What's new

Doctor Who Star quits! (1 Viewer)

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
For the most part a fine thread. I hate to see anyone get mad at one another for different opinions. Seems we all enjoy Dr. Who. Now if we could just get the damn thing on over here. Why A&E or BBC America wont have it i don't know. Hate to hear it is an uneven show. I do remember a few uneven Tom Baker shows, and even more uneven Davison, and even MORE uneven Collin Baker. But maybe after the first year they can work the kinks out of the thing...heres hoping anyway.

Battlestar Galactica starts here in the States on July 15th..i think, and October across the pond. I could be wrong, as i often am about dates. :)

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey

I don't think going from a comedic episode to a Drama episode is uneven. It could be as serious as the new Battlestar Galactica every week. A good show but much too serious. Doctor Who has some very intense episodes and then others are more light hearted. That is not a bad thing.

Derek_J

Stunt Coordinator

Is Bad Wolf suppossed to be the ep that all the fuss is about? The Doctor and the captain flirted with the game show chick, but with each other? When did that happen? They overshadowed the dialogue with the music, so perhaps I missed it?

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
The last show was pretty amazing. Like nothing I have ever seen in a Doctor Who episode. Epic, Dramatic Compelling and some wonderful powerful character moments.
There was nothing naughty in this episode
If some are referring to the moment when
Captain Jack kisses both the Doctor and Rose goodbye as too much, well, I just don't get the critisism. It is explained in Doctor Who Confidential episode that the kiss was a way of saying good bye and showing that he cared for two characters Equally (regardless of their sex ) without all of todays hangups. It wasnt suppose to be meant as s sexual kiss and I don't think it comes off that way.

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
Yeah,

I had thought that it was his kiss of death - he knew they were all going to die, so he sent them off.

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor
So caught up with the final 5 episodes, Wow, that's what all the fuss was about?

I really enjoyed it and look forward to more.

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
Hopefully CBC will re-run the series after this week's finale - I missed several episodes and was unable to keep up :frowning:

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
Well, that's it. It's aired in Canada now. So I hope I'm not out of line not spoilerizing my next comments.

First, great series! One minor complaint I had about the finale, and in fact a few of the other episodes, was the "Deus ex machina" ending. Dr. Who has always been about pulling a rabbit out of the hat at the last second, but I wish this had been one of the areas to be revised in the new Dr. Who. Oh well, it's a minor complaint at best.

Now. Consider the last episode. The Deleks invade Sat. 5, and kill over 100 people. They also bomb a number of cities out of existence. There's a reference to all the people "transmatted" to their ships being "fileted". This doesn't raise an eyebrow for children's viewing in this thread. But show two guys having a platonic kiss, and suddenly the show isn't child friendly anymore. Make a couple of suggestive comments, and we're corrupting our children.

I mean really!

It has always been the case that violence is more acceptable on television than sex, or sexuality, or even things that can be mistaken for sexuality.

I guess it is what it is. But it still seems strange to me.

Martin.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Speaking for myself Martin, and if you forget we have not seen the show here in the states, i don't worry so much about either of my kids blowing up a city. But when it comes to sex on TV (of any kind)or bad language i have to keep my guard up. Not that what was on Dr. Who was a bad thing for say, but to some people thats where they draw the line. It is a parents choice. I would be more worried that parents let their kids watch Team America thinking it is just a puppet movie.

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
Hey, I'm all for parents making responsible decisions about their childrens viewing. IMHO, parents all too often shirk this responsibility. And I have no problems with whatever decisions they make about what is and is not acceptable. New Dr. Who (or the old Dr. Who for that matter) may not be deemed acceptable - no problem!

But please don't consider your morality (I don't mean you Rick! :)) as the standard to which all society should hold itself. If you know what I mean. I applaud the new Dr. Who for boldly going forth and just barely scratching the surface!!

Aw, I'm just a darn libertarian - ignore me!

Martin.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey

I agree with you. Violence has always been more acceptable but god forbid two males show a non intimate kiss (with no tounge) to express that they care for each other (in a non sexual way) before they go off to war.
Anyway the title of this thread can be changed to reflect that this is the Doctor Who 2005 review thread?

Derek_J

Stunt Coordinator
Repeats are on Sunday. This week should be no. 3.

I wish the new guy had said 'Fantastic!'

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG

:D
It seems clear now that he only ever signed for one year to hook the audience, and that Tennant was always going to replace him. Eccles didn't quit, he served out his contract.

edit: * okay, so maybe there *is* violence in a couple of CBaker eps (e.g. Peri clubbing the mutant to death). And I'm also not counting characters being shot with a laser as violence. Anyway, you know what I mean. ...Or do you? ;) :)

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
I dunno. If somebody gets shot and dies, that seems kinda violent to me. In the penultimate episode, Captain Jack and the Doctor did fight their way out of that holding cell. And they didn't do it with pretty words... :)

And in Earthshock, the Doctor did suffocate the Cyberman with Adric's gold medal thingie, and then shoot him in the chest repeatedly. Ah, good times!

Martin.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG

By that measure, think about all the poor little aliens or humans that die in a game of Defender! Talk about violent! :)

I suppose I'm talking about graphic human-to-human violence. I don't think human-to-alien violence can really be compared, because it isn't so relatable to real life.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks