What's new

Does your top 10/20 accurately reflect your movie tastes? (1 Viewer)

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Since everyone else is doing it :), one film per director.

Taxi Driver
2001 A Space Odyssey
Ikiru
It's A Wonderful Life
Tokyo Story
The Seventh Seal
The Passion Of Joan Of Arc
The Maltese Falcon
Sullivan's Travels
Ugetsu Monogatari
The Bitter Tears Of Petra Von Kant
Singin' In The Rain
Chloe In The Afternoon
Aguirre The Wrath Of God
The Blue Angel
Unforgiven
Tabu
The Red Shoes
8 1/2
Psycho

Matt<>Broon

Stunt Coordinator
Mmm, interesting isn't it. If you asked me what I thought the greatest films where you'd get a totally different list of films. Anyway here are my favourite films. Favourite in the sense that I return to them most if they are ever on TV I'll probably sit and watch them if I'm not doing else. (actually I can't bear watching films on TV that I have on DVD, I always feel the need to grab the disc and stick it through the HT system! :b )

No particular order mind.

Singing in the Rain
Evil Dead 2
Alien
Blade Runner
8 1/2
Casablanca
Seven Samurai
Rashomon
Lawrence of Arabia
Police Story
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (what can I say, I love a dance off)
Jaws
Godfather
Throne of Blood
The Shining
Full Metal Jacket
Spirited Away
The Thing
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Good the Bad and the Ugly.

*shrug* There you have it.

Not sure WHAT that tells you. Any amateur psychologists want to give me a run down? ;)

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
I think my Top 20 is pretty well rounded:

1. Star Wars Saga
2. Superman
3. Raiders of the Lost Ark
4. Jaws
5. Any James Bond Film
6. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial
7. Crow, The
8. Chasing Amy
9. 2001: A Space Odyssey
10. Iron Giant, The
11. Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring
12. The Killer
13. Evil Dead II
14. Natural Born Killers
15. Aliens
16. Wild Strawberries
17. Silence of the Lambs
18. Mulholland Dr.
19. Carlito's Way
20. The Fisher King

Cary T

Screenwriter
Hey Brook, how difficult was it to choose from the Kurosawa and Hitchcock list?
And no Bunuel or Tarkovsky? :)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I was going to say. "One film per Director." I think there are more directors than that. :p)

BTW, Matt Broon, that is a neat sig pic you have there. I figure the foreground is Blue Velvet, but what is the background?

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Actually my favorite Kurosawa and Hitchcock films are pretty firm, that isn't a tough choice to make. It's far harder to choose between Passion of Joan of Arc and Ordet, Seventh Seal/Wild Strawberries/Winter Light or Tabu and Nosferatu.

While I certainly think Tarkovsky's films are great and often brilliant, I don't quite enjoy them on the level I do the films I chose. Most nights, those films would find my way into the DVD player before Tarkovsky.

With Bunuel, I really wanted to include one of his films, I just couldn't quite squeeze it in. Belle De Jour would probably be #21 or 22.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
It depends on whether your top 20 is a list of your favorite films, or the films you think are the best. I assume you're talking about favorites, so to a great extent I suppose mine do reflect my movie tastes. But not completely -- I have two musicals in my top five, yet I am not a big musical fan, and two sci-fi in my top ten, but I am definitely NOT a sci-fi buff.

I know this wasn't a poll, but, hey, everyone else is listing theirs. These are movies I never tire of, that just... DO SOMETHING to me when I watch them. I'm transported, I guess you'd say. The only other common thread I can see is at least two thirds of them are "everyone thinks I'm nuts, but I'll show them" movies, which I guess does reveal something about me, ha ha.

Top five, not necessarily in rank order:

The Sound of Music
Gone With the Wind
It's a Wonderful Life
Fiddler on the Roof
The Fellowship of the Ring (this is the first movie to come along in more than 20 years to make my personal top five)

Remaining 15, in no particular order:

Close Encounters of the Third Kind (formerly in the top five, pushed down by Fellowship)
Places in the Heart
Nixon (Oliver Stone)
Carrie (DePalma version)
The Wizard of Oz
2001: A Space Odyssey
Terms of Endearment
Tender Mercies
Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory
Rocky Horror Picture Show
Walt Disney's Cinderella
Apocalypse Now (original version)
The Exorcist
Tootsie
JFK

Matt<>Broon

Stunt Coordinator
Leaving Ordet out was pretty hard.

BTW, Matt Broon, that is a neat sig pic you have there. I figure the foreground is Blue Velvet, but what is the background?
Thanks! :D

You're quite right about the foreground being Blue Velvet, the background is La Dolce Vita.

How neither of those two made it into my list I shall never know. ;)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
This is a distinction that seems to matter to most people. Not to me, however. My top 20 is my 'greatest' film list, but those also happen to be my 'favorite' films.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I think the top 10/20 is a good indication of what my movie tastes are. They're certainly indicative of my favorites. But the better indicator for what reflects my tastes in movies is in what I own. I am proud to own Armageddon: Criterion Collection next to Red Beard: Criterion Collection. As you can tell, I'm easily amused.

Very few films piss me off. Trois Colours: Bleu and Godzilla come to mine. I love Rouge and Blanca on the other hand.

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Few movies on my list would most find as relatable, but these twenty films are all very special to me for one reason or another. Some may not be what most people would consider the best of a genre or whatever, but these are 20 films that I would not be left without:

1. Lilo & Stitch (2002)
2. Moonstruck (1987)
3. Psycho (1960)
4. Mildred Pierce (1945)
5. Friday the 13th Part 2 (1981)
6. Jason X (2001)
7. Mask (1985)
8. Rebecca (1940)
9. Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, The (2001)
10. Color Purple, The (1985)
11. Grease (1978)
12. Alien3 (1992)
13. Gone with the Wind (1939)
14. Rapture, The (1991)
15. Night at the Opera, A (1935)
16. Snoopy, Come Home (1972)
17. Witches of Eastwick, The (1987)
18. Lady and the Tramp (1955)
19. Exorcist III, The (1990)
20. Haunting, The (1963)

Others that would belong on this list: Hedwig and The Angry Inch, House of Wax, Theater of Blood, Young Frankenstien, Bride of Frankenstien, LA Confidential and The Straight Story

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That is a most unusual list Chuck. I don't normally like to make these lists because I see other peoples' minds tending to close when they make them, but I decided to do one when ymdb showed up. I tend to like comparing my collection to other lists and then what our lists have in common. For instance, I own over half of the films on Dome's list, but I doubt any of those is close to my Top 20. There are even a few more I would like to have in my collection. With you, on the other hand, I only own 4 and don't really have any interest in more than 1 or 2 more, but we both have 2 titles in common in our Top 20s, including The Rapture, which is hardly common.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
My friends consider me to be a Film Snob. But I dont think my list really reflects that.

My Top 20

1. 2001 A Space Odyssey
2. Apocalypse Now
3. The Godfather
4. The Godfather Part 2
5. Seven Samurai
6. A Clockwork Orange
7. Once Upon A Time In America
8. Blade Runner
9. Amadeus
10.Excalibur

11.Dr Strangelove
12.Jaws
13.Ran
14.One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest
15.Goodfellas
16.The Good The Bad & The Ugly
17.The Empire Strikes Back
18.Akira
19.Pink Floyd The Wall
20.Platoon

Actually I am a film snob:D

John^Lal

Stunt Coordinator
It depends on whether your top 20 is a list of your favorite films, or the films you think are the best.
I do think about this a lot. I don't ever want to try and say someone is lying about what it is they really think is a top 10 movie or not because we all have different tastes. I don't know what it is exactly, but i know one of my good friends and i have different tastes when it comes to certain movies and because of it we seem to be on completely opposite sides of the spectrum. but for the most part we know what makes a movie a good one. Foreign films, older films, films that establish something in the history of film put some people more in awe than others. I love history, but when it comes to movies i could often say no to watching something that has something historical about it in it. Like the way they use the camera, how the actors act, whether or not it was the first of its kind or whatever. ( i don't know if i am articulating the things i want to say well enough for you to understand but oh well). But i know that i too have quite a bit of newer movies in my top 20, 10 of them are from the 90's on. But i do know all of them are movies that i love to watch a lot or amaze me when i watch them.
Another thing about lists, is I do not like to put down what I think are the greatest or the best, but purely my favorites. Though I do try and cover all the genres, I don’t cover the ones I don’t particularly admire just to include them. I won’t try and say that Jurassic Park is better made than Citizen Kane, but I will say that I have a much more vivid memory of Jurassic Park than I do of Citizen Kane (never saw Kane in the theater, and will never experience it in the theaters the way I experienced Jurassic Park.) and that I could watch Jurassic Park anytime, where as 2 o’clock in the morning Citizen Kane would surly put me to sleep. I am a firm believer in creating my own list. I do not want any AFI or S&S list telling me what is good and what is not because those movies have history with people much older than I, not that the age difference has any effect on how enjoyable a movie is, but I sure didn’t see them the same time they did, nor at the same time of my life they did.
Really, I think Citizen Kane can never match Jurassic Park in my mind because the first time I saw Jurassic Park was on a last day of school, I waited 3hrs in line, there were 200+ other people, the movie was announced, everyone sang for the Flintstones preview, I experienced all the hype leading up to the movie, and the movie met every expectation. Whereas the first time I saw Citizen Kane, was in my basement family room, by myself on a 48” television. Jurassic Park will be more monumental in my movie going experience than possibly anything else I may experience. So it gains big points for that. Not that Citizen Kane isn’t a ‘better’ movie, it just doesn’t mean as much to me. Maybe if film gets more important to me I may consider putting a film like Citizen Kane on my list but it doesn’t earn that spot yet.
I don’t know if I explained myself the way I wanted to, but I really wanted to say something about how movies should be viewed and reviewed because I too am very interested in foreign and older films and I put them at the highest regard (I try to at least).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks