What's new

Do you tip a cleaning lady?? (1 Viewer)

Phil_L

Second Unit
I hire a big nationwide chain of cleaning services to clean my house. We have a set price and they just ask that I leave a check for the ladies who come to clean. Do I leave them a tip as well?

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
I think Miss Manners would say you should. Probably 5 bucks or so.
It's money very well spent. These are poor people with intimate knowledge of your life. You want them happy and on your side.

Denward

Supporting Actor
I have a woman who comes every week. I give her about 1 week's pay as a Christmas bonus every year.

Jason Adams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Jason Adams

Well...as long as you dont have sex with them and leave a white cashmere sweater with a red dot as a tip, you'll be fine. ;)

Give the nice lady something.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I used to deliver furniture and depended on tips to live.Whether I ate that day often depended on whether I received a tip,so I know what its like to need them and I always tip well.

My G/F used to have someone clean her house becuase its large and shes very busy. While the company made good money, none of the girls seemed well off and most drove crappy cars,were single moms,did this as a extra job,etc so she would tip them to make them feel appreciated and becuase they did a good job.

Mark Philp

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
If she does a good job, tip her. Most people doing cleaning are lucky if they make a little above minimum wage and they work very hard. You can be sure that all you pay the company isn't going to her. When I travel, I always leave something for the maid.

Tom Meyer

Second Unit
I don't tip my cleaning people. They are independent and come every other week. They charge $60 for probably an hrs work. $30/hr is plenty. I gave them another $60 for the holidays.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron

I sure do. I often suggest tips to my wife on how she can hone her cleaning skills.

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
When we used to have a cleaning lady - yes. Independent ones, too. It's still a hard way to make any money, we had 4 ladies show up at our house every 2 weeks. In an hour, they would finish the place - immaculately.

Sometimes, though, it doesn't need to be a monetary amount. You might give them something they want and you no longer use. In our case, a home exercise machine (unused for years) when we moved away.

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
I agree with the others, thoug we don't have one currently, I have found if you give them a tip they will do a better job, the trick is not to give them too much or spoil them, then they expect more.

Andy_G

Stunt Coordinator

I agree that employees who are given bonuses tend to perform better, but the way you express this seems more than a little bit patronizing. We are talking about adults here, low wage adults, but not children.

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
Adam,
I speaking in general, it seems if you "take care" of people that work for you its kewl and they perform better than if you did not but at a certain point that become used to you spoiling them and they expect it and even more, IMHO.
As far as from a house keeper stand point, my mother is 72 and she does this for her living even though she does not need to, she really does it just to be busy. It seems that people that have the money don't tip at all or very little and the ones that really don't have the money, DO tip, weird.

I guess to each his own.

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
Tips are generaly appreciated. At least I have found them to work for me in the past - usually, by the time you establish that you will tip nicely, anytime you walk into a place you can expect more from the folks. Whether cleaning ladies, a restaurant you frequent (not a McD's...), cab drivers, etc. Some may allow another fare or client to drop through and instead prefer to help you. And, sometimes, like in nice restaurants, you may get the chance to order something special from the chef de cuisine that isn't on the menu, hasn't been served ever before, and is absolutely stunning. Have had all of the above happen.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I don't tip my cleaning people. I guess that's mainly because I'm not here when they come and they automatically charge my credit card so I don't leave them any money.I completely disagree. Independants are the ones you should tip because they are doing it for themselves, the ones that work for a company may not even be allowed to accept tips.

John Alvarez

Screenwriter

Independents set thier price though where a company gets more than the cleaning person.
Do the same peple come every time?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks