Does Tim Burton do anything original anymore? (The Adams Family)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by todd stone, Mar 18, 2010.

1. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

http://perezhilton.com/2010-03-18-tim-burton-brings-the-addams-family-back

2. Jose Martinez

Jose Martinez Screenwriter

My question exactly.

Wow, he's going to do another re-imagining of another story. How surprising. Can't wait.

NOT!!!!!

3. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott Lead Actor

Michael Elliott
    I'm not sure why we should expect him to do something original because when he does no one goes to see it.

4. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

A stop motion Addams Family might actually make me interested in something Burton is doing again.

As long as he's not writting the script.

5. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    His people are denying it.

http://screenrant.com/tim-burton-addams-family-scottm-49317/

But it could be like the studios "denying" Nolan's involvement with Superman. They just weren't ready to talk, though it was completely true.

Now, when I first heard this, I groaned. There were already two movies made, so come on. But then I heard it was stop motion and based on the original Addams works, and it sounded potentially exciting. I'll hope it goes ahead.

6. Bob_L

Bob_L Supporting Actor

Bob Lindstrom
    I'm not sure I'd lay the blame for this on Burton. He probably can't get green-lit for anything EXCEPT remakes with the risk-averse accountants they have running the studios these days.

7. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott Lead Actor

Michael Elliott
    He could spend his own money on a personal film if he wanted (considering how much money has gone into his pockets due to remakes) but I doubt he does that (or anyone else).

8. Jose Martinez

Jose Martinez Screenwriter

I think the only person who finances (or partially finances) his own films is Mel Gibson.

9. Brian Borst

Brian Borst Screenwriter

Somehow I don't believe that. Burton has made a lot of money for various studios, so if he had a personal story to tell, I'm sure there will be studios that want to be involved. Now, I think Burton made a lot of great movies, but even I think this is a bit overboard. The current projects he's linked to are a remake of Frankenweenie, an adaptation of Dark Shadows, an adaptation of Sleeping Beauty called Maleficent and then there's this Addams Family remake/reboot/re-imagening, or whatever he wants to call it. Is it too much to ask for a creative individual to maybe come up with something himself? I know that a lot of his movies weren't original (either based on books, comics, previous movies or trading cards) but at least we got Edward Scissorhands, The Nightmare Before Christmas and Beetlejuice. I also think Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter are great actors, but there is such a thing as overusing them.
    Anyway, just a personal rant. And I don't even know if this rumor is true or not.