What's new

Doctor Who (1 Viewer)

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
The first four bullets look correct, Josh. I believe the Day of the Doctor Blu-Ray was 1080p24 around the globe, with audio issues from the slowdown to boot. Partially this is because the requirements of the Blu-Ray 3D format. The rest I can't speak to.

There was apparently one way to get Day of the Doctor at the correct speed on Blu-ray. There was a limited box set in the UK (and possibly Australia) that contained Name, Day, and Time of the Doctor, plus The Five-ish Doctors and An Adventure In Time & Space. Day of the Doctor was 24p in the box, but the BBC set up an exchange program in which you could send in the disc and receive a 50i disc instead.

I have the set, but I kept forgetting to send it in. Not sure if they'd still take it, or if they would have taken it from the US anyway.

Of course, there is always the possibility of a future release :)

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Great, thanks for the help everyone. This really is one of the most frustrating collections I've ever put together.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Actually, Day Of The Doctor officially has two correct speeds.

The 3D version is proper at 24p, since that corresponds to its worldwide simulcast theatrical showing. The 2D should be 50i, and is available as a replacement disc as part of the limited edition 50th Anniversary UK exclusive box set.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Sadly New Who is leaving Netflix February 1st :(

Not Netflix, but DISH Network. Just bumped my package down a level to drop BBCA. Not a major loss,since Who was the main reason I had it (surprisingly expensive for just one show that I liked). Will switch back next year when Who starts up again.

Other than Doctor Who, it was filled with "Top Gear" and a zillion Gordan Ramsay reruns, so not missing much.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Doctor Who *has* left Netflix -- as anybody with the service can attest. Supposedly, the BBC is setting up their own streaming service at some point this summer and it will feature, exclusively, both Classic and Modern Who.

I own the majority of "Modern Who" on DVD due to the slowdown issues. The exceptions are "Time of the Doctor" and "Day of the Doctor".

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I thought the show was moving to Amazon streaming?

It had been on Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu for a good long while. If BBC is starting their own streaming service, does that mean their other shows will leave those platforms as well?

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Not Netflix, but DISH Network. Just bumped my package down a level to drop BBCA. Not a major loss,since Who was the main reason I had it (surprisingly expensive for just one show that I liked). Will switch back next year when Who starts up again.

Other than Doctor Who, it was filled with "Top Gear" and a zillion Gordan Ramsay reruns, so not missing much.
Orphan Black starts later this month. That is a big highlight of BBCA.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Orphan Black starts later this month. That is a big highlight of BBCA.

Tried Orphan Black for a while, but just didn't click. One of those shows where you either like it or you don't.

Kind of like Mr. Robot. I found it incredibly annoying, but apparently I'm in the minority. :) I'll give it a try again when it restarts, so possibly might reverse my opinion.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I love "Orphan Black", but it was definitely a show that took a while to get going. I was probably on the fence for half of the first season.

Binge watching definitely helped me with that show - my fiance was a fan, so when the second season started airing, I raced through the first season so I could watch the second with her.

I think there are times on that show where showrunners get stuck in a storyline that they think is more interesting than it actually is, but that's probably a complain that can be lodged against just about anything. it would have been cool to have stumbled upon it without knowing what it was about in advance, but alas I knew that it was a show about clones, so the first couple episodes weren't as exciting as they would have been if it was a surprise. I find a lot of the backstory and the science to be more interesting than some of the characters. The show sometimes reveals stuff a little more slowly than I would like, but I really appreciate that they seem determined to give actual answers (even if they're handed out slowly) and not just tease things without resolutions.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Binge watching definitely helped me with that show - my fiance was a fan, so when the second season started airing, I raced through the first season so I could watch the second with her.

I think there are times on that show where showrunners get stuck in a storyline that they think is more interesting than it actually is, but that's probably a complain that can be lodged against just about anything. it would have been cool to have stumbled upon it without knowing what it was about in advance, but alas I knew that it was a show about clones, so the first couple episodes weren't as exciting as they would have been if it was a surprise. I find a lot of the backstory and the science to be more interesting than some of the characters. The show sometimes reveals stuff a little more slowly than I would like, but I really appreciate that they seem determined to give actual answers (even if they're handed out slowly) and not just tease things without resolutions.

The entire clone thing just lost me. I couldn't tell who was who after a while. Doctor Who of course is wonderful, but have to wait a while.

Wow, so many "who" references. Time to relax and wait until next year. ;)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member

Pearl Mackie has been cast as the Doctor's latest companion, Bill. The 28-year-old actress, who trained at Bristol Old Vic Theatre School, only has a couple minor screen credits but has been making a name for herself on the West End Stage. She currently plays multiple roles in The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time at the National Theatre. She is the first non-white companion since Freema Agyeman's run in the third series.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
OK, so I'm a Doctor Who newbie (yes, go ahead and revoke my nerd card). Just finished season 2 and man the end of that last episode was gut wrenching. Billie Piper did an awesome job. Probably start season 3 this week. Been binging on Amazon Prime most of the weekend. So far I like it, although I'm gonna miss Rose.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I just picked up the Series 1 Blu-ray from Best Buy, it looks to currently be an exclusive as Amazon says it comes out in June. I find it to be a decent upgrade in video quality from the NTSC DVD thanks to having actual increased resolution due to it's PAL format origins. There is a big increase in audio quality with the DTS-HDMA 5.1 included on the blu as oppsed to the Dolby Digital 5.1 on the DVD. I think they might have remixed it as well as I always hated the mix on the DVDs and it sound much better on the blu.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks