What's new

Does an electric razor exist that won't rip the hairs from my face? :( (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

All good reasons John to have asked the question in the first place and to rationalize spending a little more than you might otherwise have wanted to.

Shaving is one of those things you "have" to do (and often). So, you may as well do it right. :)

Be sure to report back with your review.

Does yours come with one of those "cleaners?" I've always wondered how those work. You'll still find that every few years you have to go through the same process all over again because the batteries tend to lost their memory and replacing them is usually cost prohibitive. You can always still use the razor with the AC cord...but that gets rather limiting and frustrating.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
I find most electric shavers incapable of getting me a really close shave, even the high-end rotating Norelco models with their "floating" heads. :thumbsdown:

That's why I use a Schick Xtreme 3 razor with Edge shaving gel to get a close shave that lasts for days. :cool:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

I've owned a Braun 7000 series cordless razor with the cleaner/charger for about three years now. The cleaner works very well -- better than I can do manually with the brush provided. A cleaning cartridge will last a couple of months, since I only clean the razor every other day. The rechargable battery is still holding a charge for about 2 weeks, too.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
While I love the shaver, I've had problems with the cleaner(s). One of the gears fell off my first one after about a year, so it wouldn't pump the cleaning fluid into the chamber. The replacement I purchased (for about $40) will not lock/latch in the down position so I have to use scotch tape to keep it closed for the cleaning cycle to run.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Keeping the razors clean is key to a good shave and keeping the blades sharp for a longer period of time.

I do the best I can with the provided brush and an aerosol spray (Remington-made, I think) that doubles as a cleaner and lubricator. But that's why I've always been curious about the cleaners and how they work.

Are they noisy? How long does it take for them to work? they use cartridges? How long do they last? How is the razor actually cleaned? Is liquid involved?

As you can see...I have no clue. I remember once looking at the packaging/box for one of the Brauns with the cleaner...and it gave NO indication of how the things work.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

My cleaner is a little noisy, but it's in our bathroom, so it's not a big deal. A cleaning-only cycle takes probably 10 minutes. If you select both cleaning/charging, the cleaning cycle still takes ten minutes, but it takes longer to complete charging.

You do need to use disposable cartridges, which contain a solution that smells like alcohol. There are two chambers in the cartridge -- one for the clean liquid, one for the dirty liquid. The fluid passes through the head and washes away the shavings. When the fluid is gone, an indicator light on the unit alerts you to change the cartridge. You can get about 30 cleanings per cartridge, which cost about $7 - $8 each if you buy multi-packs.

I have not experienced any problems with the cleaner like Malcolm described above. I'm still using the one that came with the razor, which is three years old. It still works like the day I bought it.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter

I've been shaving that way for four years, so sue me. ;) I've tried even more expensive hand shavers and found them not much better for the type of facial hair I have, so....

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I'm a BRAUN man as well....

Currently on the Braun 360

Really want to buy the Pulsonic...but I have held off thus far...it'll be my next one though

I have super sensitive skin...plus I'm in the military (so I have to shave a ton)...and Braun is the only thing that has ever done the job for me.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
I think all rotery razors rip the hair out of my face, so I've given up on Norelco etc. I use one of the Brauns with the cleaning station and its the only time I've not given up on an electric razor after a few months. I have probably $500+ of near mint electric razors over the course of my live because I keep trying them.

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I just shaved for the first time using the Braun Pulsonic (9595) and it is amazing. The best shave I have ever had (including one I had done at "The Art of Shaving" in Las Vegas) during my lifetime. Note: I shave a ton, as I'm in the military.

I have been using other Braun electric razors over the past 5-6 years...and I usually only upgrade to the newest model out of curiosity. That was the reason for this upgrade anyway. I was previously using the Braun 360 (8985).

The Braun Synchro (8995) is a bit pricey, but amazon has it right now for $219.99, but you get a $50 amazon credit, so that helps out a bit down the road.

Here is details on the promotion at amazon:

$50 Braun and Oral-B Offer
Get a promotional certificate good for $50 off a future Amazon.com purchase when you spend $129 on select Braun - Shavers, Hair Styling, Health, Beauty Care & Kitchen Products and Oral-B products offered by Amazon.com in Health & Personal Care. This offer applies only to purchases made between February 1 and February 29, 2008.

Chris Souders

Stunt Coordinator
Ok,

So I got the pulsonic and I like it fine.
I hate that the plug for the base is like 4 inches of solid plastic that points directly out (perpendicular) to the plug on my bathroom wall.
Is there some sort of adaptor that swivels so I can align it parallel to the wall and get it out of my way???

Chris

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
I received an alert to this thread on my iPad this evening. I had forgotten all about home theatre forum. What is this Ron’s way of getting people to come back? Interesting that this thread was the one that alerted me, because I am looking for a new razor as I dropped my recent one in a hotel bathroom tile floor. Sorry to bring up an old thread, I just thought it was weird that I received a notification and most recent post was more than 10 years ago.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I received an alert to this thread on my iPad this evening. I had forgotten all about home theatre forum. What is this Ron’s way of getting people to come back? Interesting that this thread was the one that alerted me, because I am looking for a new razor as I dropped my recent one in a hotel bathroom tile floor. Sorry to bring up an old thread, I just thought it was weird that I received a notification and most recent post was more than 10 years ago.
You got an alert because this thread was revived by a suspected spammer, who's post has since been removed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks