What's new

Doctor Who (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Moffat on Series 7: "I just felt watching last time around [Series 7] that ‘oh, it’s time we fixed that and changed that and moved that up a bit and changed that tone’. ... All shows age and they all age sort of in the same way. You learn how to do it, you get really slick at it, and then you think you’re really, really slick at it and everyone’s started to yawn. And you think ‘oh God, we’re really slick at this but everyone knows what we’re going to do’. ... So now we’ve got to actually get a bit raw at it and do it in a different direction. It happens on every show – you get good at it and ‘good at it’ is the enemy in the end."So it sounds like he wants to approach the show from a different angle for Series 8, which can only be a good thing.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
First photo from Series 8:
608.jpg

The first two episodes are directed by Ben Wheatley. The first episode is written by Steven Moffat, while the second episode is written by Phil Ford ("The Waters of Mars").

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
Adam Lenhardt said:
First photo from Series 8:
attachicon.gif
608.jpg

The first two episodes are directed by Ben Wheatley. The first episode is written by Steven Moffat, while the second episode is written by Phil Ford ("The Waters of Mars").
If the small sample from the one screenshot is any indicator at all, I'm going to like his look and feel better already. The new outfit reminds me of Classic Who. Also, I REALLY liked The Waters of Mars so having Phil Ford write some shows I should also enjoy, more so than what Moffat typically does.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I think those clothes are just the remains of Matt Smith's from the regeneration, and Clara is definitely in the same outfit from that scene, so I doubt we've seen the "official" look of the Twelfth Doctor yet.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
Bryan Tuck said:
I think those clothes are just the remains of Matt Smith's from the regeneration, and Clara is definitely in the same outfit from that scene, so I doubt we've seen the "official" look of the Twelfth Doctor yet.
I thought about that later and that is likely true. However, I have a feeling it will be something along those lines or maybe a touch of Pertwee and Tom Baker combined with a unique touch for his character (i.e. Tom's LONG scarf, Smith's bow tie).

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It's unquestionably the remains of Matt Smith's outfit, the same one he'd worn since "The Snowmen" minus the bowtie. It's possible they'll save the reveal of the Twelfth Doctor's costume until the new series premieres, although I doubt the promotional people will be able to resist.The new Doctor's costume is always a major departure from the previous one's, so at the very least aside from the bowtie I'm guessing no tweed.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
In the screenshot he does give off a sense of 'Dr. Who' that I didn't get from the Christmas special, so that's good. And I admit I did think of Pertwee when I saw it. :)

That said, when I heard his initial episode was written by the author of "The Waters of Mars" I was disappointed - "Waters", to me, minus the last few minutes, was some of the worst nuWho involving Tennant (and even those last few minutes weren't great). Here's hoping that was just a fluke and C. is off to a great run!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
KevinGress said:
That said, when I heard his initial episode was written by the author of "The Waters of Mars" I was disappointed - "Waters", to me, minus the last few minutes, was some of the worst nuWho involving Tennant (and even those last few minutes weren't great). Here's hoping that was just a fluke and C. is off to a great run!
Actually, his initial episode will be written by Steven Moffat. His second episode will be written by the writer of "Waters".

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
Adam Lenhardt said:
The Twelfth Doctor's costume:
attachicon.gif
TwelfthDoctorCostume.jpg

Reminds me a bit of the Third Doctor with the red lining in his jacket.
Yes, I'm loving the feel of the new Doctor already. It does indeed have a sort of 3rd Doctor vibe to it. I'm just hoping that means we are done finally with the Matt Smith style and rapid pacing. The 2-part shows they have done with new Who are better to me due to the more drawn out style and I would love to see more of that return.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Well I posted a while back that Capaldi's casting piqued my interest in the show and I have now made it through all seven seasons of the new version. Have to say I have avoided Doctor Who for a long time despite the fact it seems my kind of show, but there was something about it that I simple can't put my finger on that made me avoid it.

Anyway, I am glad I did as I have really enjoyed it. With no preconceptions (was aware of but never saw the original DW and I think I may have watched the McGann Tv movie on BBC1 when it aired) and only my awareness of how popular the show was in the UK - I remember friends being gutted when Tennant left - I have been surprised by how much I have taken to it and am really looking forward to the new season. It did take me a while to get into the show, with the first season watchable but Tennant's stint took it to a different level. The Girl in the Fireplace was the first episode that I really liked a lot and it became must watch TV with River Song's introduction (spoilers!!! :) ) . Tennant's season with Catherine Tate stands out as one of my favourites but I really enjoyed Season 5 and 6 with Matt Smith. Love pretty much any episode with the Weeping Angels, have enjoyed all of the companions to varying degrees with the exception of Martha who I never took to. Find most of the specials average especially the Christmas ones, with the exception of the final Tennant and Smith episodes. Interesting reading some of the reactions on here having watched the show cold - I could see it was time for Rory and Amy to leave but it was still moving when they did. Season 7 was also Smith's weakest year, but I have enjoyed him as the Doctor.

To me however, I like the fact it remains enjoyable and accessible to all, young and old and long may that continue. I have friends that love it, children I know love it and even some people I know who would never watch any sort of science fiction/fantasy watch it. It is tough to find a balance and of course there are some episodes that will appeal to others more strongly, but that is the strength of the show as well as it's willingness to freshen things up when they are starting to get stale. None have outstayed their welcome IMO, even Rory and Amy and more importantly most when gone have stayed gone which for a scifi show is unusual and welcoming and means their departures remain emotional. Even Piper's returns have been different than simply bringing her back for cameos.

Favourite Episodes :
S1 Dalek
S1 The Parting of the Ways
S2 The Girl in the Fireplace
S2 Doomsday
S3 Human Nature
S3 Family Of Blood
S3 Blink
S4 Partners In Crime
S4 Silence in the Library
S4 Forest of the Dead
S4 Turn Left
S4 Journey's End
S4 The Waters of Mars
S4 The End of Time Part 2
S5 The Time of Angels
S5 Flesh and Stone
S5 Amy's Choice
S6 The Impossible Astronaut
S6 A Good Man Goes To War
S6 The Girl Who Waited
S6 The Wedding of River Song
S7 The Angels Take Manhattan
S7 The Day of the Doctor
S7 The Time of the Doctor

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The BBC has announced that Samuel Anderson (The History Boys, Gavin & Stacey, Emmerdale) is set to join the cast of Doctor Who as a recurring character in series 8. Anderson will play Danny Pink, a teacher on the faculty of the Coal Hill School alongside Clara Oswald.
image.php.jpg

"Steven Moffat, lead writer and executive producer, added: ‘For the fourth time in Doctor Who history, Coal Hill School is coming to the aid of the TARDIS. In 1963 teachers Ian Chesterton and Barbara Wright accompanied the First Doctor. These days it’s the turn of Jenna Coleman as Clara Oswald. And very soon now, Sam Anderson as Danny Pink will be entering the world of the Doctor. But how and why? Answers are coming later this year in Peter Capaldi’s first series of Doctor Who!’"

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Tonight is the first night of a 2 night David Tennant Fathom Event. Tonight Rise of the Cyberman and the Age of Steel will be shown. Tomorrow night is a nature documentary in 3D that David did the narration for.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
There's a rumor that Paul McGann will be returning for Season Eight:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/forums/doctor-who/77666-rumor-galore-easter-special-returning-foe-mcgann-capaldi-team-up.html

This was posted back in December, and it's based on someone's tweets, but apparently the guy knew about the minisode before anyone else did (and the Master's upcoming appearance), so this may be the real deal.

McGann recently posted a photo of himself on Facebook in costume standing in the TARDIS (from the anniversary special). This photo has also fueled the rumor.

Wouldn't mind this at all. Paul McGann's basically gotten robbed these past nine years of the chance to doing anything onscreen (apart from the minisode), so here's hoping. A McGann/Capaldi team-up could be awesome.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Josh, while I'd love more Eighth Doctor, I think it's more likely that McGann's photo was about the sequel to Peter Davison's mockumentary The Five(ish) Doctors that tied into the 50th anniversary and featured all of the surviving actors who played classic era Doctors. See here.

Apparently the latest issue of Doctor Who Magazine (#475) revealed a nearly complete breakdown of the writing and directing credits for the upcoming series eight:

Episode #|Writer |Director |Filming Block
---------+---------------+-----------------+-------------
8x01|Steven Moffat |Ben Wheatley |Block 1
8x02|Phil Ford |Ben Wheatley |Block 1
8x03|Mark Gatiss |Paul Murphy |Block 3
8x04|Steven Moffat |Douglas Mackinnon|Block 2
8x05|Steve Thompson |Douglas Mackinnon|Block 2
8x06|Gareth Roberts |Paul Murphy |Block 3
8x07|Peter Harness |Paul Wilmshurst |Block 4
8x08|Jamie Mathieson|Paul Wilmshurst |Block 4
8x09|Jamie Mathieson|Douglas Mackinnon|Block 5
8x10|TBC |TBC |Block 7
8x11|Steven Moffat |Rachel Talalay |Block 6
8x12|Steven Moffat |Rachel Talalay |Block 6

Glad there's only one Mark Gatiss episode, since I never seem to care for his episodes. Happy to see Phil Ford back, since I enjoyed "The Waters of Mars". Steve Thompson isn't my favorite "Who" writer, but I haven't hated either of his episodes either. Loved "Planet of the Dead" and his two Eleventh Doctor episodes, so I'm really glad to see Gareth Roberts back. Not too familiar with Peter Harness or Jamie Mathieson, but I'm happy to see some fresh blood on the writing staff, especially for the debut series of a new Doctor. It's always good to see the character tackled with outsiders' eyes.

I'm equally happy with the staple of fresh directing talent: Ben Wheatley, Paul Murphy, Paul Wilmshurst and Rachel Talalay are all new to directing "Doctor Who". Things were getting a little creaky in series seven, so I'm glad they're tackling season eight with overwhelmingly fresh eyes. Other than a possible surprise for episode 10, Douglas Mackinnon is the only returning director, having directed episodes for both the Tenth and Eleventh Doctors. He's not my favorite director on "Who", but I'm fond of him for directing "The Power of Three", which was easily one of the most offbeat offerings of the Moffat era.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks