What's new

Does Hollywood need some new ideas? (1 Viewer)

Jonathon Tillman

Stunt Coordinator
You know some reviewers and people are not impressed with the movies and sequals that have come out in the recent year(s) so maybe hollywood needs some new ideas. We need a big block buster hit, we have not had that in a while.
What do you think?

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
No, they have plenty of ideas. The problem is that they don't have the brains to do something with them.
Glenn

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Any creative industry always needs new ideas, whether they be movie studios, book pubishers, TV networks, stage companies, dance clubs, you name it.
Thing is, "new ideas" don't necessarily lead to "blockbuster hits". The year's biggest hit so far, Shrek, is a clever use of fairy-tale archetypes. The big guns for the Christmas season, Harry Potter, Ocean's 11 and Lord Of The Rings, are adaptations. What makes a blockbuster is generally taking something familiar and bringing out what people love about it.
So, to a certain extent, what's not important is not novelty, but execution. And I'll be the first to admit, there's been some pretty poor execution this past year. But, hey, there's also been A.I., Moulin Rouge, Brotherhood Of The Wolf, The Man Who Wasn't There and Happy Accidents (and I can't wait to see Amélie tomorrow). So maybe the problem's not really lack of new ideas or execution, but finding a way to steer people to the good stuff.

Dave Barth

Stunt Coordinator
It's not clear that the problem is in the idea portion of the creative process, but rather the committee approach to screenwriting and film production, and the studios general aversion to 'risky' (ie not a copy of something done before) ideas.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Yes.
But they need stupid movies to get stupid people in. This is why CRAP like "Ready To Rumble," "The Mummy Returns," and "The Animal" is released. They know people are going to see it.
It's a sad fact, but if you were to ask a group of teenagers (juniors and seniors) to pick a movie from a choice of Lawrence of Arabia or The Mummy Returns, the majority would pick the latter title.
The last movie I saw in a theater was A.I.
That shows you how much I like this year's movies. (I didn't see Shrek, although I did get the DVD.)

ace peterson

Second Unit
What do you guys think about a pharmacist that kills people? He gives them wrong medications on purpose and does some other nasty stuff to them. Think that would make for a good movie?

Brad_W

Screenwriter
To quote an episode of The Simpsons:
"Hi, we're the people that greenlight Shaqueal (spelling is wrong, I know) O'Neal movies."
These people are the reason Hollywood is lame.
------------------
"I was born to murder the world." -Nix (Lord of Illusions)
My Home Page http://www.geocities.com/masternix/DVD.html
My List O' DVDs:
Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks