What's new

dolby surround cd: naive questions (1 Viewer)

William_Gravem

Stunt Coordinator
I recently bought an cd of some classical music that's supposed to be in dolby surround sound. The CD case says "High Performance" but doesn't say SACD anywhere... are these the same thing?

I play cd's on my dvd player, but my dvd player doesn't support SACD. my dvd player won't play this cd. Is it b/c this is an SACD, or b/c I use an optical cable to connect the dvd to receiver... or something else?

do I need to buy an SACD player... how much is one?

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

Well, you'll need to figure out what it is you bought, because CDs don't support surround sound other than DTS-CDs which are fairly clearly marked. SACDs and DVD-A aren't CDs at all, and yes you do need a SACD or DVD-A capable player for those media. It sounds like you've purchased an SACD though.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
i.e. can you tell us what it is so we know what we're talking about? Like the album title at least?

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Sounds like a simple Audio CD recorded in Dolby Stereo Surround [the 2-channel analog matrix a Pro-Logic decoder is supposed to pull 4 channels out of]. If it plays in a car CD player, which I expect is just a normal CD player with no DVD-A/SACD/dtsCD support, the fact that it won't play in your DVD player indicates some kind of compatability problem. Try it in another regular CDP.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Actually, regular CD does support surround sound. RCA, for example, released a whole bunch of Dolby Surround CDs back in the late 80s and early 90s. These CDs should be playable with any CD-capable player.

As a charter member of the Home Theater Owners Association, this is what I received :D ....note "Dolby Surround" logo underneath toll-free phone number

Edit: Here's a complete list of all Dolby Surround CDs.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
yes, but the actual encoding method is still 2-channel, as is the case with all dolby surround/pro logic implementations. This would still be a redbook cd presumably.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Yes, it is 2 channel but it ment to be played back on a Dolby surround equiped rig.Telarc used a "Spatalizer" as their version of Dolby surround on some of their CD's as well.They sound great with PLII.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steve Latshaw
Recent bookmarks