What's new

Dobie Gillis Coming from Shout Factory (1 Viewer)

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I have them both and the movie was far more in the spirit of the series. Casting Connie Stevens to replace Tuesday Weld was inspired although Weld is pretty hard to replace.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Great news. I used to watch the reruns on cable and enjoyed them. My unscientific memory is that the first year and a half (the high school years) was far superior to the rest. Do those of you who have clearer memories of the show recall it the same way?

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I liked the college years the best , the "Dunkie" episodes with Bobby Diamond the least .But the early episodes were classics and I actually like the whole series . Can't wait to buy this. I already tried to pre-order it but Amazon isn't taking orders yet.

Jobla

Supporting Actor
I prefer the later college episodes, myself. I think I least enjoyed the "in the army" period. I look forward to buying the complete series.

DaveHof

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
I prefer the earlier episodes myself. I love "The Best Dressed Man," with Tuesday Weld's near orgasmic responses each time Dobie and Milton try to one-up each other with their fashion statements, and William Schallert's hilarious responses to the competition. Thalia was an unrepentant gold-digger but my heavens she was stunning.

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
The final season of "Dobie" is a tough watch. By this time, Maynard was the focal point of the show and some episodes only had Dwayne Hickman in the wraparound segments. Late in the 4th season, the series seemed to try to regain some of the earlier episodes style and charm but it was too late. Frank Faylen is always a joy to watch and I've always been especially fond of the lovely Jean Byron in the later episodes as Dr. Imogene Burkhart. I'm still thrilled that Shout Factory is going to release the whole series. Can't wait!

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Originally Posted by LouA
Shout is a great company. I'll be buying this as soon as it comes out. Now if Paramount would get out the rest of Sgt. Bilko I would be even happier yet!
Lou,
Agreed and agreed. We also need Paramount to give us the final season of Have Gun Will Travel!

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
It's been 20 years since I saw this show when Nick at Nite had it in reruns. Can't wait to see how the DVDs turn out.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
DaveHof said:
I prefer the earlier episodes myself. I love "The Best Dressed Man," with Tuesday Weld's near orgasmic responses each time Dobie and Milton try to one-up each other with their fashion statements, and William Schallert's hilarious responses to the competition. Thalia was an unrepentant gold-digger but my heavens she was stunning.
Also prefer the High School episodes as well. Tuesday Weld was the Drew Barrymore of her day, the original wild child. For someone as talented and beautiful as she was, she really didn't have that great of a career. Other than The Cincinnati Kid, I can't really think of any memorable movies that she starred in.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Neil Brock said:
Tuesday Weld was the Drew Barrymore of her day, the original wild child. For someone as talented and beautiful as she was, she really didn't have that great of a career. Other than The Cincinnati Kid, I can't really think of any memorable movies that she starred in.
I'd throw in SOLDIER IN THE RAIN ('63) and especially PRETTY POISON ('68), but point taken.

Neil Brock said:
Also prefer the High School episodes as well. Tuesday Weld was the Drew Barrymore of her day, the original wild child. For someone as talented and beautiful as she was, she really didn't have that great of a career. Other than The Cincinnati Kid, I can't really think of any memorable movies that she starred in.
One more memorable starring, or at least costarring, role, Once Upon a Time in America.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Neil Brock said:
I'd add Lord Love a Duck to the list short list. Reportedly she's turned down films, notably Lolita, Bonnie and Clyde, True Grit, and Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice, which she felt would throw her into the spotlight too much.

PatrickGoodluck

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Patrick
It would be wonderful if Tuesday came out of seclusion to do some commentary on an episode or two.

ChrisOC

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Peterson
I just saw the news. I've been catching up with the show on MeTV now that TWC is carrying that channel in our area. It's a great show, and I'll be buying the set when it's released.

ChrisOC

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Peterson
RBailey said:
The final season of "Dobie" is a tough watch. By this time, Maynard was the focal point of the show and some episodes only had Dwayne Hickman in the wraparound segments.
There were only a few in which Hickman was largely absent, and that was due to his being sick. That season had some ridiculous plots, though; I think Schulman wasn't as involved by then, and it shows.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Hi Rich , Season 6 of Have Gun Will Travel was announced today for Spring release in two half season sets. Good news! Check out the TV Shows On DVD site for details.

Sky Captain

Second Unit
Real Name
Neville Ross
Neil Brock said:
That would have been a much better idea than what Komack did. Dobie and Zelda were married, he was running the grocery store, had a smart ass teen son and was this really downbeat, depressed guy. And Maynard showed up with white hair playing a hippie guru. It was as bad as it sounds.
Considering all that Dobie was trying to do in the original show (get Thalia to be with him, and get money so that he could be with her) what happens in the reunion was fine by me; it only shows that Dobie had to face reality instead of living in a fantasy. Also, Maynard was always like a hippie, so him being a hippie guru fits quite well.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Sky Captain said:
Considering all that Dobie was trying to do in the original show (get Thalia to be with him, and get money so that he could be with her) what happens in the reunion was fine by me; it only shows that Dobie had to face reality instead of living in a fantasy. Also, Maynard was always like a hippie, so him being a hippie guru fits quite well.
Seeing him go from a happy teenager who was always chasing beautiful girls to a sad, depressed, middle-age man, married to Zelda, still annoying as ever, was not something I ever needed to see.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks