What's new

does anyone else hate the wizard of oz? (1 Viewer)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

I don't care for them either andrew. Just could not pass up a chance to paraphrase one of my favorite movie lines...

Dorothy: "Toto too?"
Glinda: "Yes, Toto too."

Which I like to think influenced...

C-3PO: "R2-D2, it IS you it IS you!"

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I never had a problem with Judy until I learned how old she was supposed to be, Don't cast 19 year olds as 8!

Roger_R

Second Unit
I don't really hate this movie, but I don't like it either. I suppose it's a nice children's flick and not something I'd sit down and watch again. This is also something I think of most Disney movies. I can appreciate the art and animation, but there's not much else that'll keep me watching.

Oh, and I see someone else who dislikes Gone With the Wind too! Last Christmas I sat down to watch it on TCM, expecting to see a great movie from all the comments I've read about it. 3 hours later, I couldn't believe that such a huge piece of crap could become such a big classic. A main char who's annoying, changes personalities several times and no ending...

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
There are a number of musicals where, for no reason what-so-ever, they stop the show to have a song.

Other musicals take some effort to try and have a song that 'fits' - in that it advances the plot in some way, does some useful character development, or something like that.

Films often seem to add songs for no logical reasons.

Disney is a curious example: many films have songs that have no point (Skumps! anyone? Sleeping Beauty.) On the other hand, Beauty and the Beast - the original theatrical version - is fairly 'clean.'

I'm still not sure if I liked Chicago or not, but I didn't feel bothered by the fact it was a musical. (The production was 'excellent,' but the story? That's what I'm not sure of. It wasn't... nice, certainly..)

I've tried a few Bollywood films, and I get the feeling that there, they have rules (3-4 music/dance numbers, 8-12 minutes each,) and a number of people have no idea of what to do with them, so just sort of cut into the film at random points, a musical number. Apart from those random feeling sequences, though I did sort of like Lagaan. The musical sequences in Bride & Prejudice were kind of a mixed bag in terms of fit - some did, some didn't.

As an aside, however, I have standing orders for anyone to just shoot me if I ever show any signs of going to watch Carousel. I've seen that on the stage far too often, and hm. A musical celebrating spousal abuse. How nice.

Leo Kerr

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member

If you look at The Wonderful Wizard Of Oz Storybook on the new OZ DVD, you can see that Dorothy was intended to be a prepubescent girl.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Dorothy was a little kid in the book and was originally planned to be younger in the movie - they DID consider Shirley Temple, after all.

However, it's a mistake to take this to mean that Garland is playing an 8-year-old. She's not, and her age is essentially meaningless in the movie...

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

You dislike Oz AND small dogs??? You're evil, man - EVIL! :D

(From the proud and exceedingly happy owner of two terrific toy poodles...)

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Well since such questions of economic history were rendered moot decades ago, I'd hardly call it as meaningful as the sorts of eternal questions asked in The Seventh Seal, Ikiru, and Juliet of the Spirits, but like Lennon said, whatever gets you through the night, George. ;)

Why are the Indians the servants of drought?

I'm a fan of the film and It's A Wonderful Life is one of my all-time favorites.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Geez, pretty soon people will start trashing Titanic!:D

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
I read the book when I was about 8 or 9 years old and LOVE IT!

My mother, however, would not let me see the movie until I was 16, because she had been scared by the flying monkeys when she saw it as a child.

I LOATHED the movie! Other than the title, I found little from the book that survived.

And I'm with Jason about the other movie he mentioned. I refer to it as "Yawn With the Wind."

I seem to be in for some flaming, but I ask that you respect my contrary opinions, because that means that there are more copies of these DVDs out there for true fans of these flicks.

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
I've seen this film a few times as a kid, but I never did care for it. I don't know why. I'd have to watch it again to see if I like it or not.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
It doesn't have enough slow motion shots of the Cowardly Lion crying. Also, not enough lightsaber action.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
In hindsight, we can see that the Free Silver men really were wrong. After seventy years of the most radical Cheap Money policy in history, and subsidies, and irrigation projects, and all else, the American farmer is hurting harder than he was in the 1880s. So, Baum's story has held up better than the political ideas which infused it. As for the movie? I'm cool toward it: I certainly wonder about these giant banner ads espousing it as the "most beloved of all time."
As for Roald Dahl, he was a jolly subversive! We need more children's books like his; remember that Disney tried for years to adapt his "gremlin" stories into a movie, but just couldn't find a way to make the characters sympathetic enough or the tone light enough. "Charlie" is a tale in which the wicked are punished and the just rewarded, and I found the musical lacking because it downplayed that element.

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
I don't hate THE WIZARD OF OZ but I could certainly live without it. Having grown up outside of the U.S., it never occupied a significant place in my childhood filmwatching experience as it did for most Americans who grew up eagerly waiting for it to show up on TV year after year. I never saw WIZARD until I was in my 20's and, by then, I had far outgrown its charms.

Our likes and dislikes of movies are such a personal thing, they say more about us than about the movies themselves.

Joel C

Screenwriter
Just because a movie is the most beloved doesn't mean everyone loves it. I'd argue that, from an impact on culture, family memories, perennial favorite standpoint, Oz probably fits the bill more so than any other movie. Can anyone think of a better candidate for such an arbitrary title?

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

I personally dislike his work. I think the nastiness shows clearly in his writing. Bear in mind that Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was radically altered after the first edition. Dahl originally portrayed the Oompah-Loompahs as African pygmies (and thus Willy Wonka is no better than a colonialist of the old school, and possibly worse). In a later version they became more politically correct hippy type creatures.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks