What's new

Does the longer version of SOUTH PACIFIC still exist? (2 Viewers)

DeeF

Screenwriter
I have an unpopular opinion about the filters in South Pacific. I kinda...like them.

Well, they're at least unusual.

For those purists here, I think it would be a mistake and a bit of a tragedy to "remove" them digitally. They belong in the film, as they were always there.

I would like to see the film retooled like its original roadshow, though, re-arranging the scenes to make more sense.

I also think all of these films need major film restoration work, to the films themselves, including Oklahoma!, Carousel, The King and I, Flower Drum Song, State Fair (1962), and The Sound of Music.

David Grove

Stunt Coordinator
Wondering if there might be any new developments?

I am a true R&H fan, and would be delighted to double dip on any of them.

Regarding the comment about the original negatives... can anyone comment further? Are they beyond hope?

DG

Drew Salzan

Second Unit
Back to South Pacific. The regular general release 35mm Panavision prints (released by Twentieth Century Fox) were in color by DeLuxe Labs. The 70mm Todd-AO prints (released by Magna Corp.) were Technicolor. If you compare the opening titles of both versions you will see this very clearly. It's possible that the original 65mm negative was photographed in Eastman Color, but the 35mm prints were processed by DeLuxe and the 70mm ones by Technicolor.

Paul Linfesty

Stunt Coordinator

Yes, but it must be understood that the 70mm prints were Eastman color printed by the Technicolor corporation, NOT the much hearlded 3-strip dye transfer process that Technicolor was known for (Technicolor didn't support IB technology for 70mm prints).

David Grove

Stunt Coordinator
In addition to SP needing a reconstruction, the ONs to Oklahoma (Todd-AO version), King & I, and Carousel are supposedly in terrible condition.
Would this mean that Oklahoma!, King & I, and Carousel need restoration, but South Pacific, although needing reconstruction, is in good shape, regarding the elements?

DG

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
This may be off the subject but why hasn't FLOWER DRUM SONG been released on DVD yet? Universal holds the rights.
Also in 1966, when "Sound of Music" was at its height of popularity they rereleased "King and I" at the Cinerama theater in San Diego in 70mm. The ad in the newspaper at the time said "Exclusive only US showing".

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I know that when South pacific was transferred for laserdisc off of 70mm, there was a lot of problems.
It would be nice to see theuncut South Pacifc and to reconstruct theuncut Gonna Wash that man right oughta my Hair. Also shot, but not used was thesong Loneliness of Evening.
The recording of the song still exists.
The King and I 70mm was blown up from 55 or 35 and rto fit the 2.20 of 70mm was probably missing the sides onthe blowup. Igt was at that time that the fake Overture and Intermission music was added. They were not a part of the original release. the Overture on the record album and soundtrack cd was writtne specifically for the album.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I forgot to mention, inthe recebnt issue of the Rodgers and Hammerstein newsletter, there was an articfle abot R and H shows on video. the R and H people sympathised with those who want Flower Drum Song and even told readers to ask Universal as they have the rights, R and H doesn't. It would be nice to have this on DVD in the original three track sound (the film had no surrounds). It would also be great to have the 1962 State Fair in a good letterbox master.

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
I can't state this is absolute fact, because the information came to me from a secondary source, but a pal of mine was at a party last night where a very high-up Fox Video executive was also present, and this executive confirmed that next year the company will be releasing the complete, uncut ROADSHOW version of SOUTH PACIFIC, as well as the shorter general release version of the film in a 2 disc deluxe set.

I didn't get more details, but I assume new transfers in 16x9 from recently restored materials on CAROUSEL and KING AND I will be accompanying it, since it has been confirmed elsewhere that Fox recently restored both of those from their CinemaScope 55 elements.

If this does happen, regardless of the fact that I think SOUTH PACIFIC is a terribly flawed (and mostly boring) film, it would be another victory in the never-ending quest for film restoration. So if it is true, cheers to Fox and cheers to the Rodgers & Hammerstein Company (they still own this movie as well as Oklahoma!)

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Yes, there will be a two disc set of both versions of South Pacific. This and the new King and I and Carousel are about a year away from release. I hope they add on other goodies that exist including the alternate foreign opening reel fo rSouth Pacifc. and the dubbing test for John Kerr.

David Grove

Stunt Coordinator
Perhaps, at least chapter breaks could be made so that the alternate continuity could be simulated. (If not a seamless branch option).

DG

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
No matter what Fox does, it'll still be unwatchable if they don't do something about those *%@*!?$ING filters!!!!

David Grove

Stunt Coordinator
I tend to think the filters serve a purpose, and even like them.

It establishes a visual cue that signifies an alternate reality-- an other-worldly, idyllic sort of place, if you will), and therefore contributes to the setting, atmosphere, and the telling of the story.

In my opinion.

DG

Greg_M

Screenwriter
David, I agree with you. The filters do - for the most part - provide atmostphere especially in the "Bali Hi" & "Some Enchanted Evening" sequences. The filters in the second half of the film also give a magical mood to "Carefully Taught" and "This Nearly Was Mine" but I don't think they work for all the numbers.

As Charles pointed out, sometimes the filters go way too far and the screen becomes a blurry mess. FOX could probably tone down the filters even futher than they did for the last release and maybe restore some of the natural color.

The film can be slow going, but this film was the top box-office draw of 1958.

David Grove

Stunt Coordinator
I think there was another discussion about the intensity of the filter effect being more than was originally intended. If there is definitive knowledge regarding this, perhaps the effect could be digitally adjusted according to the director's original intentions.

Of course, this would open its own can of worms, no doubt.

DG

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
Now Fox needs to restore the original roadshow version of DOCTOR DOLITTLE...apparently a couple of songs contained in the soundtrack album are missing from current 152-minute prints of the film. I just found this out a few days ago...why am I always the last to know? :) I know many hate this film, but I have fond memories of it from childhood, and would love to see the complete original version. I believe it was cut even further at one time, to 145 minutes, wasn't it?

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Bad news on doolittle. What we have on dvd IS the complete roadshow version. The film was cut to current lenght BEFORE its opening in New York and los angeles.
In the early nineties, Fox Vid looked into a longer Dr. dolittle but found nothing.

TonyDale

Second Unit
Oy! The ONLY version I'd ever seen theatrically of DOLITTLE in NOT THE ONE represented on dvd!
At the Manor Theater in Squirrel Hill, PA, the film started with Dolittle extracting a crocodile's tooth before the credit sequence; Matthew and Emma sang more of "Beautiful Things;" Dolittle had a second ballad in Act Two. . .
At the Liberty Theater in New Kensington, PA, the same version was shown.
The only difference between the theaters is that the Manor had "Reserved Seating," while the Liberty (months, if not a year later) was doing a series of Family Film matinees.
Sad to think that all that wonderful footage had disappeared, but, on a positive note, it's always great to hear Emma's "If I were a man" intro to "At the Crossroads." (One of best sets of lyrics Leslie has ever done).

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
Oy! The ONLY version I'd ever seen theatrically of DOLITTLE in NOT THE ONE represented on dvd! At the Manor Theater in Squirrel Hill, PA, the film started with Dolittle extracting a crocodile's tooth before the credit sequence; Matthew and Emma sang more of "Beautiful Things;" Dolittle had a second ballad in Act Two...

At the Liberty Theater in New Kensington, PA, the same version was shown. The only difference between the theaters is that the Manor had "Reserved Seating," while the Liberty (months, if not a year later) was doing a series of Family Film matinees.

Sad to think that all that wonderful footage had disappeared, but, on a positive note, it's always great to hear Emma's "If I were a man" intro to "At the Crossroads." (One of best sets of lyrics Leslie has ever done).
I wish I'd seen that!!! You lucky little #$^%$#...

Your memory certainly doesn't jive with Joe Caps' assertion...were those Pennsylvania showings special sneak previews which occurred before the official roadshow opening, before it showed in New York and Los Angeles?

Howard S

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, there will be a two disc set of both versions of South Pacific.
Wonderful news...I can't wait.

Joe,

Are you able to reveal at this stage what type of elements were found, and what state they are in? Will work be required to get them to fit seamlessly into the existing footage?

Also, will the film get a 'proper' restoration (e.g. to remove the need for those duplicated frames mentioned earlier in this thread) as part of this release?

Howard.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks