What's new

Dolby Digital on Onkyo TXSR600 (1 Viewer)

BrianMe

Stunt Coordinator
Okay, I'm finally getting my system together.

I have an Onkyo TXSR-600. I also have an RCA DirecTV receiver with Dolby Digital, and a Sony 655 DVD changer. I can't get either to run true Dolby Digital, nor can I get it to run 6.1 on either Dolby or DTS. My Onkyo manual says that it is only support when running multi-channel output from the DVD player. WHAT?! Many of the newer DVD players (including my Sony) do not have 5.1-multichannel output. I'm running a digital optical cable for both the DVD and the DirecTV into the receiver. It's showing PCM (digital?) but not true Dolby Digital or either of the three support 6.1 formats.

Am I screwed? Do I need to take my DVD player back and get one that has 5.1 out? I've sent questios to Onkyo support, but it's the weekend.

Brian

Chuck Watwood

Stunt Coordinator
Brian,

Do you have an onscreen setup menu for your Onkyo? It sounds like you need to go into the setup menu and select the type of feed for each input. IE: Go into your onscreen menu and from the main menu, select input setup. Then select digital setup: This will have set for each input connected to your receiver. The options should be OPT1 Opt2, Coax1, etc. Its possible that your receiver is factory set for analog inputs. Optical is not the default. Most consumers use analog. That should give you a signal. If you are going to output DTS: Make sure that the DVD player is set to bitstream. Also look at your onscreen DVD player menu and make sure that your digital audio output is turned on. Both DD and DTS should be set to bitstream in your DVD audio menu. Your receiver will do the decoding.
It also sound like you might be mistaking 6.1 DD and DTS with the Onkyo instructions for 6ch audio which uses PCM with analog cables. DD and DTS are bitstream from you DVD and should be decoded by your Onkyo if optical inputs are selected for each source. Don't confuse the two. Read the manual carefully. Good luck and hope this helps your problem. I love my Onkyo receiver. I have the TX-SR800.

BrianMe

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the reply Chuck.

I did use the Onkyo OSD to set the digital input to Opt1 for the DirecTV and Opt2 for the DVD player (default for DVD is coax). I don't have composite sound hooked up, so I know it is getting a signal because I'm getting sound! I set the input format to "All" and it is supposed to auto-detect with that setting. I am able to play Pro Logic II. I've been testing with LOTR:FOTR and The Matrix, both encoded in Dolby Digital.

The onkyo user manual is here: http://www.onkyousa.com/redirect_own...00_SR600_E.pdf

If you check page 55, it shows that I need multi-channel input for DD, DD EX, DTS-ES. Or, am I reading that wrong? Is it just saying that it is mult-channel sound? Now that I re-read it, that seems to be what it's saying.

So, regardless, I'm still not getting DD, DD EX, or DTS ES, and both those DVDs should give me DD at a minimum. I can't find anything in my Sony manual that references anything you mention, and there's no OSD, believe it or not.

I'm not an audio/videophile yet, but I'm trying! The whole system is brand new and I'm still getting it set up. I have this all hooked up to my brand new SVS 20-39 PC+ and wow, it sound great in PL II, I just want to hear DD and especially EX/ES sound.

I'm also having trouble getting an S-Video output on this unit, but that's another story...

Thanks,

Brian

Chuck Watwood

Stunt Coordinator
Bryan,

Is your DVD player set to bitstream for DD and DTS? Also, check a button on the front of your player, its the audio select button. Make sure you have auto: opt1 selected for your DVD. Otherwise, I don't know?

BrianMe

Stunt Coordinator
AH-HA! After fidling around with my DVD player (literally took it out of the box yesterday), I've got the OSD working and was able to set it up to support Dolby Digital and DTS, so now I'm watching The Matrix in DD EX. AWESOME!

Thanks Chuck, you kept me headed in the right direction.

Brian

Chuck Watwood

Stunt Coordinator
Bryan,

Glad I could help out. These new toys are complicated. Read the manuals thoroughly and get online, ask questions, search for FAQ's. I think lots of people have Onkyo receivers and are happy to share information. I have an SVS 20-39 PC+. Its awesome. Turn it down a little until you balance your speakers with a radio shack analog sound meter. I also just recently purchased a DVD Audio player. 6ch is awesome. Enjoy. :D

One more thing, your RCA DirecTV receiver will only broadcast DD 5.1 if it receives DD 5.1. Many of the shows on satellite are mono or stereo. Some shows are broadcast in DD 2.0. PLII is a good default setting. Don't be surprised if you see it quite often with your DirecTV.

I warn you, this hobby is addictive. Don't buy too many new DVD's. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.