What's new

Does any HD player offer upconversion over Component? (1 Viewer)

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
A quick question, just like the heading. I keep reading the virtues of upconverting SD DVDs, but I currently only have component output and it seems that upconversion of 480 material is only available on HDMI.

Is this true? Or is there some player I haven't read about yet?

Any help welcome.

Rhoq

Supporting Actor
At the moment, HDCP is a requirement for upconverting DVD. This is why it's only available via an HDMI/DVI connection.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Upconversion on component is prohibited if any form of copy-protection is present on the DVD. It is on most: MacroVision.

But some releases don't have that and will be upconverted over component as well. It's a minority, unfortunately (often documentaries).

If you hapen to have a monitor with HDCP support (e.g. several new DELLs), a HDMI->DVI cable can do the trick for you though, on all DVDs.

Cees

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
Thanks guys.

So if I were to take one of my DVDs with macrovision and simply use a shareware program to remove the macrovision without doing anything else, that would produce an upscalable copy?

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Yes ... a burned disc will not have the copy protection and will play back upconverted.

Regards

Rhoq

Supporting Actor

Hopefully you won't be compressing these films to fit onto a single layered DVD +/- R otherwise I don't see you benefiting from the upconversion at all.

JackKay

Second Unit
Question, since the new 360 has an HDMI out I assume it will upconvert, yet unless I missed it I don't see it mentioned in their ads.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I tried this on a couple of my discs using anyDVD. The discs burned fine, but they would not run on my HD A1. They always came up as unrecognized discs. Maybe there are other people who have had better luck with doing the procedure that you described, but it has basically been an unsuccessful experiment for me. It pisses me off that I had to try such a workaround on discs that I legitimately purchased. So now I have a DVD burner which is essentially a door stop.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

No. I'll check the stores for that brand, but the brand name is unfamiliar to me. I've never seen it in my area. The other reason I stopped doing it was due to the brutal burn time thru USB 1.0 to an external drive. After burning a few coasters I had to question what I was doing. I was spending time and money trying to gain access to something that I legally should have a right to by reason that I have purchased the disc.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I haven't had any trouble playing a burned disk on my A1. RiDATA manufactures burnable discs for just about every brand name ie, Memorex, TDK, Sony, etc.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well, I was finally able to look at an upconverted disc through the component outputs on the PS3. It is strange. The PS3 windowboxes the image when set to normal. Is windowboxing of the image a byproduct of upconversion? Or is it only a byproduct on the PS3? Regarding the image. It looked good but nowhere near a proper HD transfer.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Out of curiosity, under what law or governing body makes it illegal to upconvert video over an analog signal? I can't think of a good reason why this should be illegal for hardware manufactures to implement.

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
It's not illegal as in by a decree of law, rather it is in contravention of licensing agreements.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Yes, we have the ridiculous situation where the manufacturers are not implementing the Image Contraint Token (ICT), thus allowing the HD resolution via component video on HD DVD or Blu-ray discs, yet we're not allowed to upconvert DVDs to the same higher resolution, which would still be inferior to HD discs.

GregK

Screenwriter

Hmmm... be sure to double check your PS3 upconversion options. It should be set to "normal". One of the three upconversion modes upconverts the DVD to 960p within a 1080 image, therefore causing a windowbox effect. The "Normal" mode upscales 16x9 discs to 1080 and pillarboxes 4x3 material in 1080. The second upconversion mode ("full") will upconvert & stretch and 4x3 material to 1080, which is great for the rare discs that are 16x9 enhanced, but not flagged as 16x9.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member

Um, Scooter this thread is about HD players... but, I have been dying to find a DVD player that will do upconversion thru component. So, if yer still checking this thread, lemme know!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks