What's new

Dolby angle guidelines for in ceiling speakers, need to be exact or just close? Micca-8's speakers (1 Viewer)

markm75

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
I used simple geometry to figure out where to put the front and rear speakers in my setup.. triangle geometry etc..

I came up with the forward and rear positions for forward 45 degrees and initially 125 degrees rear.. i've since tweaked the angle for the rear to say 120, because i think its too close to the rear speakers and rear wall.

So attached is the diagram i came up with.. i'm about to install these speakers in the ceiling (Micca-M-8C).

Basically my ceiling is 7'2 and i have two wooden beams to contend with.. about 6" thick extending down from the ceiling... so the 3'10 forward position was to keep the fronts far enough in front of the beam to not cause much trouble, though looking at my diagram now, i think i could move those back a foot and still have enough "visual" clearance to the LP (listening position), making the fronts say 2'8" or so while the rears at 120 would be around 1 or maybe 1.7' (cushions of couch in rear).

I'm concerned i have the atmos speakers too close to the rear speakers/wall either way..

So is taking the fronts to say 40 degrees and the rear to the 120 position too far off the dolby guidelines.. are the rears regular surrounds too close to the atmos (and maybe too high even though i've already lowered them, they are about 20" to the ceiling from their centers).

Any thoughts on bending the angles here? Do I need to do anything with these speakers during the install as far as angling them (somehow) or just make a flush mount in the ceiling and be done.

Thanks in advance

Here is a video i made as well..

Attachments

• atmos1b.png
    atmos1b.png
    159 KB · Views: 223

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Video was very helpful. I would shift everything forward a bit. That will help you come out a bit from the rear wall and the beam in front of you. I would also experiment with leveling your rear channel speakers at their current location. They are currently angled down directly at you. I installed Atmos a few months ago and am really enjoying it. I'm also really impressed with what Dolby Surround does on non-Atmos titles.

markm75

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
Video was very helpful. I would shift everything forward a bit. That will help you come out a bit from the rear wall and the beam in front of you. I would also experiment with leveling your rear channel speakers at their current location. They are currently angled down directly at you. I installed Atmos a few months ago and am really enjoying it. I'm also really impressed with what Dolby Surround does on non-Atmos titles.

Hi there, thanks for the reply..

I actually ended up installing the overheads.. front and rear.. pretty close to how i wanted them too..

You think i should leave the rear regular surrounds at their current heights and make them point straight ahead (or straight ahead in the direction of the mlp)? I had always thought they should angle more directly at the MLP, perhaps not... maybe ill try that

have the tweeters aimed a little left and right of the MLP from each speaker for now. Right now i only have a pioneer 1130 receiver so i toggle from 5.1.2 to 7.1.0, but in the near future i'd like to get the Onkyo TX-NR1030 which should support 7.1.4 without pre outs/amp needed. Still debating whether to slide my side speakers more even with though couch too, than cornered.. i had moved them back to account for times when the end seats recline slightly, making them more side on.. in the Pioneer i have them set to "rear" and "large" rather than side (or small).. i also have the atmos set to large as i saw some said you get better field representation by going with large, even if they are small. (Micca 8's).
View attachment 29502 View attachment 29503 View attachment 29502

Attachments

• atmos3 - Copy.jpg
    atmos3 - Copy.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 99
  • atmos2 - Copy.jpg
    atmos2 - Copy.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 118
  • atmos1 - Copy.jpg
    atmos1 - Copy.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 93

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Its a matter of preference. I have always personally preferred a more diffuse surround environment. I would angle them strait ahead. I would also move the sides forward a bit, but that window seems to be in the way. Don't worry about the reclining position. The sides, back and ceiling should all be set to small.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks