What's new

Does anyone here enjoy the films themselves? (1 Viewer)

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Quote:

OK - I said I didn't think Hartley is a good director. "Not good" doesn't equate with "not cool".

Quote:

I think Hal Hartley is a director who has very little visual sense.

I disagree, Hal Hartley is a film maker very aware of the trends of contemporary Hollywood visual style, and willing to use them to his own ends. Whether you personally like the final result is irrelevant.

Quote:

I said this because of your statement that Hartley shoots mostly in close-up. You feel that this is a bad thing.

It depends, for 2.4:1 films constantly shooting in close ups can make the use of the wide format redundant, which is certainly the case in many Hollywood films.

For 2046, Wong Kar-Wai builds a style around restricting the viewers vision by using the anamorphic format and working with shallow depth of field. The film relies heavily on close ups and complimentary over the shoulder shots, and often omits establishing shots.

He uses lighting, actor movement, and other objects to mask off different areas of the widescreen frame to direct the viewers attention across it.

For early CinemaScope films directors would have to figure out new approaches to actor staging or lighting in order to redirect viewers attention during important moments. This is an approach that is dead now due to very rapid editing.

Quote:

I agree that, to some extent, television has had a SUBCONSCIOUS effect on film-making.

No, I disagree. The changes are completely conscious! Films are made by rational people who make aesthetic choices for specific reasons. A big Hollywood director working on a $100 million dollar film needs to be a rational person - it is the best way for them to keep their job.

You state that:

Quote:

I don't believe Classical Hollywood style was achieved by happy accident either.

So if the Classical Hollywood style was achieved via logical processes, influenced by economics and technology, why wasn't the contemporary style also developed in the same way?

Over the last 20 years revenue from the rental and sale of VHS tapes and DVDs has become the economic basis for all Hollywood film making. This has resulted in identifiable modifications to style that differentiate the contemporary approach to that of other eras. Stylistic tactics such as a reliance on close ups, extensive camera movement, and rapid editing are all used to make films feel more dynamic when edited, and ultimately viewed on small television screens.

Quote:

I DO NOT believe that most directors compose films so that they will look good on TV

So what are you saying, that most Hollywood directors actively compose their films so they will look bad on TV!?

When CinemaScope first came in producers asked directors to shoot in ways that accentuated the wide format. Take any pre 1960 CinemaScope film and it will look radically different to a 2.4:1 film made now. These days directors want their film to look exciting and impacting when viewed at a cinema, and wonderful when viewed on a television. There isn't the same desire of making films stylistically differentiated from TV. Now the opposite is true, cinema release acts increasingly like an advert for the DVD release of a film.

Quote:

I agree that the INAPPROPRIATE USE of - or OVER-RELIANCE on - close-ups is a bad thing.

Well, the director doesn't think they are "inappropriate" at all. The director is using them for a specific purpose, go give their film more visual impact to hold the viewer's attention - particularly when the film is screened on a small TV.

Quote:

But a director who uses close-ups in these ways is a BAD DIRECTOR, simple as that.

Hollywood films are full of close ups these days, I personally don't think that is inherently bad if they are created in visually interesting ways. Like Wes Anderson copies the Mike Nichols approach of having actors sit nearly dead centre in the middle of the widescreen frame, and almost look directly at the camera, then he just cuts to a complimentary shot. He does this in Rushmore and Life Aquatic.

But certainly, the standard approach of close up, over-the-shoulder, master, close up, over-the-shoulder gets boring pretty quickly, but it has always been a standard approach, now it is just used much more often, and in closer and close shots.

Quote:

The argument as to whether there are more bad directors now than there were in the days of Classical Hollywood is another subject entirely.

It wasn't an argument that I mentioned.

Quote:

I think your arguments are "armchair" arguments, Simon.

Yes I agree! Sitting in an armchair, closely observing films. Ignoring characters and story, and just concentrating on how the director, cinematographer, and editor have chosen to shoot and edit scenes.

Quote:

It doesn't sound to me like you have any actual experience of working in the industry.

What has my personal production history got to do with contemporary Hollywood visual style? This is even more irrelevant than whether Hal Hartley is "good" or not.

It makes no difference to whether you have made 0 or 1000 films. Anyone can observe visual style in films - if they care to look closely.

But since you raise the issue. If I was employed tomorrow to direct a Hollywood film, and wanted to shoot scenes the way Hou Hsiao-Hsien does - several minute long master shots - the producers would fire me. If I wanted to shoot only with a static camera, I would also get fired for not creating enough visually interesting footage. If I wanted to shoot the way Otto Preminger did in the 50s/60s - widescreen, long takes, mobile camera, few close ups - I would also get fired, because the film wouldn't have enough impact for a contemporary audience.

Quote:

You want to argue on a collected and technical basis and yet you seem frequently offended by responses.

Tell me where my observations of Hollywood visual style are wrong? So far your objection is that contemporary style was achieved by chance because it was driven by subconscious desires on the part of directors, cinematographers and editors. I completely reject the idea that the only way to explain film style is to revert to some form of quasi-psychology.

Quote:

Your tone alternates between that of a haughty film-school lecturer and the tone of a slighted teenager, often from paragraph to paragraph.

This is the bit of your post where you just revert to throwing insults because you don't have anything to say.

Quote:

This superior tone has been apparent since your first interruption of this thread and has only been confirmed to me by this last post.

You mean that I am interested in the visual style of films, and I feel that is a legitimate way to analyse the relative merit of a them.

If you think that is a "superior" approach than basing your judgment on films simply to their characters and stories then so be it.

Quote:

I think you make some accurate observations but I think you draw the wrong conclusions from them.

So what conclusions should I draw? So far you have tried to explain my observations away by saying the decisions directors, cinematographers, and editors make are "subconscious" - that is simply avoiding any conclusion.

I don't agree that a big Hollywood director, cinematographer or editor leave all the decisions about style up to what dreams they had the night before.

Quote:

Unfortunately, your tone is too hostile for me to enjoy debating them with you.

You're the one that reverted to hurling abuse - don't blame me for that.

Quote:

I genuinely feel a bit insulted by Simon's posts but it's difficult to tell a person's tone if you're not face-to-face with them.

So why did you simply revert to writing abuse then?

What is there to be insulted by? The fact Hollywood film makers have visual style down to a very well defined formula? Am I taking the 'magic of movies' away from you?

There is nothing insulting in my posts. Simply a close observation of contemporary Hollywood visual style, and a few explanations both technical, and theoretical about why this is so. If you feel my observations are wrong, or my conclusions lacking, then provide a better explanation than just saying it is all "subconcious".

Quote:

I just feel the thread has got way off topic

The thread is only off topic if you agree with the very first poster. You feel that the only way to appreciate films is to become infatuated by "characters" and "stories". Any analysis of film style, or the technologies and techniques used to make films is secondary (or tertiary) to finding out who marries who in the end.

I disagree.

Real Name
Anthony
Well I disagree with YOU.

I think that any techniques a director uses must be employed in the service of the "narrative" - however abstract that narrative may be.

If that narrative is best served by a film full of close-ups, so be it. I think to sit there and analyse a film independent of these concerns is nonsensical.

I have never said that your observations were completely wrong, Simon. I have gone out of my way to state that. However, I feel that there is no part of you that is willing to even consider what I'm saying. So what is the point in us continuing this to-and-fro ?

This isn't a conversation. Like I said, I agree with many of your observations, I just think that some of the conclusions you draw from them are wrong. Let's leave it at that.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

Great example. THE STING is one of my all-time favorite movies, and I have very often been on here complaining that Universal has not yet released an OAR disc of this title. HOWEVER - you can damn well bet that I bought the MAR release in the meantime, and I have enjoyed the movie at least 10 times. It's another film that's not terribly altered by not being "wide", and although I'll gladly upgrade when the "correct" ratio comes out, there's no way in hell I'm not going to see THE STING ever again (say if it never gets upgraded at all).

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

Funny thing is, that I can sit down & watch The Sting & Charley Varrick in their correct theatrical aspect ratio anytime I'd like to as I have both taped off of TCM. Next time they come around on schedule they will both be added to my Tivo. So I don't have to go and support a MAR release by purchasing either of these. Even if I didn't have these taped I wouldn't support a MAR release as I have a little something called willpower to help me resist. :)

I think anyone at all who is in the least bit serious about the importance of OAR should not be supporting a MAR DVD release by purchasing it. But that's just me & like Robert said a few dozen posts ago, what you do to watch films in your own home is your business.

I certainly wouldn't be bragging about buying & thereby supporting a MAR release on an pro-OAR board or worse yet, insinuate (maybe not you but other posts a while back) that you're more of a "movie lover" because you buy & support MAR releases and that anyone who chooses not to buy these open matte or butchered pan & scan versions doesn't really love these films as much as those who do buy them. A rather ridiculous stance & pretty insulting for a film enthusiast & OAR supporter like myself.

Had the tone of this thread been different I wouldn't have bothered to get involved a while back because while I don't like to hear about people buying MAR'd DVDs, I'm really not the type of person to dictate the way others should pursue their hobby.

"Live and Let Die Live" is my motto. ;)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Good for you, but for the last time, this is a pro-OAR site and we frown on anybody espousing the buying of non-OAR product.

Crawdaddy

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich

Seems more like stating common sense than any concession on your part Simon. ;)

For what it's worth I have found your posts to be quite informative and interesting. I do think that your style of quoting individual lines of posts may come across as aggressive 'editing.' Yes, it does allow you to give a very specific reply but it may come across more as a dissection.

I couldn't agree more with your point about carefully analyzing some element of a film. If you do that with different elements of the film you'll see patterns emerge. Once you start noticing the patterns it allows you to more easily spot these same patterns in other films. Pattern recognition if you will.

The only down side to this awareness (beside the effort it takes) is that hack filmmaking becomes even harder to put up with.

Good point on spherical zooms being used more and more as opposed to spherical primes. While I've read that some directors refuse to use these zooms that they are even mentioning them means that they are on the rise. Admittedly, I know nothing about them other than what I've read.

I would agree that new technology and use of multiple cameras can make for both faster setups and more film for the editing process. However, I think you take that logic too far when you conclude that this changes the mindset of care and preparation that needs to go into the filming of a very good movie.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Can't we just put our own homemade mattes on the open matte titles? :D

This same debate was going on in the MAGIC thread so there's even more talk there. I guess it depends on who jumps into these threads because it seemed the majority there said if that (MAR) is the only way to view a movie then why never watch it again?

Of course this site is pro-OAR and I'm sure everyone here is the same way. However, no one has answered the big question which is what do fans do if an OAR disc isn't out there on VHS, LD, TCM or DVD?

THE STING and CHARLEY I recorded off TCM so there's no need for me to buy the DVDs until they upgrade them. I don't have a LD player so that option is out of the question. Certain other titles, they've never been released OAR and they never will. Just because DVD is a great new item doesn't mean we should forget certain movies because they aren't available in the best presentation.

To merge this with another thread, I think the problem with MAR on DVD isn't going to be nearly as bad as HD-DVD. There are certainly a few exceptions but most of the MAR releases on DVD are probably titles the studios (in stupidity) think the public want open matte. Other smaller open matte titles get released all the time but no one really complains because it's not a big title for them to worry about.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I rewatched Brother Bear last night and never realized what Disney did! In regards to the 2 discs (1 OAR and 1 MAR), the MAR disc said "family-friendly aspect ratio" - They make it sound like OAR is 'evil' (or bad for kids). Some people are never going to accept OAR when the studio makes it sound like it's bad.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

Yep. And it appears Disney is one studio that actually thinks people want MAR releases. I think Universal, MGM and Columbia think certain films won't draw that much heat so they can release it MAR. This here is probably true. A MAR release of TITANIC would draw a lot of heat because there are millions that will buy it. Something like MANOS isn't going to draw any heat because the majority simply doesn't care. THE ODD COUPLE is a film that many will buy while C.V. is a smaller film.

Are there many "big" films that get MAR only releases? (The Sting was released early in the DVD game). It seems mostly the small guys are getting screwed over on DVD. This "screwed over" could mean they won't sell enough copies to even get released or the studios know a small market is out there but since the sales will be small, the release gets a cut and paste open matte transfer.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

You want an absolute answer and it's not my place to give you one, except to say that HTF will restrict discussion of any kind supporting the release or purchase of non-OAR video product. Furthermore, for myself, I personally won't knowingly buy any VHS, LD, or DVD of any film that's not in their proper aspect ratio. I won't buy it because doing so will encourage the studios to continue such a practice. Will I watch a compromised presentation of a favorite film on television? Maybe, depending on the circumstances involved, but, at least I'm not directly contributing to the profit margin of a studio releasing non-OAR product.

Crawdaddy

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Robert - please understand something. I am 150% PRO-OAR. And I'm as insistent upon OAR as anyone here. It also aggravates me no end when a movie is not offered as originally intended to be seen. But if I have to make a choice for either watching a MAR product or not seeing the movie at all (and I never had LD and I don't have TCM) I'd rather see the MOVIE. It's as simple as that, and I really did not realize until this very moment that HTF doesn't even allow "discussion" about MAR. That's news to me, and quite incredible, actually -- if I understood you right.

I probably own maybe five incorrect AR DVD's out of a few hundred in my whole collection, and only where there was no alternative for me and I had to have the movie. I bought the first GRAY LADY DOWN in MAR and then gladly upgraded when an OAR disc was finally issued. I'd do the same with THE STING.

And as someone said (Michael, I believe) I seriously doubt that, if I had passed up the only available MAR edition of THE STING on DVD in the early days of this format, Universal would have felt it one bit.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

Yes, it is an interesting question. Let's suppose a favorite movie will never be available in its OAR (and there's truly no way to ever tell, unless we have a crystal ball). What do we do ?

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

I guess it's my age or where I live but I actually didn't see an OAR release until 1998 when I bought 2001 on VHS. It was the first time I had ever seen those "black bars", which I think I called them at the time. Having seen an obscene ammount of films at a young age, I'd say everyone of them were MAR and I didn't actually watch a OAR release until my first DVD, which was COOL HAND LUKE. The titles I collected were usually older so they were in the correct OAR. I wasn't even aware that OAR titles (for post 1953) were out there.

Earlier George brought up Criterion's M, which was a good film to pick because we've all watched that in the wrong ratio for decades. The thing is, I don't have any numbers in front of me but I'm going to guess there are more MAR releases like that (1.33 when it should be 1.20) then there are 2.35:1 to 1.33 so in that term, perhaps the older films are being just as mistreated as newer stuff. Universal went back and fixed the transfer on stuff like THE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN, which makes you wonder how many other 4:3 films aren't framed correctly.

Then we've got various British films from the 1960's, which were shown 1.66 in the UK and 1.85 in the US. These here have always led to debate but I guess there's not much we can do here but pick sides or guess what the director wanted. The public domain world has also hurt matters because with 25 cheap label releases, it's going to be hard for a major to pick one of these titles up, go to the original elements and make a correct transfer. There was even debate over the OAR of A&C MEET THE MUMMY, which was released in 1955 and the two CREATURE sequels, which were released when widescreen would have been the norm, yet Universal hasn't ever released them WS or commented on the ratio.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Even though it was initially release MAR, I just HAD to buy Christmas Vacation MAR. As pro-OAR as I am, I just love that film more than OAR. There are very-very-very few films that make me feel that way, but sometimes my enjoyment beats out my views...Kind of like a one-night stand. Your mind knows it's wrong, but your desired pleasure usually wins out on the debate. :D

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
I thought so...

The best quote I've found about cinematographer's constantly using zooms is in American Cinematographer (Nov 2003). It is Russell Boyd talking about his work on Master & Commander:

"...more often than not we were on the 11:1 Primo [zoom] and 5:1 Panavised Cooke zooms. One of the cinematographer's jobs is to get things done quickly, and zooms are a great tool in that regard; it's just a faster way of working."

Regarding lenses, Panavision provides a lot of specs on their webpage:

They quote their Primo sphericals as rated at T1.9:
http://tinyurl.com/a9a7s

The Primo zooms are slower - rated from T2.3 to T2.8:
http://tinyurl.com/c8vnm

Compare this to the anamorphic Primos. The fixed lenses are all rated at T2:
http://tinyurl.com/cee8g

So fixed focal length Primos, either spherical or anamorphic are rated at similar speeds.

The difference is with the Primo anamorphic zooms. They are significantly slower than Primo spherical zooms at T4.5:
http://tinyurl.com/9zjtl

I'm not suggesting that all directors and cinematographers that use the Panavision system only shoot with the (newest) Primo lenses. I just use it as an example that even though both types of fixed focal length Primos are essentially the same speed, it is still very difficult to make fast anamorphic zooms.

On Gladiator cinematographer John Mathieson stated:

"Though [Director Ridley] Scott initially wanted to film in anamorphic, the Super 35 format was chosen because valuable setup time could be saved by using fewer lights. "Shooting in Super 35 made life so much easier," Mathieson remarks. "You don’t want a camera kit the size of a room. Working in Super 35, you’ve got a zoom lens and the camera. You can just go."
http://tinyurl.com/9ohfv

And:

"In those [multi-camera] situations, I was thinking, Someone has got to be getting something good."
http://tinyurl.com/e4yol

Comments like the later really make me suspicious about how precise framing is... I mean what exactly does he mean by "something good"? To me it is more about the director and assistants wrangling together an "event" a big piece of action, a fight of some sort let's say. Then the direct of photography sort of surrounds this event with many cameras and captures things happening in that event. Not particular precise things like how the Odessa Steps sequence is constructed, but just sort of snap shot impressions more as if they are a documentarist than what we consider a standard fiction film maker. I feel it is a different type of working than the Classical era.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks