does anyone else hate the wizard of oz?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by andrew markworthy, Oct 28, 2005.

1. andrew markworthy

Please don't flame me - I know that for a lot of you this is one of your favourite movies. I've tried to like it, oh God how I've tried, but I've got to come out of the closet and admit that I hate it. Every last vulgar tasteless second of it.

Please am I the only one who feels this way?

Note that if you like it, that's fine - I don't think that anyone shows a lapse of taste for liking it and I've no intention of casting insults at the legions of fans. And I wouldn't normally bitch about an individual film. But given the reverence with which this movie is held, I've begun to think it must just be me.

2. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

I don't hate it, but I can go without easily.

Now, Gone With the Wind, I despise.

3. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

Stanley Kubrick passionately hated "The Wizard of Oz".

4. DavidPla

DavidPla Cinematographer

I don't hate "The Wizard of Oz" but definitely don't find it to be magical or timeless. Personally I can't see why "The Wizard of Oz" or even "Gone with the Wind" have lasted as long as they have. Maybe it's because I never grew up watching it. I would actually LOVE to see a remake of "The Wizard of Oz" done much closer to the book.

5. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

Um, no, but I hate It's a Wonderful Life and Gone with the Wind with a passion. Does that count?

It's a Wonderful Life is so sickly sweet the viewer overdoses long before the end of the movie. I was forced to watch Gone with the Wind for a history class. I was rooting for Rhett to slap the crap out of Scarlett long before he ever did.

6. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Wasn't there already a "movies I hate that most everyone loves" thread? Do we really need to devote such a thread to a particular movie?

7. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    I do! I hate him! I hate the way he hides behind that curtain and tries to fool people. So mean!

[​IMG]

8. Mark Seyb

Mark Seyb Agent

Thank you! Without going into details, you aren't the only one who DESPISES this film.

9. DustinPizarro

DustinPizarro Stunt Coordinator

Hey Andrew, I'm curious to know why you hate it so much? Is it the story, acting, singing??? I'm not trying to flame you or anything, just interested in hearing your point of view.

10. Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs Screenwriter

I don't hate it, but I don't love it and think it seems to be particularly overrated here at the HTF. I think it has a very weak third act and the book is due for a fresh adaption. I don't know why anyone would hate it unless they're just put off by its high regard, or for personal reasons. But as a film I don't see any reason to hate it.

11. Chris Stainton

Chris Stainton Second Unit

Hate is a strong word that I try not to use very often. It is not a film I enjoy. I love "The Wiz" though so what do I know. [​IMG]

12. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

I don't hate the Wizard of Oz, but I do think it is overrated and has some flaws. For one thing, the film never resolved the Ms. Gulch subplot (does she come back to try to get Toto?)

I found this to be hilarious (from the IMDB):

Whew, and I thought I was the only one who hated It's a Wonderful Life. Haven't gotten around to seeing GWTW though (I will one of these days).

13. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Saw it once.

It was interesting to realize the origin of many cultural references that used to fly over my head. Like when in The Matrix, Cyphers tells Neo before his first trip "Kansas is going bye-bye"... That sure was a head-scratcher... while the city in the Matrix was never identified, it certainly looked nothing like Kansas.

I had heard references to a Cowardly Lion here and there, as well as Yellow Brick Road. And the Wizard behind the curtain.

All that came into sharp focus when I saw the movie 3 years ago.

Some nice productions values as well. Beyond that, I was bored stiff.

--
    H

14. andrew markworthy

Well you seem to think so, Robert, as you've contributed to it. [​IMG] The reason for starting this thread is that it struck me that there seems to be practically a holy aura around WOO that I've not encountered about other movies on HTF (okay, Star Wars tends to be looked at with great reverence, but that tends to be by a sub-group of HTFers). I just wondered if the Pod People had got to all of us, or if there were still some WOO-haters out there.

15. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Hey, its the only musical I enjoy!

16. BarryR

BarryR Supporting Actor

BARRY RIVADUE
    I don't hate it (I bought the 3-disc set), but the Munchkinland sequence is still rather disturbing to me! As a kid I used to leave the room every time that came on.

Oh, I love GONE WITH THE WIND, so there.

[​IMG]

17. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

I think you've confused comment with devotion. And I've learned that NO movie is "revered" by everyone. If you think there aren't people who loathe (and have stated so here and elsewhere) various Star Wars movies as well as any number of other movies, including the biggest boxoffice successes as well as the most critically praised, then I have to wonder how much movie commentary you've read here and elsewhere. Did you miss this thread?

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...vies+you+hated

Hence my question about why this film needs a "special" thread.

18. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I like the movie, but my sister hates it. I asked her why and she said she finds it drawn out and boring.

I hate Gone With The The Wind myself, but I've never seen It's A Wonderful Life. No one ever believes me when I say I've never seen It's A Wonderful Life.

19. AlexCremers

AlexCremers Second Unit

He who hates 'The Wizard Of Oz' should also hate 'Star Wars' (1977), 'E.T.', 'A.I.' and 'Lords Of The Ring', for they are no different.

Alex

20. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    I don't much care for it. It's the type of movie that I'm glad I watched once, but I don't really need to watch again. I really don't care for Judy Garland at all. I don't find her attractive in the slightest. I also find Somewhere Over the Rainbow to be fairly annoying. I probably wouldn't feel so strongly about that if it hadn't recently been voted number one on a list of the "greatest American pop songs." Pah. Something like "Stardust" should have beaten it by a country mile. And, yes, I do love classic American movies and pop songs.

I would only consider buying the DVD for the bonus silent films.