Dobie Gillis Coming from Shout Factory

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by RBailey, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Cinematographer

I have them both and the movie was far more in the spirit of the series. Casting Connie Stevens to replace Tuesday Weld was inspired although Weld is pretty hard to replace.

2. FanCollector

FanCollector Producer

Lee
    Great news. I used to watch the reruns on cable and enjoyed them. My unscientific memory is that the first year and a half (the high school years) was far superior to the rest. Do those of you who have clearer memories of the show recall it the same way?

3. LouA

LouA Screenwriter

Lou Antonicello
    I liked the college years the best , the "Dunkie" episodes with Bobby Diamond the least .But the early episodes were classics and I actually like the whole series . Can't wait to buy this. I already tried to pre-order it but Amazon isn't taking orders yet.

4. Jobla

Jobla Supporting Actor

I prefer the later college episodes, myself. I think I least enjoyed the "in the army" period. I look forward to buying the complete series.

5. DaveHof

DaveHof Stunt Coordinator

I prefer the earlier episodes myself. I love "The Best Dressed Man," with Tuesday Weld's near orgasmic responses each time Dobie and Milton try to one-up each other with their fashion statements, and William Schallert's hilarious responses to the competition. Thalia was an unrepentant gold-digger but my heavens she was stunning.

6. RBailey

RBailey Stunt Coordinator

John Hall
    The final season of "Dobie" is a tough watch. By this time, Maynard was the focal point of the show and some episodes only had Dwayne Hickman in the wraparound segments. Late in the 4th season, the series seemed to try to regain some of the earlier episodes style and charm but it was too late. Frank Faylen is always a joy to watch and I've always been especially fond of the lovely Jean Byron in the later episodes as Dr. Imogene Burkhart. I'm still thrilled that Shout Factory is going to release the whole series. Can't wait!

7. Richard Gallagher

Reviewer

Rich Gallagher
    Lou,
    Agreed and agreed. We also need Paramount to give us the final season of Have Gun Will Travel!

8. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    It's been 20 years since I saw this show when Nick at Nite had it in reruns. Can't wait to see how the DVDs turn out.

9. Neil Brock

Also prefer the High School episodes as well. Tuesday Weld was the Drew Barrymore of her day, the original wild child. For someone as talented and beautiful as she was, she really didn't have that great of a career. Other than The Cincinnati Kid, I can't really think of any memorable movies that she starred in.

10. Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald Screenwriter

Peter Fitzgerald
    I'd throw in SOLDIER IN THE RAIN ('63) and especially PRETTY POISON ('68), but point taken.

11. Guest

One more memorable starring, or at least costarring, role, Once Upon a Time in America.

12. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Cinematographer

Howie
    I'd add Lord Love a Duck to the list short list. Reportedly she's turned down films, notably Lolita, Bonnie and Clyde, True Grit, and Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice, which she felt would throw her into the spotlight too much.

13. Neil Brock

Makes sense as she's been a recluse for at least a couple of decades now.

14. PatrickGoodluck

PatrickGoodluck Stunt Coordinator

Patrick
    It would be wonderful if Tuesday came out of seclusion to do some commentary on an episode or two.

15. ChrisOC

ChrisOC Extra

I just saw the news. I've been catching up with the show on MeTV now that TWC is carrying that channel in our area. It's a great show, and I'll be buying the set when it's released.

16. ChrisOC

ChrisOC Extra

There were only a few in which Hickman was largely absent, and that was due to his being sick. That season had some ridiculous plots, though; I think Schulman wasn't as involved by then, and it shows.

17. classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy Producer

Byron
    "Return to Peyton Place", anyone? She replaced Hope Lange as Selena Cross.

18. LouA

LouA Screenwriter

Lou Antonicello
    Hi Rich , Season 6 of Have Gun Will Travel was announced today for Spring release in two half season sets. Good news! Check out the TV Shows On DVD site for details.

19. Sky Captain

Sky Captain Second Unit

Considering all that Dobie was trying to do in the original show (get Thalia to be with him, and get money so that he could be with her) what happens in the reunion was fine by me; it only shows that Dobie had to face reality instead of living in a fantasy. Also, Maynard was always like a hippie, so him being a hippie guru fits quite well.

20. Neil Brock

Seeing him go from a happy teenager who was always chasing beautiful girls to a sad, depressed, middle-age man, married to Zelda, still annoying as ever, was not something I ever needed to see.