What's new

Does anyone know anything about VMPS subs? (2 Viewers)

EdNichols

Second Unit
I stumbled across a thread that mentioned a VMPS sub. So I did some research and found their web site but haven't been able to find any very many reviews on it. One person said it was better than SVS. Any opinions?

Tyson

Stunt Coordinator
I would say that I have owned an SVS 16-46CS in the past and have compared it to a friends Original and a different friend's Larger VMPS subs, and prefered the VMPS subs, especially for music. I would say it, but I'm so certain that I'll get flamed and argued with (by people who have never heard both), that I won't say anything at all.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I've owned the Larger VMPS sub for several days now, and find it superb. Smooth, deep, rock solid, dynamic bass that goes as loud as I could ask for. Better than SVS? I don't know. I do like the fact that the VMPS has two large drivers, compared to the one driver of the SVS, and a much larger enclosure.

John Doran

Screenwriter
though the VMPS larger sub does have a larger external enclosure than the SVS 16-46, i'd be interested to know the internal volume of each sub; since you can't count the volume occupied by the drivers, passive radiator and internal bracing, i wouldn't be surprised to if the internal volumes of each sub were a little closer than the posted dimensions initially suggest.

still, 2 active drivers - one 12" and one 15" - and a 15" PR does suggest that the VMPS is a formidable performer.

i'd be interested to see one of the VMPS subs reviewed and measured.

- jd

Arnold_R

Stunt Coordinator
I've owned the Original Larger Sub for over 7+ years and never had a problem with it. I'm powering it with a QSC MX700 Amp bridged into 4 ohms (700+ watts). I purchased the sub as a kit. All this means is screwing in the drivers as well as wiring them. The cabinet was built and finished. I have never had the sub bottom-out. I've driven it to the point where the QSC's clip lights have flash brightly, but the sub just took it without complaint. I've played LOTR and ATOC above reference level without and probelms. Of course everything in the room was shaking and vibrating!!! At 1m I've measured 120+ dB peaks measured with the RadioShack SPL meter (w/o correction factors). I do have to say it's a "BIG" box to have. I believe the is roughly 8 cubic feet atleast for the Original Larger Subwoofer. Of course I wouldn't mind having a sub with similar capabilities in a smaller enclosure.

Chriss M

Second Unit
I have a larger sub, and i am VERY happy with it's performance. I can't say that it is better than SVS in general, but it is better than my previous 20-39CS-ISD when powered with the same amp. I've never heard the CS+ or Ultra line so it's impossible to say how those would compare.

I have a few pictures (i know there really aren't many on the website), i'll post them if anyone wants to see them.

EdNichols

Second Unit
Chris,
I would like to see your pics. Did you build the sub yourself? What are you powering it with?

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Robert

Did you buy the kit or did you buy it assembled? Also, what are you powering it with?
Ed,

I bought it assembled. Price was about $720, which includes the Soundcoat and Megawoofer options. I placed it in a corner, per the recommendations of people ranging from Tom Nousaine to SVS. I'm powering it with a Carver amp, which puts out 1000 watts into 8 ohms in bridged mono mode (the sub is rated at 4 ohms). John Gordon of QSC Audio is letting me test one of his amps, which puts out 2400 watts in bridged mono mode.

The sound is simply PRODIGIOUS.

Chriss M

Second Unit
Ed,

I was powering it with a 240Watt parasound monoblock, and then temporarily with one channel of an anthem MCA-3 (300W @ 4ohms). I just picked up a Samson S1000 and will be powering each driver in the Larger with one channel of the S1000.

The QSC PLX line is also very popular with Larger owners.

Here's the pictures -

tucked away in the corner

without grill

upside-down

i bought it assembled, in piano black with megawoofer option.

EdNichols

Second Unit
Wow! It is big! I have looked at their website, and I guess I must be dense. Does the megawoofer mean that there are two speakers in one cabinet? So if you opt with no megawoofer option you get one speaker/cabinet? I am looking at the smaller sub or the original. I don't think I will need the big one.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Does the megawoofer mean that there are two speakers in one cabinet? So if you opt with no megawoofer option you get one speaker/cabinet?
Ed:

No, you always get two woofers with the Larger Sub (12" and 15"). The Megawoofer option increases the magnet size and the power handling.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I've been wanting to upgrade the old M&K and I'd rather keep a box design. This is intriguing news.

EdNichols

Second Unit
It seems that VMPS is a relatively unknown brand, but the more I research the more I find out how good they seem to be. I just wish there were more reviews.

John A. Casler

Second Unit
It is true VMPS is not a well advertised or publicized brand. In fact each speaker is basically custom made as ordered from a menu of options and upgrades.

I am a HT and Audio Consultant in Los Angeles and have been supplying my clients (all around the world) with VMPS for quite some time. (I am a VMPS dealer as well as over 20 other brands of speakers)

While not known for the flashy cabinets or finishes, VMPS is a value packed line with one Brian Cheney at the helm or as I call him the "Sonic Sorcerer from El Sobrante".

Brian has worked his wizardry on Woofers and Ribbons over the last 30 years or so and has created some speakers that are rather incredible in their abilties.

As far as the VMPS Subwoofers they are very good values and are exceptional for music. That said, I doubt if very many could explore the performance limits of the LARGER.

To answer the "megawoofer" question: The "MegaWoofer" option is upgrading from the standard "Polycone" Woofers to Woven Carbon Fiber Woofers and larger magnets. This improves power handling and low end performance.

I have heard most of the big name woofs out there and have to say this is the best I have heard overall (thats why I own one too)

It is difficult to offer any comparison beyond that for any woofs unless you have them in your room with your electronics. There are very few for the money that have the balanced combination of performance and musicality.

And in general, find a dealer and mention that you are a member of HTF, AVS, Audio Circle, or Haronic Discord and you will be subject to a "FORUM DISCOUNT" from the regular list price.

I (and again this is as a dealer) can't find any better speakers (both mains and Woofers) to fill my listening biases and preferences.

So without sounding too much like a VMPS advertisment, feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions.

Bada - Bing

Bada - B-O-O-M

Regards,

John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks