What's new

Do you wish you could live in the past? (1 Viewer)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone observed kids doing something like texting each other face to face, in preference to actually talking to each other?

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Originally Posted by TravisR

I'm definitely not a person who sits around saying "Oh, these kids today!" Kids are still basically the same as ever but I do think that texting has negatively changed the way human beings interact with each other. I'm not saying that we, as a society, should rise up and topple cell phone towers (clearly, they have many advantages) but I think communicating with a person via text on a phone screen isn't the same as having a face to face conversation or even just conversing on a phone.

On the whole, I think e-mail, texting, and the Internet in general have changed the way we interact with one another for the better. It's easier & cheaper than ever to stay in touch with people all around the world, almost trivially so. It's much easier to stay in touch with people with whom one might otherwise have lost touch. Yeah, I dislike that it seems like everyone has his head buried in his iPhone or whatever all the time, but like Jack said, that's always been the case, just with Game Boys or comic books or whatever the latest thing was instead of iPhones.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Aesthetically and culturally, yes.

Socially, in terms of manners, definitely.

Socially, in terms of civil rights, absolutely not.

Technologically, forget it.

Luckily one has the ability to find the entire history of recorded media, a luxury denied to past generations.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
RobertR said:
Has anyone observed kids doing something like texting each other face to face, in preference to actually talking to each other?
No but I never said that anyone did that either.
cafink said:

On the whole, I think e-mail, texting, and the Internet in general have changed the way we interact with one another for the better.
I think it's great that you can remain in touch with a friend who lives on the other side of the world but if the only way that you communicate is through e-mail, texting, etc., I think you can lose some of that 'human touch' that can only come from being in a room with a person and having a conversation or at least hearing their voice on a phone. While I couldn't be happier to be in touch with my best friend from high school again (his family moved during our college years), there is a difference between us sitting down to BS for a couple hours and e-mailing each other or posting on Facebook.

CRyan

Screenwriter
I actually love technology in almost all of its forms. I like gadgets and have a real need to play with and learn about and OWN new tech. Although, I will admit that I do not have the patience for programming.

Anyway, I gave up my cell phone about a year and a half ago (was texting about 4-6 thousand texts a month). Getting rid of it was a big change - Also got rid of paid TV service (cable) but that is another story. I got rid of it because cell phone companies left me behind. I wanted a smart phone with wifi but didn't want the data plan they force upon you to get a phone that has wifi. Basically, at this point, if you want the latest and greatest phone, you have to have that extra $30 data plan - And I would never need it. So I decided that if I couldn't have the toy I wanted, I just wouldn't have a phone.

All of that to say, it has been hillarious to me now that I am without it. People have become very dependent on them. At work, I was to meet a coworker at the elevators to go to lunch. She decided to go ahead and go downstairs leaving me waiting at the elevators up stairs. She finally came back up looking for me and the first thing she said to me was "YOU SHOULD HAVE A CELL PHONE." I laughed. She did too, but I was like seriously - We need a phone and texting to meet at the elevator? The whole meeting people thing has become a nightmare for me without a phone. Because the reality is, everyone else has them. People rarely make concrete plans anymore because you can just change plans at the last minute. Hell, even my parents have fallen victim to that. They won't know where they are going or eating dinner until they are IN the car driving. They have had to change that now that I am without a phone and cannot be on my way until I know where they (we) are going.

With the people I know, it is now very common to simply say - Lets meet downtown or midtown and then decide the exact location after they are in the area. I am the one that always has to pin at least one of the people down to a specific location. Once I am with someone that has a phone, I am instantly connected. ha

And watching people drive has become a sort-of past time now. It is rare now that I do not get behind at least one person a day that is weaving back and forth and changing speeds constantly. I certianly imagine cell phones have something to do with that.

Different world for sure...

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
TravisR said:
I think it's great that you can remain in touch with a friend who lives on the other side of the world but if the only way that you communicate is through e-mail, texting, etc., I think you can lose some of that 'human touch' that can only come from being in a room with a person ... While I couldn't be happier to be in touch with my best friend from high school again ... there is a difference between us sitting down to BS for a couple hours and (anything else).
As they certainly said about the telephone, and before that the telegram, and before that the postal letter...and before that, anyone 20 miles away was a days travel and infrequently communicated with. Better imperfect communications than none.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by TravisR

No but I never said that anyone did that either.

[/QUOTE]

My point was that afaik, kids today aren't interacting with each other face to face less, but are supplementing it more with technology (cell talk/text, Facebook, etc.).

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
For me the answer is no. I love technology, and looking forward to it getting better. That being said, I don't have a facebook account or myspace. But every day I drive by my neighbors and they are sitting on their porch. They are not reading, or using a computer, or doing anything. They literally just sit there and watch the cars go by. I'm not one to tell someone how to spend their time, but I could never do that. I enjoy relaxing at the beach, but not for 3 hours everynight watching a car go by. That example of "a simpler time" doesn't appeal to me at all.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
CRyan brings up an excellent point. Cell phones have made it infinitely easier to make plans with someone, or to change plans at the last minute. They're also important for emergencies, especially while on the road or travelling in general. The peace of mind they afford in this regard is priceless, and easy to take for granted.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by CRyan

Basically, at this point, if you want the latest and greatest phone, you have to have that extra $30 data plan - And I would never need it. So I decided that if I couldn't have the toy I wanted, I just wouldn't have a phone.
FWIW, it's $15 now for the cheapest data plan. And once you have that data plan, you quickly find you need it :) (wifi is not ubiquitous)

Also: do you still have a landline at home? Having been cellphone-only for 8 years, I can't imagine not having one. And I'm not even a "figure out what restaurant I'm going to after I'm there" :)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by CRyan

Anyway, I gave up my cell phone about a year and a half ago (was texting about 4-6 thousand texts a month). Getting rid of it was a big change - Also got rid of paid TV service (cable) but that is another story. I got rid of it because cell phone companies left me behind. I wanted a smart phone with wifi but didn't want the data plan they force upon you to get a phone that has wifi. Basically, at this point, if you want the latest and greatest phone, you have to have that extra $30 data plan - And I would never need it.

I have a smart phone with wifi that costs me $25/month total, with unlimited texting and data.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by DaveF

I have a smart phone with wifi that costs me $25/month total, with unlimited texting and data.

Is that one of the Virgin Mobile plans?[/QUOTE]

Yes. It's working out very nicely. Talk is 300 minutes/month, which is plenty for me.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by RobertR

Yes. It's working out very nicely. Talk is 300 minutes/month, which is plenty for me.

What phone do you have? How's your coverage? I've got a coworker who's wondered about the VM plan, but is wary about possible coverage problems.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member

What phone do you have? How's your coverage? I've got a coworker who's wondered about the VM plan, but is wary about possible coverage problems.

VM calls it the LG Optimus V. It's AKA the Optimus LS 670. It's an Android 2.2 phone with the usual features (3G, wifi, Google Maps, Navigator, etc.). VM uses the Sprint network. I've yet to have any coverage issues (Navigator gave me turn by turn directions down to San Diego) , but your coworker could visit coverage web sites for his area to see how good it is. I love the phone, but my wife returned hers due to problems texting to/from Indonesia. If your coworker doesn't text internationally, he'd likely have no problems.

CRyan

Screenwriter

FWIW, it's $15 now for the cheapest data plan. And once you have that data plan, you quickly find you need it :) (wifi is not ubiquitous)

Also: do you still have a landline at home? Having been cellphone-only for 8 years, I can't imagine not having one. And I'm not even a "figure out what restaurant I'm going to after I'm there" :)

I have Magicjack at home so that is the only voice communication I have. Of course I have a phone at work as well. I will certainly admit I have missed the phone at times but as time has passed I have just gotten used to other forms of communication.

I can still text people using email - I know what carriers my friends have so that is easy. My email address is in their phones so they know who it is immediately. I even have a texting folder in my inbox so I know when I have a text.

As far as needing data on a phone, I just never used it or wanted to use it. The screens are just too small for me to want to pay for data on them. I have GPS in my car and that is the only thing I could ever imagine needing on a phone. Otherwise I can wait to look up whatever I need when I am at home. The desire for wifi was simply so I could use apps at home that require it.

I am married, so both of us not having cell phones and cable is saving us right at $300 a month. For me it is worth it at the moment. And after saying all that, I do know and realize I will have a phone again at some point - I just don't know when. Initially when I gave it up, I suspected I would be able to last about a year, but that has passed and I cannot figure out why I really need it just yet. :)

CRyan

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by RobertR

I will certainly have a look at pay-as-you-go again. The best deal I had seen when I was looking was closer to 35-40 not including taxes .

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I will admit, as someone who pays about $320/mo to ATT, so about 10 fold what you're talking, I'd be interested... but I never can find a plan that actually works for me.. how this deals with travelling in the past..

To be honest, one of the things I'd like about the past is no cell phones. I remember going out to the lake with my father fishing; if someone wanted to talk to him, a plant manager, they could wait until he got home.
I remember being able to have people respect my time on a Sunday, and not call me with ridiculous "non-emergency emergencies"

To be honest, basic problem solving has went into the toilet because people don't even try. I have colleagues who will get a call at 11PM over something simple but the person at the other end won't even try to solve it themselves because they know with one phone call they can get the answer, and they've been told to not try.

As much as I love the coolness of a cell phone, and couldn't live without mine because of the above, I miss the days of no cell phones. Quite a bit actually.

CRyan

Screenwriter
Oh yes, that has been one thing I have very much enjoyed. When I get in the car, it is my time again. When I go to the lake, I am completely free from someone trying to get in touch with me. People have come to expect immediate responses because they KNOW you always have your cell with you. And when you do not respond immediately it is as though you are ignoring them. Granted, you can always set limits yourself when you have a phone, but that just never seemed to work out too well for me.

Originally Posted by mattCR

I will admit, as someone who pays about $320/mo to ATT, so about 10 fold what you're talking, I'd be interested... but I never can find a plan that actually works for me.. how this deals with travelling in the past..

To be honest, one of the things I'd like about the past is no cell phones. I remember going out to the lake with my father fishing; if someone wanted to talk to him, a plant manager, they could wait until he got home.
I remember being able to have people respect my time on a Sunday, and not call me with ridiculous "non-emergency emergencies"

To be honest, basic problem solving has went into the toilet because people don't even try. I have colleagues who will get a call at 11PM over something simple but the person at the other end won't even try to solve it themselves because they know with one phone call they can get the answer, and they've been told to not try.

As much as I love the coolness of a cell phone, and couldn't live without mine because of the above, I miss the days of no cell phones. Quite a bit actually.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks