What's new

Does a small, good sub exist? (1 Viewer)

Doug BW

Stunt Coordinator
Many excellent suggestions in this thread. However, I'd like to make a suggestion that would point Brad in a somewhat different direction, at least for now.

For those who haven't been following all of Brad's recent threads, the reason he's contemplating buying a small sub is because he just took delivery of an SVS PB1-ISD and was a bit taken aback by its large size.

I'd respectfully suggest, though, that it's not in Brad's best interest to pursue buying another sub at this point in time. Here's my reasoning:

1. He already has a sub.
2. Many people....not everyone, but many people....find that over time "large" new objects in their room "shrink". (I know that years ago when we first got a 35" TV it seemed immense. Now it doesn't. Same with my 46" tall SVS cylinder.)
3. SVS gives Brad 45 days to return the sub if he doesn't want it.
4. If Brad does send the SVS back, he loses the cost of roundtrip shipping. Money wasted.

So I would urge Brad to wait a good 30 days before even thinking about getting something else. It may keep him from wasting money and will give him the opportunity to "get used to" the large size of the SVS. It's been known to happen. He'll also get a chance to learn whether or not he likes the sound of the SVS. Is there anything lost by waiting 30 days?

In the meantime, he should bookmark this thread. At the end of the 30 days, he may find that he still dislikes the look of the SVS. At that point, he'll find that every one of the excellent suggestions in this thread are still excellent, and that every option is still open to him.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
You make an excellent point Doug. In my case returns of either SVS or Hsu subs would not even come up as both would fail the WAF criteria. The SVS because of its size and looks and the VTFs because of their looks.

Which was why I’d been researching products like the Adire Rava and the Rocket UFW-10.

Basically I agree with Michael’s decision. Money was not the point in both meeting my wife’s criteria (and mine).

Martice

Screenwriter
Hi Lew. Since you are considering the HGS10 and you don't want bass that will destroy your houses foundation(?), how about a ten inch Dayton Titanic MKII in a sealed cabinet
with a Velodyne HGS type finish like the one below:

It would be smaller than a Rava and at the same time, it would still get you very good performance at a third of the price of a Velodyne.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Martice,

The cool thing is, you can get the Dayton 10" MKII (or even a Rava clone) in whatever finish you want. If you're like me and don't like piano gloss finish then you can have rosewood, or cherry, or oak, or maple, or burl walnut, or...:D

chun howe

Stunt Coordinator
seems like rava sub is custom made using shiva subwoofer.

the more i hang out here the more addicted to it. :D

those three mention by martice will do a custom subs at a good price? i am thinking hsu vft-2. but now i am thinking even harder.:D

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
The Rava is a sealed sub based on the Shiva and the AVA250 plate amp. The Dharman is a ported sub using the same components.

Daniel T.

Agent
I'm real happy with my Boston PV1000. Smallish, beautiful cherry finish and sounds pretty good to boot. MORE than enough grunt for music(I'm 90% music and 10% movie here), seems to get the job done with the wacko ultra-low freq's in movies. Only problem with the sub is that it'll wander about the room when the bass gets heavy. I fixed that by melting down 100 pounds of lead shot and making a "plate" the same size as the top of the sub and strappin it to the top. It sits and does its thing now without doing the off-balance washing machine impression.

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
The Velodyne HGS-10 can be found heavily discounted many times well under $1k, I have seen a few ver.II at audiogon sell at $700, I was lucky to find one right here in the Hardware For Sale/Trade area for $400, it arrived in perfect shape, but it had driver problems, I dropped it off for service & Velodyne replace the driver and did the amp upgrades for free. It's a great sub, If your not in a hurry shop around some real deals can be found.
Earthquake has some small sub's also.
I have had the Sunfire Sig, The HGS imo blows it away in music.
-Jerry

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
You can get the Velodyne HGS-10 new for approximately $1,500 out the door--at least I did. It's a truly great sub.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks