What's new

Doctor Who 2005 - Season 2 (UK broadcast) (1 Viewer)

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
So, any opinions on the season opener?

Not the best episode of the series, but not the worst either. And I had already guessed how the main villain could have survived the last enounter.

Decontamination was certainly funny. You don't see that approach to often in sci-fi productions! :)

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
It wasnt a bad episode - not great, but it was no Horns of Nimon either. And frankly I wasnt expecting much - since when is the opening story for ANY new Doctor any good? You have to go all the way back to Spearhead From Space for that.

Naw, theyre just warming up. This is just the appitizer.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Sorry to be the dissenting voice, but I loved it. I think they got the new Doctor well bedded-in, Ms Piper was allowed to act a wider range, and it set the scene nicely for the rest of the series.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
Personally, I can't wait for the third episode! Sarah Jane Smith! And what will we learn on that episode? My guesses are that Micky was one of her more troublesome pupils, and that Micky will be the only one to figure out how to properly fix K-9. The doctor originally built it from a kit, not from scratch -- or was that the Mark II?

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Pretty lousy, but it had its good moments too. The cat make-up was excellent, in contrast to the CGI. I could pick holes in the plot all day, but I won't, because it wasn't trying to be any more than a frothy series opener. On a superficial level I enjoyed it. But Billie Piper is still carrying the show.

However, I liked the incidental music a lot. :emoji_thumbsup:

Next week's looks a lot better.

MattCleary

Stunt Coordinator
CGI did look pretty rough... As a former Brit, trust me, I've seen the worst the BBC has to offer on a weekly basis for twentyone years ;)

Looking forward to the Peter Kay episode :D

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Yes, a much better episode this week. 7/10.
CGI was improved too.
The biggest problem these eps have is that they don't have the time to build up a really good story. But I look forward to the two-parters.

Two old friends back next week, and Tony Head standing next to a door marked "MASTER", he-he. :)

Was this the first one of the new series without any sort of sexual innuendo? Don't know what RTD was smoking, but bravo! :)

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron

Then again, the werewolf was naked... :D

Definitely a better episode than last week's opener. I especially liked the washed-out color scheme and the high shutter speed, making the episode seem more surreal. But honestly. Did anyone here not think that the telescope-like device wasn't going to be used for the dramatic finish at some point in time?

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
I figured out the diamond+telescope=laser about two seconds before the Doctor did, so I'm pleased with myself.

Very enjoyable episode. It's nice to see the classic Who "Base Under Siege" story alive and well in the 21st century. In fact, I thought the episode had very close paraells to The Horror of Fang Rock - isolated region with a history of supernatural goings on is besiged by a shapeshifting alien who is done in by a giant diamond powered laser.

I also think I've sussed out the "theme" of the season. The Doctor (and Rose) are . . . well, for lack of a better term, unprofessional. He's arrogant ("You want to take it up with a higher authority? Well, it stops with me!" from New Earth) and Rose's Childish fixation with the "We are not amused" even after dozens of people have been killed. The Queen hit it dead on the head - the Doctor is riding for a BIG fall if he keeps this up. . . .

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
This week's episode had a lot of interesting stuff. First, the series continued with the consequences of the doctor's actions such as leaving a companion i.e. Sarah Jane Smith behind without even so much as a good bye. Second, it's Rose facing the hard reality that she was not the first companion. Third, no one besides Micky realized that people could call Rose even though it was clearly demonstrated last season that she could call them!

Fourth, maybe it would be better if props from the original series remained in the original series. :)

I'm sorry, but that "dog" was incredibly lame! Then again, it did help out a lot by stating the obvious. "We-are-in-a-car."

Anyways, it still was a very entertaining episode. Time flew pretty fast with this one.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
I loved this episode. Probably my favourite of the new Who. Great script, direction, music, and cast.

Wonderful to see Liz Sladen back, and hasn't she aged well?! 58! Amazing.

Sarah-Jane's catfights with Rose were hilarious. Especially when they tried to out-trump each other on enemies. "The Loch-Ness Monster!" :D

nickGreenwood

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Greenwood
Anthony Head was fantastic in the episode. I haven't seen much of the old Doctor Who but this was great, for him to recognize Sarah Jane first and him being proud of her. Mickey was great in this, he's actually become a decent character now, I loved the parts of him comparing himself to "a tin dog". Glad to see that we're going to get more stories with him.
David Tennant is doing great, I mean, Christopher was easily a great Doctor, one of my favorites, but David is doing a good job being his own version of the Doctor while taking on all the quirks of the previous Doctors. I think I like David more than Christopher at this point.
Billie Piper, she's hot, and she's a good actress, I with Philip the out-trump each other scene with Sarah Jane was classic and the laughing with one another especially at the quirks of the Doctor was a good moment. I loved it when he was all confused as to why they were laughing.

Good episode, next week's looks weird.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation822
Recent bookmarks