What's new

Does the longer version of SOUTH PACIFIC still exist? (1 Viewer)

Carlos_M_Nash

Auditioning
Hello all,

I decided to join this forum after reading some interesting facts and thoughts from South Pacific and Carousel.

As regards Carousel, I have noticed the dubbed line when I bought the remastered CD. To me, it definitely didn't sound like Shirley Jones. I also had a suspicion that it was Marni Nixon because of her characteristic light voice.

As regards South Pacific, I was thrilled to hear that the roadshow version was found and is being cleaned up by Fox. Earlier in this thread, a few people mentioned the possibility of removing the coloured filters. I have thought about this for a long time when I was teen and really into the film. On the technical side, it can be done. I recently did some quick tests to see how much work would actually need to be put into it. Some colours were easier to correct.

To see test images, go to my web site:
h t t p://w w w.uweb.ucsb.edu/~cmnash/graphics/southpacific/
[This forum won't let me post images until I make 15 posts. If anyone would like to post them, please feel free to do so.]

However, then we are left with the soft edges, like someone has smeared petroleum jelly on the edges of the lens. Also, with the coloured filters removed, it becomes revealing how many shots were done under grey skies. On the artistic side, I have never been able to quite determine what was Josh Logan's intention. Did he want the filters? Were they too strong? I would prefer to represent the director's intention.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
josh Logan talks about the filters in hsi autobiography. It was supposed to be a subtle color change. Fox poured too much color into it.

Paul Linfesty

Stunt Coordinator

The prologue also contained a shot fo Dolittle riding a giraffe 9shown in illustration in the ad campaign. However, after a disasterous sneak preview in Minneapolis, the whole prologue was dropped. This is documented in the book, "The Studio," written in the 60's about 20th Century Fox. Wall Street Journal reporter was given full access to the studeio for a year at the time Dr. Dolittle was made, sneaked and released.

The DVD certainly conforms to the new 70mm Todd-AO print that Fox struck and that was exhibited in Los Angeles last year. (Even though the DVD was transferred from 35mm, it's an excellent effort).

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Wow! Now THAT'S what I'm talking about! Fox should release SOUTH PACIFIC on DVD in two versions: one with those damn filters and one without, in a 2 disc SE. As I have stated before, as much as I love Mitzi Gaynor's work on film and TV, to me SOUTH PACIFIC is unwatchable because of those ridiculous filters!

Carlos_M_Nash

Auditioning
Thanks to everyone for the kind comments, and to Mike for posting the images. I know these could be done a lot better if I had sat down and thought out a systematic method. For each frame, it only took me approximately 5 minutes of tweaking it in Photoshop to get the results you see here.

I hope someone at Fox would find this interesting and attempt to do this on a larger scale.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
I'm a bit skeptical that the picture would look that good with the color taken away. If so why hasn't FOX done so already?

But If the picture does truly look like those shots then I would have to suggest that some of the color be left in to keep the mood of the film. Otherwise the grey clouds and overcast skies would give the film a deary look.

Besides in some of the songs the filters work quite well, but it would be great if FOX could reduce the amount of tint and maybe get the picture to look the way Josha Logan intended.

Carlos_M_Nash

Auditioning
I think reducing the amount of the colour filter to something more 'subtle' would be a good way to go. Thanks to Joe, I now know that Josh Logan has an autobiography out and that he wanted a more 'subtle' effect. I should try to track that book down. I might try experimenting with that tonight when I get out of classes.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm a bit skeptical that the picture would look that good with the color taken away. If so why hasn't FOX done so already?
Like Joe & Carlos say, Josh Logan meant for them to be there. He did it on purpose. So even though some of us (including me) hate them, they ARE the artist's vision. This really becomes a very similar argument to OAR vs. MAR.

With that said, I'm with Charles, give us a 2-disc version with & without filters! ;)

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Carlos, the Logan memior is simply called "Josh" and it came out in the mid-70s. Check it out at a library or buy a used copy from eBay.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
One question remains.

How did Fox take the filtering to the extreme level? And why couldn't they do retakes or see the dailies before hand?

Carlos_M_Nash

Auditioning
Thanks, Charles, for the details on the book. I found it in the University of California catalogue. It's tucked away in some regional holding centre and will be sent to me soon.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
There are two books on his life. The book to read is MOVIE STARS, REAL PEOPLE, AND ME by Joshua Logan. It goes into detail about the films he directed.

According to his book, he thought the color filters would be subtle. He was off directing a show in New York when "South Pacific" was edited and the Lab processed the color filter shots.

When the film was completed, Logan was shocked when he saw how the color "screeched" the way it did. He wanted the tints removed. But there wasn't enough time before the scheduled opening (This was a roadshow and tickets were purchased well in advance, FOX couldn't refund any money) The lab would need three months to take out the color. So the film was released as is.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well, if the story, as Greg re-tells it, is true...I'm all for granting the director his original artistic vision! :D

I think we oughtta wash those filters right outta the film! :D

Greg_M

Screenwriter
The book says "I'm gonna wash that man out of my hair" was filmed but Oscar Hammerstien didn't like it. So Logan reshot it another way and Oscar still didn't like it so out it went.

Carlos_M_Nash

Auditioning
Well, there's now another book I'll have to find. I was able to experiment with making the filters much less shocking. Personally, I liked them muted; they're not as jolting.

Yet again, I'm not able to post links or images. So here's my URL with a few spaces.

h t t p://w w w.uweb.ucsb.edu/~cmnash/graphics/southpacific/subtle

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Carlos: I'm glad to be the one to be able to help you out again. HERE is the link to his directory of images where he has simply muted the filters.

And, a couple of examples:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks