What's new

Dolby announces breakthrough HDTV -- Pulsar (1 Viewer)

Kevin Collins

Former owner, from the first state with COVID-19
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Collins
Dolby has just announced a 1080P HDTV that will be something for use outside of the studios (like we saw when we visited Dolby at the last HTF meet in LA).

The new TV, refereed to as the Pulsar, will be a light cannon with the ability to output 4K-nit compared to 100-nit for most displays today.

It appears that Dolby will take advantage of 1080 technology in a way that benefits the user more than just resolution. As we have discussed in the BDA-4K thread, having a wider color gamut (on that is hopefully standardized in SMPTE) is a feature that would probably be more noteworthy than 4K resolution as it could be easily distinguishable from any viewing distance.

The Pulsar is supposed to have a much wider color gamut, one that is supported by HDR images on cameras today.

The demo Pulsar that was shown had 4X more LED's than the standard display and because of this needed a liquid cooling system to keep it from melting!

Dolby is also entering into a collaborative agreement with Philips that would allow for GLASS FREE 3D viewing! The reports from folks that had a demo said they could actually move around the room glass free and still see the depth. This is something that has not been the case to date with glass free 3D.

Given that the demo unit requires liquid cooling, I guess it is safe to say that it won't be commercially available for a while...

Who is getting on the waiting list?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Dolby is also entering into a collaborative agreement with Philips that would allow for GLASS FREE 3D viewing! The reports from folks that had a demo said they could actually move around the room glass free and still see the depth.
Depth, yes.

Pop-out, probably not.

From what I have seen of Dolby's glasses-free 3D, I am not a fan.

As long as they cannot emulate the kind of pop-out that can be had with glasses, I think the technology is a huge step down.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Thats an interesting opinion Ronald, considering so many folks say pop-out is just too "gimmicky." Personally I like the pop out effect but thats rarely what I read from others, pros and users alike. Pretty sure if you like pop-out, and certainly if you actively seek it, you represent a very small minority.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks