Does this S-video adapter exist?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by PaulDF, Oct 16, 2005.

1. PaulDF

PaulDF Second Unit

Silly me. I bought a 50' component cable to run from my upstairs sattelite PVR to my downstairs projector. Now that I go to hook it up, I see there is no component out on the PVR... Just S-vid and composite.

The only available input remaining on my PJ is the second component input, So needless to say I would like to make use of my cable AND hookup to my only remaining input!

Is there such a thing as an s-vid to component adapter?? I've looked at a lot of sites and can't find one. I don't even know if it is possible...

If not, do I have any other good options?

2. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

I'm afraid such a thing doesn't exist: if it did, I would have one. The reason is that in composite video and S-video, the colour-difference signals [Pr, Pb] are combined and modulated onto a 3.58 MHz carrier wave; in composite video this is mixed with the luminance channel [which is OK in theory because there is no interference between the two signals; in practice the filters to separate them don't work properly], while in S-video it is on a separate wire. To convert S-Video into component video would require demultiplexing and decoding the two chroma components, just as a TV reciever usually does. The only thing I can think of which does this as a matter of course is a video scaler, and there are some cheap ones intended for hooking up to PC monitors which might be made to serve your purpose, but a simple adaptor certainly does not exist.

Of course, if you are willing to watch in black-and-white, you can hook up the component Y cable to the composite jack and terminate the other two, but unless the PVR has a "monochrome" output mode the result will have an annoying dot pattern; connecting the Y cable to the Y line of the S-video connector [such as by taking a cheap composite-to-S adaptor and cutting the C pin] will accomplish the same thing without the dots.

3. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

yes they exist. of course, they don't "upconvert" (nothing does); they only convert or downconvert. but i'm holding one in my hand right now. it came with my computer's video card. do you want it?

here's one for $8.99 US
    http://www.buy.com/prod/InFocus_Comp...ml?dcaid=17282

4. KurtBJC

KurtBJC Agent

Actually, I think that's not really an s-video to component video converter; I believe some of the Infocus projectors output component video on a 7-pin mini-DIN plug and use this adapter to break it out to three RCAs. There are transcoders that'll do this, of course, but they're costly. Markertek, for example, has a Kramer VP-740 for $1496.25, or a Kramer Reference-30 for $1095.00.

Kurt
    BJC

5. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Does your projector have any composite or S-video inputs?

You could use a switch box to share the projector's composite (use the green plugs of your new component cable set) and/or the S-video (requires buying a new S-video cable).

You might find that analog channels look better when you are using a composite connection. Meanwhile digital channels are better off with S-video or component video connection. Separation of analog channel luminance and chrominance on average is done better by projectors taking in composite as opposed to cable boxes sending out S-video. So you may end up needing both composite and S-video cables.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

6. PaulDF

PaulDF Second Unit

My PJ has composite, S-vid, (2)component, and HDMI.

Composite is from VCR (don't laugh, I have kids)
    S-vid is from downstairs satellite (where theater is)
    Component from DVD
    No HDMI yet

My receiver has s-vid switching, so I'll go that route. Means I have to buy another 25' s-vid cable. And I have a 50' component cable I can't use!

Why do you say use the "green" plug of the component cable? Does it differ from the others?