Does heat damage dvd

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Shash, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Shash

Shash Auditioning

I have these merlin (bbc) dvds and i put the box on top of my lamp and then, when i picked the box up it was really hot. All of the dvds were boiling and then i tried playing one of the dvds (the hottest one) then it was fine,, but when i got further into the episode it started to jerk and jump.:huh: These arent mine i was borrowing them so i was getting worried. I took it out and gave it a wipe and tried it again, but it kept jerking. My friend keeps her dvds in good condition so there were no scratch at all. I probably have permanatley damaged them so i want to know if there is anything i can do to stop them from jerking ... :cool: thanks for the help

2. Nebiroth

Nebiroth Supporting Actor

The extreme heat has probably physically damaged them, it may even have caused the discs to warp.
    I think your best solution is to own up and offer to buy a new set.

3. cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC Cinematographer
    Supporter

Luis
    I may be moving to an area that has a tropical climate pretty much all-year round. I know that kind of climate is less than ideal for records and such and keeping everything cool via A/C is probably not in the cards for financial reasons. what can I do to minimize damage to my media collection besides keeping my stuff away from sunlight?

4. Nebiroth

Nebiroth Supporting Actor

Keep the humidity and damp as low as possible.

5. John Stell

John Stell Supporting Actor

John Stell
    I have a dehumidifier that is in the room where my tapes/lasers/dvds etc are stored. During the summer I have to empty it once a day. Also, if you can't afford AC, get a portable fan that can keep the room cool.

6. Stan

Stan Producer
    Supporter

Heat is a major problem for DVDs, CDs and the machines that play them.
    I went through three DISH DVRs in less than a year, which they thankfully replaced at no charge. Ended up being my fault. To much electronic stuff with to little ventilation. I now keep the glass doors on my TV stand open and haven't had a problem.
    As for the Merlin DVDs, I think you're out of luck, probably permanently damaged.