Does Hollywood need some new ideas?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jonathon Tillman, Nov 9, 2001.

1. Jonathon Tillman

Jonathon Tillman Stunt Coordinator

You know some reviewers and people are not impressed with the movies and sequals that have come out in the recent year(s) so maybe hollywood needs some new ideas. We need a big block buster hit, we have not had that in a while.
    What do you think?

2. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

No, they have plenty of ideas. The problem is that they don't have the brains to do something with them.
    Glenn

3. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Any creative industry always needs new ideas, whether they be movie studios, book pubishers, TV networks, stage companies, dance clubs, you name it.
    Thing is, "new ideas" don't necessarily lead to "blockbuster hits". The year's biggest hit so far, Shrek, is a clever use of fairy-tale archetypes. The big guns for the Christmas season, Harry Potter, Ocean's 11 and Lord Of The Rings, are adaptations. What makes a blockbuster is generally taking something familiar and bringing out what people love about it.
    So, to a certain extent, what's not important is not novelty, but execution. And I'll be the first to admit, there's been some pretty poor execution this past year. But, hey, there's also been A.I., Moulin Rouge, Brotherhood Of The Wolf, The Man Who Wasn't There and Happy Accidents (and I can't wait to see Amélie tomorrow). So maybe the problem's not really lack of new ideas or execution, but finding a way to steer people to the good stuff.

4. Dave Barth

Dave Barth Stunt Coordinator

It's not clear that the problem is in the idea portion of the creative process, but rather the committee approach to screenwriting and film production, and the studios general aversion to 'risky' (ie not a copy of something done before) ideas.

5. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Yes.
    But they need stupid movies to get stupid people in. This is why CRAP like "Ready To Rumble," "The Mummy Returns," and "The Animal" is released. They know people are going to see it.
    It's a sad fact, but if you were to ask a group of teenagers (juniors and seniors) to pick a movie from a choice of Lawrence of Arabia or The Mummy Returns, the majority would pick the latter title.
    The last movie I saw in a theater was A.I.
    That shows you how much I like this year's movies. (I didn't see Shrek, although I did get the DVD.)

6. ace peterson

ace peterson Second Unit

What do you guys think about a pharmacist that kills people? He gives them wrong medications on purpose and does some other nasty stuff to them. Think that would make for a good movie?

7. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter