What's new

Doctor just told me I have pink eye!! Who's had this before? Argggggg (1 Viewer)

Eve T

Supporting Actor
Okay yesterday my one eye felt like it had an eyelash or something in it and I kept pulling the lid down trying to see what was in my eye. It was really bothering me and to make matters worse I had an ear ache, sinus infection and headache to boot. I thought I might just be tired because I've been traveling on the road for about a month on and off. I woke up today and both of my eyes were glued shut! I've never had an eye infection of any sort that I can recall so this freaked me out. I went to the doc, he took my temperature and asked me if I was feeling real bad, I said no, just my eyes and my sinus's are bothering me. He said you have a temp of 102. I had no idea! Then he said I have conjunctivitis (pink eye) and that I'm highly contagious and that I could not go to work tonight or the night or so after. He said that usually a sinus or another virus infection go hand in hand with pink eye and put me on meds for both things. I can't touch my eyes or my face, have to wash my hands before and after I put the eye drops in my eyes and I think I'm going insane due to the fact that one of my pet peeves is having the feeling that something is in my eyes and not being able to do anything about it. How did I get this? I've not been in contact with anyone who has pink eye that I'm aware of. Doc said I could have had it 2 days before physical signs showed up and to throw away all my eye makeup as it is most likely contaminated. :frowning: my eye makeup cost a small fortune so I'm really bummed about that. Has anyone else had pink eye before? Any tips to help me try to stop focusing on my eyes and to keep my mind occupied on something else? I feel bad because my husband has most likely been exposed and now he has to take the meds too. I'm in the process of trying to disinfect things in the house and I'm spraying lysol like mad. Changed the pillow cases and bed linens because they said I could reinfect myself if I don't do that on a daily basis. Could I have gotten this while out on my travels at a restaurant or rest area? I feel so ick. I went to drop off my doctors statement at my place of business and my boss put up his hands in a skull and crossbones manner and said he didn't need to see the note and to get out and come back when I'm better. (My hands were clean I'm carrying this liquid hand sanitizer with me in my purse) I feel like I've got some deadly disease with the way people are avoiding me like the plague. Should I move to a lepar colony? :frowning:

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
Dear Eve,

Lord knows where pink eye comes from. I had it for the first time in my life back in February. "both of my eyes were glued shut" is dang right (well my left eye). It accompanied my terrible "upper resp. infection" (a cold as I call it). I hated using the eyedrops; that feeling is so crappy! Despite all efforts to keep it from spreading to the other eye, it did! after a week it went away. live and let live.

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
I had it when I was a child. Wasn't that bad, though. My son got it a few years ago and I tried my best to catch it from him so I could get out of work, I didn't care. I had a crappy job at the time and was desperate for some much needed time off--and it DIDN'T work. Believe me, I tried like crazy. The gods must've been laughing their asses off.:)

Eve T

Supporting Actor
Your job must have been really crappy. I can't imagine anyone trying to catch this dastardly infection on purpose.
It's driving me nuts!:angry:

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
I figured, hey, it's not fatal or anything, I've got money in the bank to cover a week or more off. When I didn't get it, I just couldn't believe it. Yep, that job was the pits. I've never been so desperate before or since.:laugh:

Mike boettner

Stunt Coordinator
In my life i've gotten it like 10 times!!! every time i'd come home on leave from Japan I would get it. I think it was from the plane. but anyway, pink eye can be fun, you just have to turn it into a game. when you wake up in the morning, time yourself on how long it takes to un-glue your eyes, then the next day, try to beat you old time!!!:D It will go away in a while, just listen to some music(cant really watch movies:frowning: ) and wait it out.
Mike(the pink eye king)Boettner

Eve T

Supporting Actor
Wow ten times! I can't imagine. I hope I don't get this again ever. I'll try the timing myself thing. ;)
I actually shouldn't be sitting here on the comp but it's taking my mind off my eyes a little bit, and one can only sleep for so long.
Hope it starts to get better by tomorrow...
wish me luck.

Paul Chalk

Stunt Coordinator
It's not that big of a deal. People really need to settle down in this clean freak society. I've had it several times, and never gone to the doctor because of it, and never missed school or work over it. My teachers and my boss didn't have a problem with it. And at school, everyone was bugging me about being stoned. :laugh:
Our family has a good remedy for pink eye. Rinse your eyes a couple times a day with warm milk. Works great too. It soothes the pain a bit, usually clears up after a day or two.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
I've had it many times, both as a child and an adult. Its highly contagious but once you get the drops, the symptoms subside pretty soon. I was feeling better in a day. I once, accidentally of course, gave it to a girl I didn't know when I was stuck sharing a hotel room with her on a school trip. We were only together for a few hours while we slept (different beds) and by the morning her eye was red too. In fact, I get it so often I just call my doc and he phones in a prescription so I don't even have to go in for a visit.

Hang in there Eve, you should feel better by tomorrow.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Um, same here. In fact, I have had so-called pink eye several times in my adult life--and with the least comfortable results: eyelids glued shut, along with a general swelling that makes me look like Lon Chaney Sr.'s portrayal of Quasimodo in the original The Hunchback of Notre Dame. The entire area was very red, as well.

I've also had a number of--my goodness, how do you spell it?--styes (or sties?). Looks similarly ghastly.

And there's no being comfortable during the experience. My sympathies.

Eve T

Supporting Actor
Jack I've had styes (sties)? before and they are absoutly dreadful. This pink eye thing is the worse thing I've had as far as eye infections are concerned.
I'm going to bed. Hope things are a little better in the AM.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
I had it in one eye before. No big deal. I took the meds and it cleared up in a few days. I wasn't told to stay home from work and I wasn't told to dispose of my contacts (I now wear disposables.) Thankfully nobody I worked or lived with were paranoid enough to avoid contact with me over it.

Eve T

Supporting Actor
Well, I tried to go back to sleep and I just can't. The irriation in my eyes is driving me mad..that and this terrible sinus infection. :frowning:
Mike: it might depend on what stage of the infection you were in when you visited the doctor. The doctor told me a person is most contagious in the first 24 to 48 hours when the infection first appears in the eyes. Mine is pretty bad at the moment both eyes are swolen and leaking that sticky pus like substance and clouds over my eyes to where I can't see at times. still you would think by the way the people acted at work towards me that I should have been in a bubble or bio-hazard suit. :eek:

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
OUCH I've had a sty before, for whatever reason the doctor couldn't pop it to relive the pressure (too deep or something?) man did that hurt for a few days.

I've NEVER had pink eye, and I'm 24. My roommate had it last spring, she caught it early and it went away in a few days, I hope the same happens for you.

Paul Chalk

Stunt Coordinator
Eve, it sounds like you have a really bad case of it. Might I suggest you try the milk remedy I mentioned above? It really helps in rinsing that gunk out of your eyes.

Brian E

Screenwriter
I got this last year and man did it suck. I remember waking up and not being able to open my eyes. It was kind of freaky not being able to see until I was able to wet a warn wash cloth to help disolve the gunk so I could open them.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
What is the nature of pink eye? Is it a bacterial infection?
Eve, you sure you need to destroy your cosmetic collection? Is there some way you can disinfect them, or scrape the surface area of the cosmetic (for example, lopping off a portion of your lipstick)? Hmm, but in your condition, somehow I don't think you'd want to risk that. :)
I've been dealing with my allergies all my life, and I don't ever recall having a really bad case of pink eye. Because, dammit, I could never tell! I probably did, but with an overactive immune system, I'm certain it would never have lasted more than a few days, if I ever did catch it.
Eve, to make yourself feel better, I suggest watching the South Park Pink Eye episode! ;)

Andrej Dolenc

Stunt Coordinator
I had pink eye once, but only on one eye. At least you have eye drops, when I had it, I got some kind of ointment which I had to put in my eye. I was told the same thing, highly contagious, blah blah blah. I thought it was kind of cool cause if somebody was bugging you, I could give them the evil eye - just stare at them with my one eye that is completely red, not a spec of white in it.

As for the itch and such, take some Benadryl. Histamine blocker to help relieve the itch, plus it makes you drowsy (at least me it does) so it knocks you out. Worked great when I had an allergic reaction to penicillin.

Andrej

Eve T

Supporting Actor
I've never seen the South Park pink eye episode. (I know I'm lame) but I'd like to. :)
Milk? How does the milk help the infection? I'm not doubting you just wondering how it helps. When the milk is warmed does it bring out some type of bacteria in the milk that helps counter the bacteria in my eyes?
About the makeup, as far as I know the doctor said I only have to toss my eye makeup away ie. eyeliners both liquid and pencil (channel)Mascara(Christian Dior) and eyeshaddow (Lancome)I use a slew of different things each day and mix and match makeup combinations so as far as I can figure with the items I've used I'm out 260.00 not including sales tax :frowning: :angry:
I've been on the road for awhile and the only way I can think that I got it was by touching something such as money, a door or hand rail, or even a table or plate at a restaurant and then rubbing my eyes.
I'm a bit better today and just put the drops in my eyes. I've gone through about 100 tissues and am about to wash my pillow cases (again) If you saw how bad this infection is you'd probablly do the same as not to chance re-catching it.
I have 11 more days on the respitory infection medicine and so far it doesn't appear to be helping much, but then again I've only been on it for 2 days so far.
Thanks for the tips on this subject. I appreciate them all.
Here is my advice to everyone, NEVER touch your eyes, without washing your hands first. You never know if this crappy virus may be on your hands/fingers and I'd hate for anyone to get this if they didn't have to.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks