What's new

Dolby TrueHD vs. DTS-HD Master Audio on HD DVD/Blu-Ray (1 Viewer)

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Interesting, Dan. Looking forward to seeing someone comment on that. It would explain why it's not as bitrate effienct, and it kind of seem strange DTS would again let Dolby be the more streamlined solution. But it's almost too logical to possibly be correct!:)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

Asymetric or not, lossless compression will *always* bring a savings of storage... typically between 30 and 60 percent.

Why not use it? Any data-storage savings is better than none... especially when even the least amount of savings will be 30 to 40 percent of the original LPCM file size. What advantage does LPCM datastorage have over lossless packing (ie, zip-fileing)?

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Are you suggesting that Meridian Lossless Packing is not a lossless process? (ie, that the data returned is not the original data)?

My use of the "zip" was to emphasize the lossless nature and the bit-for-bit reconstructed waveform.

Yes, MLP is an adaptive algorithm to yeild better efficiency given redundancy in the musical signal and the needs of real-time encode/decode playback. However, I was under the impression that it was true bit-for-bit lossless.

Is that not so? And if it is, then again I would ask, why not use it? (Dolby True HD etc.)

MarekM

Supporting Actor
======================================
from user over avsforum
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=740349

Fox embracing DTS HD Master Audio Lossless

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All confirmed to be using DTS HD lossless 5.1.

Behind Enemy Lines
Fantastic Four
Kingdom of Heaven (Thank you Fox!! I love you!!)
Kiss of the Dragon
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
The Omen
Speed
Transporter
Ice Age
Usual Suspects
Windtalkers
Bulletproof Monk
Rocky
======================================

wow Kingdom of Heaven in DTS-HD master :)

Marek

Manus

Second Unit
I cant believe that after buying new players, processors and displays we still end up on dts/Dolby pros/cons debate :frowning:

I've always been impressed with dts' spindoctoring and yet surprised that have never 1st choice codec by their peers in the industry ;)

~M~

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Personally, I think it would have been fun for one of the HD formats to pi$$ everyone off by announcing that they were going to establish SDDS as the default audio codec, but that's just me playing devil's advocate again.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
Well at least you aren't stuck with a dts/dts-neo only receiver. Sniff...

If only I had looked for Dolby digital, then at least I would be able to listen to hdtv, instead of just watching it...

Geez... rival formats are brought out all the time, and each comes with its own advantages and disadvantages.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member

so, if 18.0 Mbps is good enough for HDDVD (and for trueHD), what are the advantages of the higher bitrate?

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

It's been discussed frequently.

A few quick examples would be more than one lossless audio track (like a music-only lossless track along side the film's soundtrack... ala LOTR) or dual-1080P video streams for full-HD video commentary (like was done in SD for Bambi on DVD) or 3-D applications in the future.

HD DVD *can never* increase its bit rate. So it can't take advantage of future applications that might require a higher read rate, like 3-D.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
OK!
To qualify here, I'm into "lossless".
A BIG part of my excitement over HD discs, is improved audio.
That being said;
We audiophiles are in a very bad position, I feel, with TrueHD.
I'm was VERY disappointed to find Universal 'dropping' TrueHD off titles or not including it on other upcoming releases.
Bad Uni!
Which otherwise, Uni is GREAT for HD disc.
Then I find out all TrueHD is not created equal. I've heard of 16 bit transfers being used for HD disc, butt could barely bring myself to believe it. Now I'm hearing (I know!) that a TrueHD soundtrack that is 16 bit & a DD+ soundtrack that uses 24 bits and is, or considered, better.
Ugh!

I believe we should have a thread on TrueHD releases with what bit rate is being used, so I don't feel like I'm being "used"! :-(

Not ALL TrueHD is created equal.

MarekM

Supporting Actor

Ed can you pleas rank TrueHD releases so far ? wich one is best and which one is only average ?

thanx,
Marek

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
According to Jeremy Erwin who posted this on the first page of this thread:

Jeremy, are you saying that the original recording my have a final resolution of 24/48 in the surrounds or that for the sake of "bit budget" with "lossless compression", the engineer may reduce eg. 24/96 down to 24/48?

Mike

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
and BD has 1.5 x the bandwidth of HD DVD (allowing for multiple lossless high-resolution tracks or full 24/192 tracks etc.)

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

David,
Just how does bandwidth have anything to do with the ability to have multiple lossless high-resolution tracks, unless of course, you are planning to listen to two language tracks at once. Space limitation of HD might disallow multiple tracks. But that has yet to be shown.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks