could put up an announcement on the main page, and give links to the donation pages for Red Cross, Amazon, Paypal, etc. That way, any possible entanglements could be avoided and having the announcement on the front page means everybody will see it.
(PS--As a side note, Amazon alone has raised $3,647,245.06 as of this writing. I would suggest everybody try that...no Paypal or Amazon account is needed; just a credit card. Takes less than a minute.)
------------------
Have you ever noticed anyone driving slower than you is an idiot? And anyone driving faster than you is a maniac!! - George Carlin
ICQ: 55259446 (or just search for "John Shaft"...can you dig?)
[Edited last by Kevin Leonard on September 13, 2001 at 09:29 PM]

CRyan

Screenwriter
Although, this is a very nice thought, I must disagree with the suggestion.
The donations were made to the HTF for the HTF. Redirecting those funds for another purpose, no matter how honorable the cause, would be inappropriate in my oppinion. Those members who donated deserve to have their money used in the way it was intended - to "Support HTF."
There are many other ways that we can support the relief effort. This forum deserves the money that was raised.
Don't forget that it was this forum that actually became a news source during this crisis. The money that was raised will help make sure the HTF is around in the future for when we want it and need it!
C. Ryan
------------------
http://www.elitestoragedesigns.com/RyanOAR.bmp

Marianne

Supporting Actor
I guess this would be impossible to do without the agreement of the entire membership. I understand that you can't ask for donations for a particular purpose and then use part of the donations for something else, no matter how worthy the cause.
------------------
Marianne
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here,
this is the War Room Home Theater Forum!"

Eric Scott

Second Unit
Marianne
I can appreciate your suggestion, but the disaster relief effort is not short of funds. In fact it is part of each taxpayers dollars that will support it.
So I also request that HTF donations not be used for that purpose.

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
With all due respect to Marianne, and not trying to be harsh but....what's stopping the same individuals that gave to HTF from giving to a disaster fund? Nothing!
I 100% agree. Both the HTF server and the disaster relief effort are worth donating to, whether it be money, blood, food, clothes, or time. Do both.
------------------
Andrew Hamm's new album Link Removed is available now!

Kevin Fox

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin
I don't wish to sound harsh either, but I must concur with CRyan. My donation was intended for HTF improvements, and I already made my own donation to the Red Cross Disaster Relief on Tuesday.
I would prefer that my HTF donation be held for improvements that may be necessary after the new server purchase.

Thomas D

Stunt Coordinator
When I donated my money to the HTF, I donated it for the HTF. When I donated to the American Red Cross, I donated it for the American Red Cross. Any left-over money for the HTF should be kept for the HTF for future upgrades.
------------------
Support the Home Theater Forum -- Link Removed or Make a Donation!

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Again thanks to all that have helped us get the monies together for the new server. It has been ordered and will be on its way to being up and running in the next few weeks.
Parker Clack
Ronald Epstein

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks