What's new

Doesn't DC have any "Movie" quality heroes than just Batman & Superman? (1 Viewer)

Eric F

Screenwriter
Marvel has at least tried over the past few years [with varying levels of success] to bring other of their characters to the big screen. A few that I can think of:

Spider-Man
The Hulk
Daredevil
Elektra
The Punisher

DC/Warner seems intent on just rehashing old territory over and over again. You'd think they'd at least try to bring some of the other classics to the big screen. (I don't count Constantine because that was just a total mess) How about The Flash? Green Lantern? A Green Arrow movie could be great if done right.

Any thoughts?

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
Joss Whedon is working on Wonder Woman
I wouldn't mind:
Green Lantern
Flash
Aquaman
Green Arrow
Sandman
Jonah Hex
How about Batman Beyond?

Lenny Rakes

Stunt Coordinator
I think Green Lantern if it was cast and scripted right, full space opera an all could have the largest degree of success.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
David Goyer (Batman Begins) is working on the Flash.

I agree, many characters could make for interesting movies if done right. The technology exists to do most of them justice now fairly economically. Its whats on the page that counts most though. I'm cautiously optimistic that Whedon will turn out at least an interesting Wonder Woman...even if it is not what many of us will be expecting/hoping for.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
I forgot to mention this earlier, but a Captain Marvel (or Shazam) movie is in the works. I think this could be good if they don't make it really campy.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Shazam was always cool and underrated. Not as good as Superman, but not hokey either.

Green Lantern? Not enough wide appeal.

Flash? Maybe. The TV show was good for a while before it tanked. I'd see it.

Paul>D

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul Dawson
Also the great thing about DC's movies are they are all done by Warner Bros - so there is a possibility that if they get a few movie franchises going they could do crossovers (how cool would a World's Finest movie be!).

With Marvel there are so many companies involved in their movies that crossovers are pretty much out of the question which is why Ben Urich in Daredevil no longer writes for the Daily Bugle because Sony had the rights to the Bugle name! And it's also why Kingpin can't appear in a Spider-Man movie!

Also I think after Wonder Woman that Green Lantern has huge potential as a movie franchise - a huge space opera with an almost limitless choice of supporting characters (with the miriad of GL Corps members)... with the right creative team it could be really good.

Jake Yenor

Stunt Coordinator
If Wonder Woman a character not top tier like Superman & Batman can pull good numbers I expect stuff like Green Lanturn and Flash to come.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
J. Michael Straczynski wrote a Green Lantern screenplay treatment -- perhaps his favorite comics character outside of Superman -- for Warner Brothers back in the '90s, but it never went into production, coming as it did during a largely fallow era in the DC Comics/WB Pictures motion picture-development relationship.

Instead, that regime gave us Batman Forever and Batman & Robin.

(Would like to read that thing sometime.)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer

DC popped out V for Vendetta and Constantine. And Constantine was a hell of a lot better put together than Daredevil, Elektra, and the Punisher.

Outside of Spidey and X-Men, I don't see Marvel having a lot of success. FF did OK business. I wouldn't scream to my shareholders about it.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i think goyer needs a partner to 'edit' him. his work on blade trinity and the tv series really sucked. blade 1&2 worked cause the directors' visions were really strong. batman begins worked because of nolan. i hope goyer doesn't work on flash all by himself! =).

flash would make an interesting movie, the themes about time, speed and what it means for a person's life in relation to others. very interesting themes.

but the problem with DC comics is... the name itself... DC=detective comics. have you noticed that nearly all of the superheroes of DC are basically detectives? superman/clark kent centers around a mystery that he solves. same with batman/bruce wayne. that's why batman the animated series works brilliantly. look at each of the best episodes, there's a mystery that he must solve. and it also illustrates how smart he really is as a dectective. that's his REAL superpower. in fact, that is THE best superpower most of the DC superheroes have, is the smarts to solve a mystery. anytime a medium that is trying to recreate a dc hero away from the detective element... they loose it.

in another words, all these "mythologies" and other story/theme elements should be developed as a RESULT of the detective element. it's like in batman the animated series. it's in the mystery of trying to solve Commishioner Gordon's frameup that Batgirl is born. the story isn't about Batgirl's birth, the story is about the mystery but it causes the other elements to gel together.

hopefully, whomever works on the next DC property realizes this =).

Eric F

Screenwriter
Hey, I was going to mention V for Vendetta but it doesn't apply, sort of the way of the way Moore's other earlier works like Watchmen don't apply either.

Ooh, let us not forget that total crap-fest Swamp Thing 1 (and 2) as well.;)

Green Lantern could make a very good movie (Hal Jordon, not Kyle), GL Corps and all.

I do like the idea of Green Arrow, basically because he could be played as almost as dark as Batman (and I know most of you just want to see the boxing glove arrow, at least once).:)

Michael:M

Supporting Actor
Isn't Captain America A DC hero? Or am I just revealing my vast ignorance of which hero belongs to which company? Captain America seems like he'd make for a great cinematic hero.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter

Nope he's a Marvel character, but I agree a good film could be made with him. I also think that Neil McDonough would be a good Cap.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
No, Captain America belong to Marvel. He was one of their first heroes along with Sub Mariner back in 1940s when they were still Timely Comics, IIRC.

FF did well enough to be the 13th highest-grossing film of 2005, with receipts in excess of $150 million. Besides the films you have mentioned, other successful Marvel films include Blade & Daredevil. Blade continues to profit for Marvel with the successful launch of the TV series which had the highest ratings ever for Spike and beat the number of viewers watching a rerun on Lost.

Vertigo characters such as V & Constantine shouldn't really count towards DC since they come from a sister line that doesn't maintain a lot of continuity with the DC universe.

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jose Martinez
I'm definitely looking forward to Wonder Woman but I'd really like to see another Supergirl movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks