What's new

Does Phillips make good TV's? (1 Viewer)

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
I have not had much experience but am thinking about getting the 32' Phillips HDTV...any problems with Phillips?

Luke*Ho

Grip
I have the philips 34pw8520 and have been very very pleased. The picture is stunning! Esp coupled with a progressive scan DVD player.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
I'd be careful because they seem to match their TV's to their Progressive DVD players that have the picture shifted up about an inch. If you don't run a Philips DVD with it you may end up cropping the bottom of the picture off DVD's and of course any regular TV programming. At least that's what I've seen with the older HDTV monitor I have as a loaner right now. It also overscans the left side terribly, so overall I'm losing a lot of image. Nothing looks quite as wide as my RCA, but that's probably due to the low overscan RCA's exhibit.
Picture quality is good on the one I have, but it has a problem with one of the scan guns. and produces some horrid lines. Then again, it has to be a loaner for some reason.

If you're looking at one I recommend you getting the store to run a DVD player on it (preferably one like you have) to see if the image is shifted. If you run something that's 2.35:1 you'll easily see if it's cropping image off the bottom since the top black bar will be signicantly thicker than the bottom one.

Claire Panke

Second Unit
I have a Philips 34PW9818 and the picture is wonderful. I've had no problems whatsoever...and I don't use a Philips DVD player, I use a Panny RP91, with excellent results.

My geometry looked perfect right outa the box, and my DVD image is not shifted...although that is something that's easy enough to correct.

The main reason I went with Philips direct view was the quality of the SD, which can be terrible on cable and sat with some HD sets. Yes, my set looks stunning with DVDs and HD, but I've never seen a small set that looked really *bad* with these sources. Plenty of displays look terrible on SD sources like cable, but Philips sets do much better than the Sonys and Toshibas I compared mine with, and my set with PixelPlus does wonders with my lousy Time Warner (oh, excuse me, "Brighthouse") cable signal.

I got my 34" widescreen as a refurb for $1550 delivered. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

I'd highly recommend the Philips HD direct views. I found a review on line of the 9817 Philips 32" HDTV in a shoot out with comparable sets from Sony & Panasonic...the Philips was the winner.

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
Wow...sounds like a great set...I will definately think about getting it...thanks a lot! Better than Sony and Panny...wow...

Claire Panke

Second Unit
That review was on Gregg Raskin Home Theater site.

You can probably find it by doing a search over at avsforum.com in the direct view forum. A bunch of us bought Philips sets last fall and were posting about them.

The HD Sony, Tosh, Panny, Philips...all will look good on DVD and HD, all have different features, strengths and weaknesses. But the Philips with or without Pixel Plus is the best on SD I've found...if that's important to you.

Another thing I liked about my Philips, the color and grey scale were very good right out of the box. I had a SOny 32" that had considerable red push (most sets do, not just Sony). My Dad's Panny was *very* blue, had to adjust that TV quite a bit.

There's a review of my set in the latest Stereophile Guide to Home Theater.

Check out the Philips. Their HDTVs are very good.

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
Thanks...I ended up gettin a 32' Sony Analog...but when I get an HDTV in 7 years or so...Phillips will definately be one of the brands I strongly conisder...thanks...:)

Claire Panke

Second Unit
You coulda got a 32" Philips HDTV for about $700 delivered.

Enjoy the Sony. I had a 23" Sony analog set for 30 years! The phosphors were dying, but that's the set the Philips replaced. I'll be happy if the 9818 lasts half as long.

Enjoy your new set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks