What's new

Does anybody remember the "Freedom Rock" compilation? (1 Viewer)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I was watching some old cartoons taped back in the day, and came across a commercial for "Freedom Rock". I must say that it was one of the most impressive collections of classic rock I've ever seen. Does anybody own it?

BTW, why is "Layla" by Eric Clapton (Derek and the Dominos version) so damn good? The main part is cool, but the coda at the end just gets me every time. "Layla" now stands as my favorite song of all time. It probably helps that I discovered it at the right moment in life.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I remember those corny Freedom Rock commericals. Blech! :)
As for "Layla", it is just one great song. I love the main part with Clapton's guitar and the coda. It's a classic. Never imitated. Never duplicated. ;)

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
"Hey, man, is that Freedom Rock? Crank it up!"

I had a friend in college who bought this -- I taped all the songs I didn't already have. I still have that tape somewhere, I think.

As far as "Layla" goes, enough time has passed that I can enjoy that song again without thinking of the horrific "Unplugged" version.

Ryan

Jarrod_L

Stunt Coordinator
"Hey, Man...is that FREEDOM ROCK????"
"Yeah, Man!"
"Well, TURN IT UP, MAN!!!"
:D
Nope, never heard of it:b

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
Yes, I own it (the CDs, not the rights). I bought them - I think there are two CDs but I could be confusing it with a different compilation - a while ago but I don't think I've listened to them recently. I've forgotten what the commercials were like.

Eve T

Supporting Actor
I remember those commercials well. I was pretty young when they came out and my sister and I would imitate the guy on the commercial. Freedom rockkkkkkk oh yeahhhhhh! Turn it up man!

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
If anyone has a track listing on it, I'd love to see it. Surprisingly, I can't find one when searching through google. The best I could find was this eBay auction.
NP: Grateful Dead - 11/20/1973 - Denver, CO (a Phil Bomb delight!)

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
Greg,
I can type in the track listing later tonite (I'm not at home now) unless someone else does it first.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
OK, by popular demand, here are the tracks:

Disc 1
Turn Turn Turn (Byrds) - I'd Love to Change the World (Ten Years After) - Locomotive Breath (Jethro Tull) - The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down (Baez) - War (Edwin Starr) - Black Magic Woman (Santana) - Jump Into the Fire (Nilsson) - Smoke On the Water (Deep Purple) - United We Stand (Brotherhood of Man) - One Tin Soldier The Legend of Billy Jack (Coven) - Somebody to Love (Jefferson Airplane) - Going Up the Country (Canned Heat) - Reach Out of the Darkness (Friend and Lover) - A Horse with no Name (America) - Free Bird (Lynyrd Skynyrd) - Ramblin Man (Allman Brothers) - Share the Land (Guess Who) - Friends (Elton John) - Put Your Hand in the Hand (Ocean)- Black and White (3 Dog Night)

Disc 2
Layla (Derek and the Dominos) - The Story in Your Eyes (Moody Blues) - Signs (5 Man Electrical Band) - Sunshine (Jonathan Edwards) - Love Train (O'Jays) - White Room (Cream) - White Rabbit (Jefferson Airplane) - Both Sides Now (Judy Collins) - We May Never Pass this Way Again (Seals and Crofts) - In the Year 2525 (Zager and Evans) - Eighteen (Alice Cooper) - Hush (Deep Purple) - Get Together (Youngbloods) - The Beat Goes On (Sonny and Cher)- Abraham Martin and John (Dion) - Lay Down (Melanie) - I Got a Line on You (Spirit) -Fire and Rain (James Taylor) - Me and You and a Dog Named Boo (Lobo) - Dock of the Bay (Redding)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks