What's new

Does ISF calibration matter so much with LCD/plasma? (1 Viewer)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

But do those larger DLP screens generally actually have fine enough rib pitch for displaying 1920 lines of horizontal resolution (or at least very close to that)? From what I just read, a 60" DLP might not come close in practice, but maybe the figures provided are now outdated since these DLPs are not using 7" CRT guns for instance. I guess I could always check it out in person when I do my shopping (and probably just extrapolate from a small sample count for rib pitch)...

Thanks much (both Michael and George) for all the answers/info in the rest of your replies. I will definitely consider factoring in ISF calibration as just part of the overall cost of a good display (much like the example of a well performing car).

_Man_

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Oddly enough, the spyderpro type probes actually work okay on computer LCD monitors ... but use them on a consumer grade LCD TV and the results are not good at all.

The thing with the spyder probe is not the device itself. If used correctly in conjunction with other test patterns that set brightness and contrast et al ... the end result can be the same as if you got an "ISF" calibration ... what ever that means.

Remember that the ISF does not really teach anyone to calibrate ... they just teach the fundamentals so the person knows what it takes to get to the desired image. Now taking the theory from the class and applying it in actual calibration work is something else.

Just because a person went through the class does not mean they know how to calibrate a TV. The person has to teach himself how to calibrate ... one TV at a time.

The positive that you take from this is if you know what you are doing, you can do just as good a job at calibrating your LCD monitor as I could. :) This is usually achieved not by following menu driven wizards ... but doing it all one test pattern at a time.

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread