Dolby True-HD and DTS-HD (1 Viewer)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
A note on Dolby True-HD.

While Phantom of the Opera has the track, it will not play on the Toshiba HD-A1 because that player only handles 2-channel Dolby True-HD, not 5.1 channel. I don't know if the player is complaining about it, or the movie--but the 5.1 track will not play back or downconvert.

Do we want to get into how the Toshiba player converts DD+ to 1536kbps DTS on certain discs, if you use optical/coaxial digital connections and choose bitstream output?

I am not making this up! :)

- Steve

andy wells

Agent
Not sure if I did something wrong.. I bought a few audio cables to run an analog 5.1 mix to hear the dolby plus track. I had the cables going from the player to the reciever. When I did the "speaker test" to adjust the volume levels,there was a "white noise" sound from each one, one at a time. oddly this same sound also came from the sub. Is that normal? I expected a low rumble.. I tried playing the movie (serenity) and the bass was nowhere NEAR what it was when I used the digital cable (and bitstream).. I cranked my subs bass up and still was VERY weak. I switched it back to the digital connection and it was the same seat shaking bass I'm accustomed to.. I can't help but think I may have missed something...:b

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
There is also more than enough talk about this over at AVS. Roger Dressler is even chiming in.

If I get the energy, I'll post some summary points over here to highlight the basic issues (much of what has already been covered here).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks